9mm carbine for deer ?

Hunter007

So I walked in my local gun store the other day and they  had one of those ruger 9mm carbines in the store kind of cool, I told the guy wish they had that in a more powerful caliber because I would love to hunt with something like that  but not in a under powered  caliber like 9 mm  . Thinking  44 mag at least .

So he goes on to tell me he knows  this guy that uses it says he only takes neck shots with it  said he has dropped deer out to about 70  80 yards with his  more then once  with no problem. 

Ok was this guy bullshitting me  just to try and sell me  that thing ? or do you think that story was true ? What do you think .

Edited by Hawk914

6 minutes ago, HuntOrBeHunted said:

Shot placement. You can drop a deer in its tracks with a 22 if your shot is perfect. Would I personally recommend it, no lol.

Yea well the thing   is, is  that gun and caliber accurate enough and powerful enough to get a clean kill on a deer at that range consistently with a neck shot . I don't know . Anyone  here have any experience doing shots like that with pistol calibers at that range .

1 minute ago, Pygmy said:

Go for it, Stormy...I'm sure it will work  at least as well for you as any other deer rifle you've ever owned....

Na on public land  that I like to hunt not enough deer around to take chances with something like that to small of caliber .  Besides I don't think there even that accurate . 

Anyway since you no more then me and love to remind me of this fact often  :)what bullet would you recommend for trying  that kind of shot ? 

5 minutes ago, Hawk914 said:

Na on public land  that I like to hunt not enough deer around to take chances with something like that to small of caliber .  Besides I don't think there even that accurate . 

Anyway since you no more then me and love to remind me of this fact often  :)what bullet would you recommend for trying  that kind of shot ? 

<< YAWN>>….

• Haha 1

I killed a couple of Deer with a 357 mag firing 146 gr Speer HPs handloaded to around 1250 fps, a friend of mine used the same loads on a Boar hunt and killed a smallish 150 pounder. The 9mm can be loaded with 147 gr bullets of various makes close to 1100 fps out of a pistol so out of the longer carbine barrel the ballistics should be similar for all practical purpose to my 357 handloads so they will kill a Deer with good shot placement.

I have seen you tube videos on that 9 mm Ruger and it is reliable and fairly accurate, in the hands of a good hunter I believe it can take a Deer at shorter ranges so the store clerks tale could very well be true. That being said if using a rifle, I personally would prefer a cartridge with more power to hunt Deer.

Al

• Like 1

Ruger is now chambering this rifle in the 40 S&W, fired out of this carbine the 40 adds substantial power and bullet weight over 9MM making it a better choice for someone wanting to hunt Deer, still a little light but quite a bit better than the 9MM.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

I've done alot of testing with my ruger cabine everything from 115gr to 147gr  i tested on stacked wood and thick books even a laundry tote filled with water lol wife was mad I wouldnt hesitate shooting a deer out to 45 yards after that it loses the kinetic energy to make a ethical kill but it is accurate out to 100yards ...its a fun plinker and it takes glock mags to boot

20190711_192749.jpg

• Like 2

Mine is way more accurate than you’ll ever be. Accuracy isn’t an issue. Would I carry it in the deer woods? No. Will it work for a deer gun? If you’re willing to hold off and pass on all but the best shot opportunity’s then absolutely!

If it was the only gun I owned and wanted to deer hunt with it I would load my own hard cast lead bullets around the 115gn range loaded as hot as possible using a mold with as large of a meplate that will feed reliably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Mine is way more accurate than you’ll ever be. Accuracy isn’t an issue. Would I carry it in the deer woods? No. Will it work for a deer gun? If you’re willing to hold off and pass on all but the best shot opportunity’s then absolutely!

If it was the only gun I owned and wanted to deer hunt with it I would load my own hard cast lead bullets around the 115gn range loaded as hot as possible using a mold with as large of a meplate that will feed reliably.

Can yours hold 1 inch group  at 70 80 yards? If not Personally  I wouldn't even attempt to take a shot at a deer with something that weak at that distance. 

It's a cool gun for sure just a little to underpowered for me to take a chance hunting with  I think .  I just don't hunt in a good enough  place with crazy amounts of deer around  to risk it .  I definitely go with 40 s&w  if I got one not sure even with that I would try hunting past 50 yard with the thing  .  Maybe they will come out with even bigger calibers if they sell well . 44 mag would be  awesome in something like that .  I know they use to make carbines in 44 mag they should  bring it back . 

Edited by Hawk914

Can yours hold 1 inch group  at 70 80 yards? If not Personally  I wouldn't even attempt to take a shot at a deer with something that weak at that distance. 
It's a cool gun for sure just a little to underpowered for me to take a chance hunting with  I think .  I just don't hunt in a good enough  place with crazy amounts of deer around  to risk it .  I definitely go with 40 s&w  if I got one not sure even with that I would try hunting past 50 yard with the thing  .  Maybe they will come out with even bigger calibers if they sell well . 44 mag would be  awesome in something like that .  I know they use to make carbines in 44 mag they should  bring it back . 

Yea, it will shoot 1 1/2” at 100yds. A 9mm from a carbine or a pistol will kill deer but it would be very low on my list.

