Wyoming Preference Points

BizCT

• 6 months later...
Do you get a preference point for applying for a hunt or only by buying the point? Also do they make you front the license cost when you apply? Thanks 
You get one if you don't get called for tag and you can also just buy single points as well

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Do you get a preference point for applying for a hunt or only by buying the point? Also do they make you front the license cost when you apply? Thanks 

Jerkman is right. And the nice thing about Wyoming is that you don’t have to buy a license. So points are much more affordable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, LICOASTIE said:

As of last year, u don't get a point for applying for elk, deer and antelope. Moose and sheep you get a point for applying for the hunt. You have to front the tag fees and they charge a convenience fee on the total amount{IIRC 2.5%}.   Its costly!  

Kidding.  Those ain’t cheap points. 

I do elk, deer and lope each year. It was like $100 total per year. Now it’s around $120 I think. Someday when I decide to hunt again, they will come In handy in drawing a good unit. The licenses are much pricier. If I remember right, the last time I went deer license was close $600 and antelope around $300. Some states make you buy genera hunting license to buy a PP, but Wyoming doesn’t

8 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I do elk, deer and lope each year. It was like $100 total per year. Now it’s around $120 I think. Someday when I decide to hunt again, they will come In handy in drawing a good unit. The licenses are much pricier. If I remember right, the last time I went deer license was close $600 and antelope around $300. Some states make you buy genera hunting license to buy a PP, but Wyoming doesn’t

I have 3pts in IA that I will likely never use.   But Wyoming has animals you can’t hunt in NY which is what I want when traveling to hunt. 

• Like 2

I have 3pts in IA that I will likely never use.   But Wyoming has animals you can’t hunt in NY which is what I want when traveling to hunt. 

Same. Although my mule deer tag was good for mule deer or whitetail. If I saw a giant whitetail I would Have shot one for sure

5 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Same. Although my mule deer tag was good for mule deer or whitetail. If I saw a giant whitetail I would Have shot one for sure

have a friend that went out to Idaho (i think) and in first ten minutes walking out saw a 10 point whitetail.  If he shot it his tag was done, he didnt but sure wanted to. Guide told him go ahead but he suggest he wait as he would see some nice mulies and could get a whitetail later if not.   

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
9 minutes ago, Dr. Jerkman said:

You can put in with other people?

I'm Surgical

Yup. I believe they take an average and then all or none of your "party" gets tags. On July 1 i'll be buying my 7th for elk, 6th for deer, and 6th for lope.

separately, there is the super tag raffles where if you win you get to hunt that particularly species in any unit and at any time. Monsters are killed.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Single_shot said:

Wow. When I hunted there for deer and speed goats, we applied by mail and it included white tail..either or. Elk tags were OTC for cow. No points needed that I remember. 

you don't need points for many units. But since I'm not sure when i will return i just buy points each since you don't need to buy a license to do so. this way someday when i want to go back, i'll go for a trophy unit.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BKhunter said:

I have a bunch of points in WY also. Waiting for the day when I decide to cash them in. Any folks here interested in planning a future hunt?

What r u thinking?  How many points do u have? With point creep, I would be using them as fast as I could.

5 hours ago, Single_shot said:

Wow. When I hunted there for deer and speed goats, we applied by mail and it included white tail..either or. Elk tags were OTC for cow. No points needed that I remember. 

Its getting so u need points or u will be sitting on the couch. When was the last time u went?