Any m-1 Carbine lovers here ?

Hunter007

I do yes, do you prefer Springfield WRA or it doesn’t matter? Do you want a shooter or a collectors piece

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is there such a thing as both? One day I'd love an all matching Springfield m1. The one everyone thinks of when they think of a garand. Hopefully they get those ones left in Korea soon if it's ever proven to be more than a rumor

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Is there such a thing as both? One day I'd love an all matching Springfield m1. The one everyone thinks of when they think of a garand. Hopefully they get those ones left in Korea soon if it's ever proven to be more than a rumor

No I just forgot the comma. The thing with garands is there really is no such thing as all matching. Unlike the gearmans we only out a serial number on the receiver. You can tell the dates on some of the other parts but you will never know if they are original to the gun. Also chances are nothing is original to the gun. They were often stripped down by the hundreds, parts separated into buckets and then cleaned and re assembled.

• Like 1

In spite of how great a rifle the Garand is, it does have one big disadvantage.  The 8rd enbloc clip it uses limits it's firepower.  Besides only holding 8 rounds, you can not add rounds to the clip if it is half empty in the gun.  You have to empty all the rounds first.  The other disadvantage is the "ping" an empty enbloc clip makes when it ejects from the rifle.  In WWII combat, if the enemy heard that "ping" they would know you were empty.  Not a good thing to advertise.

The M1 Carbine used 15 round detachable magazines and didn't have those disadvantages.  The M14 is basically a Garand modified to take detachable magazines to fix the issues inherent in using the enbloc clip.  It was also made to use the .308 NATO round which came out after the Garand was issued.

It’s funny so I took
My garand our to pop off a few rounds because this thread got me going. I load the clip let the bold close and look up to see a deer staring at me about 60 yards away in the middle of my creek.

Now I really want to use the garand during season

• Like 1

I inherited an M1 Carbine from a very close relative and he has a .50 cal Military ammo box filled with .30 cal ammo . I have yet to fire it and would like to take it into the woods during deer season just to take at least one deer with it in honor of my relative . I should probably spend some time on the range first .

• Like 2

The only disadvantage I remember with the M1 was during inspection and getting your thumb out of the way .

As for holding it sideways during an attack , Yaberra said the recoil would would move the aiming point and they just kept firing without actually aiming . Since he survived , I won't doubt him .

• Like 1

This thread is gunna get me in trouble I have a Springfield garand and just told my wife I wanna buy a Winchester. You guys should have seen the look I got, you have one already why do you need another.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Thejerkman said:

This thread is gunna get me in trouble I have a Springfield garand and just told my wife I wanna buy a Winchester. You guys should have seen the look I got, you have one already why do you need another.

Tell her that you are getting ready for the Apocolypse ..............

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thejerkman said:

Another gun is a whole lot cheaper than another wife and appreciates with age !

Tell her that you are getting ready for the Apocolypse ..............

She thinks i am lol. Maybe it’s because I keep buying spam cans of m2 Ap and having them shipped to the house lol

9 hours ago, Thejerkman said:

My buddy in Canada has a  SWEET Winchester, probably the nicest I have ever seen....But you probably would not want to pay what he would want for it...Then there is the expense and red tape required to get it back across the border..

A few years back he had an unissued  SMLE # 4 still in the mummy wrap, plus a very nice 1915 # 1 SMLE, and he offered me the pair for  $300.. Once I found what I would have to go through to import them, I declined...

My buddy in Canada has a  SWEET Winchester, probably the nicest I have ever seen....But you probably would not want to pay what he would want for it...Then there is the expense and red tape required to get it back across the border..
A few years back he had an unissued  SMLE # 4 still in the mummy wrap, plus a very nice 1915 # 1 SMLE, and he offered me the pair for  $300.. Once I found what I would have to go through to import them, I declined...
I'll pay the import and we can split em

1 hour ago, Bill Schmidt said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Yeah, It's a shame....The #4  was unissued, and the #1  was probably the nicest WWI  vintage  I have ever seen

On 7/6/2019 at 3:19 PM, Thejerkman said:

This is what I would love to have Garand  that takes magazines 

31 minutes ago, Hawk914 said:

This is what I would love to have Garand  that takes magazines 

It looks ugly and unwieldy as hell....Be tough to defend yourself in a prone position with that monstrosity...I'm guessing the advantage of the xtra mag capacity would be far outweighed by the disadvantages....

4 minutes ago, Thejerkman said:

They have one it’s called a m-14

Yes, but it it is chambered for the  7.62 x 51, which is  substantially shorter than the 7.62 x 63,   and dimensions are appropriately smaller, while performance is similar...

Yes, but it it is chambered for the  7.62 x 51, which is  substantially shorter than the 7.62 x 63,   and dimensions are appropriately smaller, while performance is similar...

Yea but it’s still the same gun just modified

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thejerkman said:

They have one it’s called a m-14

There not in 30-06 

Better bullet selection then the 308  and a little more power 

Which makes it More useful if you wanted to hunt with it .

For just military use doesn't really matter . 

Beside I like it better  because I have tons of 30-06 ammo already some from my grandfather  . lol 

How good were the new military cartridge and rifle? Well, both helped win WWI and WWII. But hunters didn’t wait for wars to test the set up. Teddy Roosevelt, fresh out of the White House in 1909, took a sporterized Springfield .30/06 on his African safari. Despite his poor shooting, it proved so effective that his friend and author Stewart Edward White followed suit in 1911. Earnest Hemingway shot a .30/06 on his 1933 safari, stopping a big lion and making a one-shot kill on a running rhino at some 300 yards.

By the mid-20th century the .30/06 was well established as the ideal, middle-of-the-road, do-it-all “light” cartridge against which others were judged. It fired everything from 100-grain plinkers to 220-grain solids and dispatched everything from carrot-raiding rodents to hut-stomping pachyderms. From equatorial jungles to the Arctic, the .30/06 was king despite competition from its own offspring, the .270 Winchester, plus the magnum-length .300 H&H and .300 Weatherby Magnum

Edited by Hawk914

18 minutes ago, Hawk914 said:

There not in 30-06 

Better bullet selection then the 308  

Which makes it More useful if you wanted to hunt with it .

For just military use doesn't really matter .

Better "BULLET" selection than the .308  ???   They use the same bullets....The only advantage the 30-06 has over the .308 is with bullets of 180 grains and heavier due to a larger case capacity...

And the gas system of the M-1 is designed  for medium rate burning powders and bullets in the 150 to 168 grain weight..Decent ballistics with bullets heavier than that require slower burning powders, which can  bend op rods...

So how much do you really know about the M1  ???

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Better "BULLET" selection than the .308  ???   They use the same bullets....The only advantage the 30-06 has over the .308 is with bullets of 180 grains and heavier due to a larger case capacity...

And the gas system of the M-1 is designed  for medium rate burning powders and bullets in the 150 to 168 grain weight..Decent ballistics with bullets heavier than that require slower burning powders, which can  bend op rods...

So how much do you really know about the M!  ???

Like I said  I'm biased lol  because I have more the one rifle in 30-06 already  and shit load of ammo already  and the stuff can be found every place and  in a lot more weights . Then 308 in the stores. 

Unless you hand load you are not going to find the selection in 308 at your local gun store like with  30-06 .

Here is  a article that does a far  better job  at talking about it then I can.  

https://www.outdoorlife.com/30-06-springfield-best-cartridge-big-game-hunting/

Edited by Hawk914