An ex coworker s husband of my wife told me he shot a deer at 100 yards with one shot with Glock .40 cal. and it dropped. He was a Buffalo cop and I’m like ya ok buddy. Oddly enough he lost his job for lying under oath on a case and lost his wife and job. I saw that coming years back     

Like many stated a better caliber to make a clean humane kill much better option  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, turkeyfeathers said:

An ex coworker s husband of my wife told me he shot a deer at 100 yards with one shot with Glock .40 cal. and it dropped. He was a Buffalo cop and I’m like ya ok buddy. Oddly enough he lost his job for lying under oath on a case and lost his wife and job. I saw that coming years back     

Like many stated a better caliber to make a clean humane kill much better option  

I think  I know that guy he is  a gun salesman now lol 

Edited by Hawk914
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

So this morning I am going through the pages of the current "Predator" hunting magazine, there is an Air Gun column written in each issue and this month's article was one about caliber-weapon recommendations for hunting big game with an Air Rifle. The author's choice is a 35 cal PCP rifle firing a 140 something grain pellet at 900 fps, he gave many examples of it's lethality  showing a wide variety of game he has taken from Deer to Javelina and other assorted smaller game animals. Of course he pointed out that the ranges were relatively short and shot placement was critical.

There is no argument from me on what he had to say because it is all true. The rub is had someone put out an article promoting hunting with a 9mm Rifle or Handgun firing ammo that is ballistically superior performance wise to the above fellow's Air Rifle it is guaranteed he would receive a pummeling of criticism.

Al

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/21/2019 at 8:04 AM, airedale said:

So this morning I am going through the pages of the current "Predator" hunting magazine, there is an Air Gun column written in each issue and this month's article was one about caliber-weapon recommendations for hunting big game with an Air Rifle. The author's choice is a 35 cal PCP rifle firing a 140 something grain pellet at 900 fps, he gave many examples of it's lethality  showing a wide variety of game he has taken from Deer to Javelina and other assorted smaller game animals. Of course he pointed out that the ranges were relatively short and shot placement was critical.

There is no argument from me on what he had to say because it is all true. The rub is had someone put out an article promoting hunting with a 9mm Rifle or Handgun firing ammo that is ballistically superior performance wise to the above fellow's Air Rifle it is guaranteed he would receive a pummeling of criticism.

Al

Good point yea I saw a guy take some type of African antelope that was much bigger than a deer  on YouTube  . he used  140 grain bullet shooting at 850 fps  out of the Benjamin bulldog . bullet direct hit to the heart from 70 yards . Animal dropped with in yards of shot anyway .

Using guns like that is kinda of like bow hunting you are looking for the almost perfect shot .  Not sure it is my cup of tea tho  not enough game to mess around like that where I hunt anyway.  

I think this is the video don't remember exactly now .

Edited by Hunter007

Killing big game with a air rifle or small caliber is all about the right bullet . Before I moved to my 44 mag SRH,  I killed quite a few deer with my 357 Blackhawk. I used a180 grain hard cast  bullet over 13 grains of 2400 moving at 1390 FPS . If you could find a good solid 150 - 160 grain bullet for the 9 then a good powder to get some good velocity one could do well I would suspect . But with the 9 being the go to self defense caliber it may be hard to get a good bullet /powder combo. 

Hi everyone, i haven't been on since last deer season. started looking today and figured i'd jump in on this. I would personally never use one of the smaller caliber guns on deer but i was looking for some woods ammo for my Glock 19 and happened along this from Buffalo Bore. Might be worth a look.

75701305_ScreenShot2019-08-09at6_32_55AM.thumb.png.34d2118951e765f0074bb7bda7b8d2fc.png

• 4 weeks later...
So I walked in my local gun store the other day and they  had one of those ruger 9mm carbines in the store kind of cool, I told the guy wish they had that in a more powerful caliber because I would love to hunt with something like that  but not in a under powered  caliber like 9 mm  . Thinking  44 mag at least .
So he goes on to tell me he knows  this guy that uses it says he only takes neck shots with it  said he has dropped deer out to about 70  80 yards with his  more then once  with no problem. 
Ok was this guy bullshitting me  just to try and sell me  that thing ? or do you think that story was true ? What do you think .

Get a .30 carbine

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 9/1/2019 at 8:59 PM, Daveboone said:

Why do some folks try to see how small a round they can use, seemingly and especially rounds that were never designed for hunting, instead of simply getting the right tool for the right job?

Why do you clowns think you need a 50cal to hunt field mice?

a 9mm with Buffalo bore will be more than enough to down a deer within around 80 yards so don’t listen to all these armchair hunters that think you need a cannon for everything it’s ridiculous

if you practice with that 9mm and are comfortable with your accuracy then absolutely I say go for it and stop trusting the words of all these “experts”, as they’d like you to believe, and go play around with it for yourself and I’m sure you’ll find it more than suffice for the job

For what it is worth, here is my experience with a 9mm for deer. I had the unfortunate experience of hitting a medium sized doe with my pickup truck some years ago. I hit the doe broadside and  caused $4,300 worth of damage to the truck. The accident did not  kill the doe, but her pelvis was broken and she could not stand. She was laying in a ditch with her head up when the Sheriff's Deputy took dead aim on the top of her skull from about 10 inches away and fired his 9mm. He did not miss. Doe dropped it's head for a moment and then it popped right back up. Deputy shot a second time and that one killed the doe instantly. Don't know what he was using for loads, but I was not impressed.

Edited by Bigfoot 327