Pigeons 2019

Back from our travels. Took a drive through all my prime areas. They started cutting wheat today...one field the birds were already in it this evening.  Ill give them a coupke days to find the fields in big numbers. Hunted an half hour this evening at a dairy. 4 came in to the decoys sll at once and killed them all. Got a neat white tipped winged one. 

996B457C-EB3E-488A-B91B-918A328232C6.jpeg

• Like 3

Sure sounds like a great time in the field, especially at this time of year.  Sadly, in my area of the Catskills, we don't seem to have many pigeons around.  At least not that I know of.  The farms around here don't seem to have them around.  Mostly dairy farms around here.

Very slow yesterday. The birds again skirted our area and headed somewhere we couldn't identify. We moved to another spot and got 24. The main problem this year is that most all the wheat fields had green undergrowth. They had to cut it higher, and they now look like clover fields. There are a few clean wheat cut fields but I have not asked for permission. Some are just to close to homes, etc to shoot comfortably although it is perfectly safe. I don't relish upset homeowners coming across fields (they do not own) asking what we are doing. We will figure it out. We killed nearly 500 for the season so far.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, GreenDrake said:

Best hunt we ever had. Nephew and I killed 228 before we called it quits. Birds were still flying and coming into our set as we were picking up the dead and decoys. He made a couple shots today that I still cannot fathom. 

B423CFDE-6C67-4850-8847-C015647D5DDA.jpeg

Wow ! Hunting Central Park in NYC  today ?   Nice shooting

• Like 2

8 hours ago, GreenDrake said:

A cut wheat field.  One of the only wheat fields around with no green undergrowth this year.  They were piling in.  It was insanity

Sounds like about as much fun as a guy can have with his clothes on  !!….

• Like 2

My nephew had a difficult time concentrating at work today. All he could think of was the clouds of birds descending by the hundreds over the decoys. The hardest part was picking out singles to shoot. He got 4 birds in one shot then 4 singles with remaining shells. Best I did was a triple followed by 2 singles. The most fun was when 6-8 came in and we cleaned them all out in single shots. Planning the sequence as they are coming in and then changing quickly as they do some crazy things as they approach the decoys. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...