New toy!

Just bought this beast! Taking my muzzleloader on a Bison hunt this fall, and the guide says I need a back up rifle. So I had a perfect excuse to buy it. 

I'll put it to use after the hunt, too. Might make a nasty deer rifle. 

Pretty excited.

Capture+_2019-07-06-19-47-52.png

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Skillet said:

Just bought this beast! Taking my muzzleloader on a Bison hunt this fall, and the guide says I need a back up rifle. So I had a perfect excuse to buy it. 

I'll put it to use after the hunt, too. Might make a nasty deer rifle. 

Pretty excited.

Capture+_2019-07-06-19-47-52.png

Go watch the movie Quigley down under now

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Curious why single shot? Henry 45 70 is next on my list.

I like the simplicity of single shot guns. Not sure why, I just always have. 

I wanted a rolling block, but they are stupid money.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Skillet said:

How do you like it? Shoot well?

It's a very nice gun, if your going to add a scope go direct from.henry for.scope.base and hammer extension, quick delivery , and unless someone started.making bases they are only.one to fit properly ( picany rail style) the gun is unique and hammer extension is ambidextrous and is fitted to that specific hammer.. in time in sure other manufacturers will make proper accessories for.it but for now its really.only Henry 

• Like 2

Single shots, especially with tradition lever rounds allow you to reload max pressure loads vs lever guns or bolts. You can increase a 45-70 effective range by 75 yards by hand loading compressed loads using a flex tip bullet.  As manufactures only load minimum pressures as older guns are still in use.

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 2

Congratulations, I was looking to purchase one of those Henry single shots in 45-70 for a couple of years but could never find one anywhere and ended up buying a 45-70 barrel for my Thompson Center Encore. I like the top lever design of the Henry single shot a lot and from what I have read they are nice shooters. I have looked them over in other calibers at gun shows and can see these are very well made rifles of very good quality. The 45-70 has been  surely proven on Buffalo!

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, bugsNbows said:

Great choice. I'll bet it's a bit of a thumper on ones shoulder!

Why would.you think that ,its far.less than what most.people shoot in a muzzleloader which is what this basically us a 45 cal bullet propelled by 70 grains of.black powder..  most I know shoot 90 to 120 grains and think nothing of it..yet this brass case seems scary to most...lol

On 7/7/2019 at 8:01 AM, airedale said:

Congratulations, I was looking to purchase one of those Henry single shots in 45-70 for a couple of years but could never find one anywhere and ended up buying a 45-70 barrel for my Thompson Center Encore. I like the top lever design of the Henry single shot a lot and from what I have read they are nice shooters. I have looked them over in other calibers at gun shows and can see these are very well made rifles of very good quality. The 45-70 has been  surely proven on Buffalo!

Al

When you buy one and want to dump the 45-70 for your Encore, let me know...lol

15 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

When you buy one and want to dump the 45-70 for your Encore, let me know...lol

If I buy one now it is going to be in another caliber,:yes: Henry sent me a questionnaire a little while back and I suggested to them to chamber that single shot in Rimfires, I will buy one in a second if they chamber in the 17 Winchester Super Mag.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1