Bulk lime spreading service in Sullivan/Ulster?

Hi As the title suggests, I’m trying to find an economical way to get a few tons of ag lime spreader over some food plots in the southwest region of Ulster county.    Can anyone suggest a a source of either ag or bulk pellet lime in that area?   

It a new property for me and I don’t have a lot of acreage in food plots yet- I’m right at the point where it’s a little too much for me to pick up and spread but not enough to warrant any interest from a supplier like Tilcon.    I need to apply about 3 tons of lime this year (I need closer to  5 tons per acre to get  the ph over 7 but I’ve been advised to spread it over a few applications so I’m not applying too much at once)  Don’t have a dedicated dry spot where I could store several tons of lime for any length of time, but could prolly put something together if there’s a larger minimum purchase of 10 tons but don’t think I could spread it all at once. 

Alternatively, I would also be interested in trying to pick up and deliver the lime myself and hiring someone with a tractor and spreader- I’ve got a couple other small habitat projects as well that i would gladly pay to have done if spreading the lime alone wasn’t enough work to make it worthwhile.   

Any suggestions/ideas would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks all 

Since it doesn’t look like there are any leads on bulk lime spreading, it would be great if people could share how they got lime out on to their plots! 

Ive got a 700cc quad and my partner on the lease has a fairly large skid steer- I’m open to renting equipment if there are any suggestions for efficiently spreading lime with either the skid steer or quad.    Any suggestions at this point would be welcome.    I’ve got about 2 acres planted in beans and other summer crops and hope to add another 1-2 acres in time for late summer planting- so not huge, but a little too much to spread the quantity of lime needed by hand or even with the 140lb atv spreader (could work but would take forever and destroy my beans with so many passes) 

I spread 3000 pounds by hand. Only tools I had was an atv and cart to drop off the bags of lime in the plot. Lowes sells 50 pound bags for 3.29 i believe. After cost of delivery if I would have had it delivered and spread I spent almost the same amount. Check the local Co-Op they would be the best source of information. I don't believe there are any great local choices for you except for Orange County. Tilcon in Goshen is all I can think of.

I had the same issue with figuring out the best way to spread lime and decided unless I needed more then 6/7000 pounds i would just do it by hand. Sounds like you have a couple guys to help you out at least. All I had was my wife laughing at me when I looked like a ghost at the end. Either way good luck!

Cochecton mills delivers truck loads, last year we did 1 truck, 23 tons, and a spreader for about $1000. I dont think it would be cost effective for less lime delivered. I do agree that the 50 lbs bag would be the best bet.

Did you have your soil tested, we found out that we were needing almost 2 tons per acre to start with last year.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I did a basic npk and ph soil test and have been monitoring the ph myself with a lab grade Hanna ph meter.   5.0-5.4 across the various sample sites.   I spread about 500lbs/acre of fast acting pellet like (calcium carbonate based- supposed to equal 3-4x ph boost as Dolomite based lime but shorter lived effect).   

Ph jumped up to 6.2 in some spots and has since leveled off between 5.6-6.0 across the plots.   Def works but not a long term solution unless it’s applied annually or twice a year. 

Haha I had a feeling it would come down to doing it by hand- unfortunately I don’t have as much help as one might expect (partner isn’t as obsessed with putting in  plots as I am) but I’ll get it done.    

I could do anything close to 23 tons, but could prolly take 10 and would maybe have to store some of it.    If I could get another 2 acres cleared I might be able to take closer to 20 tons.  Could be worth giving cocheton mills a Call.  

Other option would be to get a few pallets of pellet lime delivered- local agway sells it a decent price break per pallet and will deliver, just won’t spread it.   I’ve heard you can get bulk deliveries of loose pellet lime with like a 5 or 10 ton minimum, would still have to spread it but the cost of lime is only like $60/ton delivered.  

Thanks again!  Please keep suggestions/ how you spread lime coming! 

Was able to get out to the lease on Friday.  Spread about 10 bags of fast acting pellet lim.  it’s a calcium carbonate base that has a greater impact on ph than dolomitic lime, about 5x more active than reg lime.   

Few downsides to it though- it’s a little pricy vs reg pellet lime, it doesn’t contain any magnesium (which is a major benefit of dolomitic lime), and it’s short lived vs reg ag lime.     A 50lb bag of epsom salt is added with each application to boost magnesium levels and will just keep applying until I find a longer term solution.  

Plots looked good though- late spring planted blend of Laredo soybeans, lablab, ic cowpeas, ag beans, oats, spring triticale, crimson clover, chicory, and a small amount of turnips and radish.   Plots are no-till (trying for regenerative/buffalo method) with minimal synthetic inputs-  in about two weeks, strips will be crimped or mowed down and fall blend will go in- to be top-seeded with winter rye and wheat in 2 week intervals through mid September.  

Considering this was rocky virgin soil that’s pretty much a mix of clay and sand and the difficulty getting it limed and fertilized, I’m pretty happy with the results so far.   I added milorganite twice to keep the deer off it for a while and it seemed to give the beans the head start they needed.   Just starting to see evidence of browsing.   Lots of deer/bear/turkeys on the property and the plots are also home to about 100 pheasants the landowner’s son raised from chicks he got from the DEC.     

7C394D1A-F284-40F9-8C15-2F2D53A14520.jpeg

319AAF45-B96B-47FE-BB94-C138B8003599.jpeg

0F44B97E-DF59-4FA0-8AA7-CC11B63888D8.jpeg

49CF66EF-5344-4CCC-8F35-90594F3F2A20.jpeg

B8B45A8E-414A-499F-BEA1-B5B81B85FD93.jpeg