Getting Out ( Pic Heavy )

DirtTime

I have been trying to be outdoors as much as possible and not on the internet.

I didn't get many days turkey hunting this past Spring, but those I did I was more listening, looking, and learning more then I was actually trying to kill a bird.

Been out for a ton of hikes, practicing some buchcraft in my yard, a few fishing trips, and a car camping trip.

Still have a lot planned for the Summer. More hikes to spots I haven't been too, and a few over-nighter camps in the sticks.

There are videos for some trips and I didn't take pics for all my dirt time outings. But here's a few pics for anyone interested.

Thacher Park and a few other places. No woods roads.

tpark4.jpg.5544e562a5cc09a1b7c033f5a7d275df.jpg

tpark2.jpg

tpark3.jpg

tpark1.jpg

tpark14.jpg

tpark5.jpg

20190622_093718.jpg

tpark12.jpg

tpark15.jpg

fshn2.jpg

fshn3.jpg

fshn4.jpg

fshn6.jpg

20190608_180749.jpg

20190609_134724.jpg

20190609_134923.jpg

20190609_135025.jpg

mvss9.jpg

• Like 10

On 7/2/2019 at 1:24 PM, DirtTime said:

I have been trying to be outdoors as much as possible and not on the internet.

I didn't get many days turkey hunting this past Spring, but those I did I was more listening, looking, and learning more then I was actually trying to kill a bird.

Been out for a ton of hikes, practicing some buchcraft in my yard, a few fishing trips, and a car camping trip.

Still have a lot planned for the Summer. More hikes to spots I haven't been too, and a few over-nighter camps in the sticks.

There are videos for some trips and I didn't take pics for all my dirt time outings. But here's a few pics for anyone interested.

Thacher Park and a few other places. No woods roads.

tpark4.jpg.5544e562a5cc09a1b7c033f5a7d275df.jpg

tpark2.jpg

tpark3.jpg

tpark1.jpg

tpark14.jpg

tpark5.jpg

20190622_093718.jpg

tpark12.jpg

tpark15.jpg

fshn2.jpg

fshn3.jpg

fshn4.jpg

fshn6.jpg

20190608_180749.jpg

20190609_134724.jpg

20190609_134923.jpg

20190609_135025.jpg

mvss9.jpg

Great pictures! And it's awesome you are getting out in nature, learning and enjoying!!

I grew up right above Thatcher Park, and have been walking that area for well over 50 years now. We have property that borders it, along where picture #2 was taken.That path goes back to what we still call Boyce's pond, pic #9. Until the late 80's, that land back there belonged to a man named Bill Boyce. And we had sole permission to hunt it all, including our land. Before he died, Bill gave/sold, his land to the state, so that it would be forever wild, and not developed. It is a beautiful parcel of land, enjoyed by many. Just as Bill wanted.

Lots of wildlife there too. On occasion you may even see a bear or two. The deer are there, but not in the numbers they used to be. I have even taken a couple members back in there, to show them the lay of the land, and suggested a couple spots to hunt. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, grampy said:

Great pictures! And it's awesome you are getting out in nature, learning and enjoying!!

I grew up right above Thatcher Park, and have been walking that area for well over 50 years now. We have property that borders it, along where picture #2 was taken.That path goes back to what we still call Boyce's pond, pic #9. Until the late 80's, that land back there belonged to a man named Bill Boyce. And we had sole permission to hunt it all, including our land. Before he died, Bill gave/sold, his land to the state, so that it would be forever wild, and not developed. It is a beautiful parcel of land, enjoyed by many. Just as Bill wanted.

Lots of wildlife there too. On occasion you may even see a bear or two. The deer are there, but not in the numbers they used to be. I have even taken a couple members back in there, to show them the lay of the land, and suggested a couple spots to hunt. 

I be one of those guys you showed a few areas with buck sign. I just don't hunt there anymore due to the morons dropping bait here and there. I remember you telling me about that old house and the foundation being there and that was sort of where the land you speak of starts and the state land ends. I still plan to try my luck at fishing that pond this Summer, and maybe even some frog hunting as the tad poles were pretty good sized. I enjoy hiking that area because it seems to see less traffic then the other trails most days, and I hate crowds when hiking these days.

Just getting to where I'd rather be out there then 'talking' about being out there. Life's short and I ain't getting any younger LOL.

• Like 2

Used to be some nice bass in that pond years ago Rob. Years ago, we would catch some at Thompsons Lake and put em in that pond. Last time I fished there I caught one 4+ pounds! Haven't fished it in at least 20 years now. But hopefully there are still some in there for ya. Good luck my friend.

A couple years ago, I heard DEC staked out a bait pile, near where you found one, and arrested two scumbags!!

Unfortunately on state land, you get all kinds. We usually have a trespasser or two ticketed every year from there. One group of scum we have had problems with for years. But we make it hard on them!

Perhaps you and I can team up for a hunt this fall?

On 7/9/2019 at 5:38 PM, grampy said:

Used to be some nice bass in that pond years ago Rob. Years ago, we would catch some at Thompsons Lake and put em in that pond. Last time I fished there I caught one 4+ pounds! Haven't fished it in at least 20 years now. But hopefully there are still some in there for ya. Good luck my friend.

A couple years ago, I heard DEC staked out a bait pile, near where you found one, and arrested two scumbags!!

Unfortunately on state land, you get all kinds. We usually have a trespasser or two ticketed every year from there. One group of scum we have had problems with for years. But we make it hard on them!

Perhaps you and I can team up for a hunt this fall?

Let me know what you have in mind for a hunt and we'll go from there. Your a good guy Dave, and I would enjoy a deer hunt with you.

• Like 2

Nice rob !!  I to went on a nice hike the other day fighting a cold but I managed to go out anyway. 

A few pictures this hidden gem of a park is one of the few places you can hike close to the long island sound  deer are often spotted crossing to and from long island from here .

There is patch of bamboo here that you will find no place else in the state.

20190709_160438.jpg

20190709_160431.jpg

20190709_160309.jpg

20190709_160152.jpg

20190709_160039.jpg

20190709_160022.jpg

Edited by Hawk914
  • Thanks 1