Biz Truck

BizCT

1 hour ago, doebuck1234 said:

Im guilty too.the radio is on but usually everything else off.my grandfather drilled it into my head to shut everything off before shutting vehicle off.its now a habit..:drinks:

That was back in 1905! Technology has improved a tad.....

• Like 2

17 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

My truck blasts the heat when I remote start it. I’ve never started it in Summer or looked into if there’s a setting for starting it on cool but now I shall

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

they blast and recirc the air in the summer if you have an auto thermostat. Quick psa that is a weird pet peeve of mine. Most modern cars have climate control. It always confuses me when i see people hop in and crank them to hot or cold. It's a thermostat. Set it at 72 and leave it alone all year. The car will automatically work as hard as it can to get to that temp as quick as it can, and then it'll back off and keep it there. This still confuses people so I'll use the analogy like this. When you get home and the house is a little chilly do you turn the thermostat to 90 or do you just bump it up a couple degrees? Exactly.

ps. some cars, GM specifically have a cool feature where if you hold unlock on your keyfob all 4 windows will roll down. This is huge in the summer to let some of the hot air out quick. some cars need the setting turned on.

16 hours ago, steve863 said:

OK, so now I know why I've been hearing a lot of new vehicles starting up when the light turns green.  I was thinking their engines had stalled and they had to restart them.  This stuff is getting crazy.  Don't quite understand what sense a feature like that makes, but whatever.   We already have some vehicles driving themselves.  I think I'll get a truck when that becomes a standard feature.  I'll just install a shaggy carpet like Moog has in the bed and go sleep on it and wake up when the truck reaches my destination.  Hopefully it can have some coffee and donuts waiting for me, too.  LOL

it probably doesn't do a whole lot for us upstaters, but anyone who drives in stop and go city traffic will see a good benefit, and so will the earth. it all adds up, no matter how little.

14 hours ago, rob-c said:

All the manufacturers are going to the auto start stop, it’s for emissions and a way for them to get the milage up. We received 2 - 2019 Malibu’s at work and they have it. The auto start stop is a huge reason I bought my 2014  f150, no auto start stop. 

first thing I did was google how to disable it. by day 3 i was used to it and have only turned it off when i'm in that weird stop and kinda go traffic during rush hour. the cabins are so insulated and the engines so smooth that you really do hardly notice, especially if jamming. 

10 minutes ago, Belo said:

it probably doesn't do a whole lot for us upstaters, but anyone who drives in stop and go city traffic will see a good benefit, and so will the earth. it all adds up, no matter how little.

first thing I did was google how to disable it. by day 3 i was used to it and have only turned it off when i'm in that weird stop and kinda go traffic during rush hour. the cabins are so insulated and the engines so smooth that you really do hardly notice, especially if jamming. 

So, if I drive without it I start the car only once to get to a destination.  If I drive with this feature on the car may stop and start 10 times if there are 10 lights I have to stop at.  What does this do to batteries, alternators, starters and such?  I can't imagine all this stopping and starting will be good for these parts?   I am no car expert, but maybe someone who is can tell us?  This may just be another way to give car mechanics some more business.  Plus, most people discover that they have a dead battery when they attempt to start the car and with the car sitting in a parking spot.  What happens when the engine gets turned off at a red light and then can't start back up due to a dead battery??  You'll just have a big traffic jam on your hands with the stalled car that you probably wouldn't have had with a normal operating car.

6 minutes ago, steve863 said:

So, if I drive without it I start the car only once to get to a destination.  If I drive with this feature on the car may stop and start 10 times if there are 10 lights I have to stop at.  What does this do to batteries, alternators, starters and such?  I can't imagine all this stopping and starting will be good for these parts?   I am no car expert, but maybe someone who is can tell us?  This may just be another way to give car mechanics some more business.  Plus, most people discover that they have a dead battery when they attempt to start the car and with the car sitting in a parking spot.  What happens when the engine gets turned off at a red light and then can't start back up due to a dead battery??  You'll just have a big traffic jam on your hands with the stalled car that you probably wouldn't have had with a normal operating car.

starters and batteries have come a long way, but the jury on the long term effects and how it will effect a 15 year old truck with 100k miles is still out. The basic math says that it does take some more juice/gas to start the car, but if you're stopped for anytime longer than 15 seconds you're saving fuel and its beneficial. Note that it wont stop if you're blasting heat or air either.

