Tree Stand Saddles

andr3wxmma

Who has experience with them? I'm thinking about buying either a tethrd or Aero for this season but was curious if anyone on here has tried them and if they had advice on one or the other model and if a platform is the best idea and what one to get.

I only have the option to hunt public and pressured land and tend to like to move stands alot and hiking a normal setup 2-3 miles back or into a thick area is a pain. I have a climber but have had so many sketchy moments with it I barely feel safe in it anymore.

• Like 1

My self and a few members on here have been thinking of trying them. A guy I shoot with told me hes been using one since 96 and he said he almost never hunts a tree stand now. He says that its one of the best systems out there. Its a bit expensive to get into, but it looks worth it. 

I don't know anything about them, but I will say that you don't want anything like a soft tree-climbing saddle. They're not made for extended use like in deer hunting. Guys have died in trees from nothing more than hanging too long in a climbing saddle.

51 minutes ago, philoshop said:

I don't know anything about them, but I will say that you don't want anything like a soft tree-climbing saddle. They're not made for extended use like in deer hunting. Guys have died in trees from nothing more than hanging too long in a climbing saddle.

I think the op os talking about a tree sling,not a climbing harness. The slings are supposed to be comfy,not sure how the climbing part works...

For same reasons  

I made  my own  version long time ago  looked something like this used it with strap on steps to get up the tree  . Only used it a few times not for me .It's a strange way to shoot from facing the tree with the rope in front of you .  If you like that way of hunting go for it  its the kinda of thing you have to try to see if it's your thing I guess .   The one I made had aluminum frame  with wood on top same basic shape as that one but a lot more stronger looks like he just used plywood.  

images.jpeg-6.jpg

Edited by Hawk914

I did away with my climber and went with a Lone Wolf Alpha and LW climbing sticks. The part that made this easy is the linesman belt. So easy to get up a tree and not cut down all your cover like you do with a climber 

• Like 1

I'm giving saddle hunting a shot this year.  Ordered an aero kestrel and WE stepps with an aider.  Also going to use the bullman ring of steps this year which I already have and like alot but alot of guys prefer a platform.  Started this spring with a RCH and sit drag to get a feel for it for cheaper and liked it enough to order the kestrel.

I owned one and used it exactly once.  What I learned is that at my size, it was a huge chore setting up and I was sweating like a pig by the time I settled in.  They are comfortable if you don't mind facing the tree all sit.  In the end, I realized that I am not hunting large chunks of public land where I need to be light and mobile.  It is just as easy to quietly set up a ladder stand for a sit in a new spot if I wanted.  Sold it. 

I just keep setting new stands if I want to set up on a new spot.  I can see the benefit if you are hiking in to a large public chunk blind and plan to set up on whatever fresh sign you find.  But for 30-40acre private parcels, more of a pain than its worth.  Maybe I am just lazy.

• Like 3

Public or private land, I feel it would be quieter and less noise, and work, to just set up downwind, in a natural ground hide, close to where deer travel.

The tree saddle may be comfortable?? I've never tried one. But it wouldn't be for me, with the line in the way, not to mention the tree. And also, it seems more movement is required to move into position for a shot? If I were on the move, and found some smoking hot deer sign, I'd just plop down next to the closest available cover, with the wind in my face. Wouldn't make a hint of noise to alert the deer that are likely bedded within hearing distance.

Over 90% of my deer hunting is done from the ground. So much easier. And when I do get above ground, the easiest and most comfortable way to go is the ladder stand. 

JMO

• Like 1

i've hiked miles in with my lighter weight smaller climber and it works well. gives you a nice seat at ground level if no tree is in a spot with good back cover. saddles can be noisy with tree bark and getting into position. don't like having the tether right there where it is either.

I can see a huge advantage to a mobile set up ,especially on public land when an area is new and you need to move quickly on the fly . Most areas you can find a tree that a climber will suffice ,my climber is only 14 pounds ,I don't think many set ups are gonna come in any lighter then that. I'd be so nervous about how it effect a shot with the bow .

12 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I can see a huge advantage to a mobile set up ,especially on public land when an area is new and you need to move quickly on the fly . Most areas you can find a tree that a climber will suffice ,my climber is only 14 pounds ,I don't think many set ups are gonna come in any lighter then that. I'd be so nervous about how it effect a shot with the bow .

Climber is definitely easier for me than sticks but you do need a straight tree with no branches. 

9 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Climber is definitely easier for me than sticks but you do need a straight tree with no branches. 

Exactly , the area I hunt only has straight trees , I would kill for a tree with some branches for cover . 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, bruno1 said:

As much as I try I can see no advantage to one of these. While they are a lot lighter than any stand I just cannot visualize sitting in a tree with one for any length of time and expect to be comfortable. Once I am in the swing of things I can be in my climber and comfortable in just about the amount of time it would take to climb with one of these.

I would be interested in reading reviews from actual users but  am pretty sure it is something I would not be interested in. I will stick with the extra weight of the climber which really isn't that much.

Good luck to those that give it a shot. I would be willing to bet not to may fat guys will use it.:wink:

Public land is good if you just want to hunt with nothing  but maybe a blind but as soon as you start dealing with climbers and steps and this and that unless you are successful fast ,all that crap carrying in and out and   the set up is more trouble then it worth it spoils the fun of even going  out there at least personally that is how I feel about .

Edited by Hawk914