You are sort of correct with your conspiracy theory, but it has nothing to do with mechanics, and it's more about the cafe restrictions and manufacturers being required to get more mpg out of their fleet. We could debate this topic too of course, but most outdoorsman should agree that less pollution is a good thing.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Belo said:

starters and batteries have come a long way, but the jury on the long term effects and how it will effect a 15 year old truck with 100k miles is still out. The basic math says that it does take some more juice/gas to start the car, but if you're stopped for anytime longer than 15 seconds you're saving fuel and its beneficial. Note that it wont stop if you're blasting heat or air either.

You are sort of correct with your conspiracy theory, but it has nothing to do with mechanics, and it's more about the cafe restrictions and manufacturers being required to get more mpg out of their fleet. We could debate this topic too of course, but most outdoorsman should agree that less pollution is a good thing.

Its all about the CAFE restrictions

33 minutes ago, steve863 said:

What happens when the engine gets turned off at a red light and then can't start back up due to a dead battery??

Neither of our vehicles have the stop/start technology, but I had a Malibu rental two years ago that had it, and there was a second battery mounted in the trunk. 

40 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Many cars are using direct injection now ,I have a feeling but not positive the computer introduces fuel to correct cylinder and ignites at the same time the car is starting ,it reduces the load on a starter motor significantly.

Yep, most are going to this. Problem they are finding with out the fuel hitting the top side of the valves they are getting carbon build up on the valves  So now some have gone to direct and port  injectors.

• Like 1

Yep, most are going to this. Problem they are finding with out the fuel hitting the top side of the valves they are getting carbon build up on the valves  So now some have gone to direct and port  injectors.

New generation ecoboost engines have gone to a hybrid injection system using both direct and port to avoid the carbon build up.

174k on my early build 2011 ecoboost and still running strong with no valve cleaning
  • Like 4

752c7b00055468431fe1c90b17b9a7b4.jpg

Alright here’s an update. I’ve personally drove it 86 miles. All local side roads, lights, traffic, etc. 19.9MPG. So I’m thinking ill get closer to 25 when I do extended highway.

That’s the good news. Here’s the bad/annoying news, the antenna on roof is an even 8”! Which means it will hit metal bar on garage door. When I take it off, the truck fits easily in garage as expected. I know “stubby” makes shorter antennas, so maybe I buy one of those for $25??

ceb8fdc690603e687b6f598403d37cbf.jpg

1a80ba8b2d6d897626f2ee40b4ad4221.jpg

1f3823a44ed4bb96f2f67ec8c1387985.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

752c7b00055468431fe1c90b17b9a7b4.jpg

Alright here’s an update. I’ve personally drove it 86 miles. All local side roads, lights, traffic, etc. 19.9MPG. So I’m thinking ill get closer to 25 when I do extended highway.

That’s the good news. Here’s the bad/annoying news, the antenna on roof is an even 8”! Which means it will hit metal bar on garage door. When I take it off, the truck fits easily in garage as expected. I know “stubby” makes shorter antennas, so maybe I buy one of those for $25??

ceb8fdc690603e687b6f598403d37cbf.jpg

1a80ba8b2d6d897626f2ee40b4ad4221.jpg

1f3823a44ed4bb96f2f67ec8c1387985.jpg

Is that a boat fender protecting your door from bumping that post? I like that idea.

35 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Here’s the bad/annoying news, the antenna on roof is an even 8”! Which means it will hit metal bar on garage door

I would be willing to bet a bigger garage would be a hell of lot cheaper than the truck. (Just a thought):scratchhead:

752c7b00055468431fe1c90b17b9a7b4.jpg&key=1a2c3fd120033bb4a00e90353cf4f3e986205ca7c1ad97f8141d97918309a27d

ceb8fdc690603e687b6f598403d37cbf.jpg&key=445ce07db884b83dee86accb58f2ccf9cc9513f0a12df6678fe1dd1835190e07

1a80ba8b2d6d897626f2ee40b4ad4221.jpg&key=e1ea3859d367890ab460cef5107b3d8f78ffe6a57c00948ab8619bf55b7f267c

1f3823a44ed4bb96f2f67ec8c1387985.jpg&key=347e84c25ece495dc99719fa324aa8716ce1222291836a183cf26324275f2dce

So many 8” and stubby jokes to be made and so little time.

• Like 2

Biz, the antenna hits the arm that pulls the garage door up/down? Am I seeing that correctly?  

It would if I try. Because the 8” antenna and metal are both perfectly centered in garage. Neither one misses left or right.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

It would if I try. Because the 8” antenna and metal are both perfectly centered in garage. Neither one misses left or right.

You Need to lower the truck bizz  so it fits 

Talk to a Mexican Auto Body guy they will hook you up :)

91chev.jpg