Career change?

Swamp_bucks

13 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I’m a CO for the state. The job takes a certain kind of individual. It’s not a rewarding job but has a ton of benefits. I have my schedule made for the rest of the year and will work under 130 days not counting OT and have oct 1 until dec 22 off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man what a crappy time of year for all that vacation - what will you do?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I know 2 guys  who did that job both went on to do other work but neither did it in new york state .

One moved out to Alaska and the other south Carolina to work  as prison officers.

Don't think the pay and benefits are nearly as good as here probably the reason they did not stick with it .

I remember the guy who moved out to Alaska had some great storys about hunting and fishing out there .

As well as some creepy stories about all the Eskimos in the prisons over there .

Edited by Hawk914

And teachers take shit  for having Summers off.

stop trying to talk like storm that is his act  

Funny I just said to myself, “wow-Hawk had a post I enjoyed AND it was on topic” regarding his friends who are CO. And then this....summer is not capitalized BTW.

13 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Funny I just said to myself, “wow-Hawk had a post I enjoyed AND it was on topic” regarding his friends who are CO. And then this....summer is not capitalized BTW.

Yes I make mistakes sometimes but unlike some I don't go out of my way to pick on people's mistakes to try and annoy them ,  just saying.  it happens,  Especially when you are in a rush doing other things .

But back to the topic the guy who did that in Alaska said the locals are allowed  to basically just hunt from the roads  out there you would have to stop and physically be off the road not shoot from the car  but only like feet  off the pavement was legal I think he said . 

Edited by Hawk914

21 hours ago, bigpaul said:

Try it locally in your County first. You can start part time in most cases and see if it's for you. It's the same criminals that the State gets, they're just not sentenced yet. You'll develop a sick sense of humor and meet a lot of bizarre people.    

This was just brought up to me by a couple of the COs i know that want me to work there.  Im going to call their office monday and see what i can do to atleast try before i make the full jump into it.

18 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

I’m a CO for the state. The job takes a certain kind of individual. It’s not a rewarding job but has a ton of benefits. I have my schedule made for the rest of the year and will work under 130 days not counting OT and have oct 1 until dec 22 off.

This was one of my other reasoning to be able to work a schedule that can be altered a bit.  The one co i know has it worked out to get most of the goose seasons off since he doesnt deer hunt.  I also like the factor compared to CNC work is at some point the economy wont be what it is now and factory work seems to be the first to start layoffs granted you can get laid off as a CO i guess but theres always going to be people getting arrested.

3 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

This was one of my other reasoning to be able to work a schedule that can be altered a bit.  The one co i know has it worked out to get most of the goose seasons off since he doesnt deer hunt.  I also like the factor compared to CNC work is at some point the economy wont be what it is now and factory work seems to be the first to start layoffs granted you can get laid off as a CO i guess but theres always going to be people getting arrested.

I don't know seems like the way this state is going you will see less people going to jail looks like . 

To me I think you should take the next state test, not sure when the next one is but they aren’t very often. Getting into county is easy around here because 75% of them switch to state corrections once their number is called for the academy.

Making your own schedule is nice as long as you’re willing to work and your family is ok with not seeing you for a few days a week. I haven’t worked an 8hr shift in over 2 years. If I’m at work I’m there for 16hrs. I do 3 shifts a week once a month 4 shifts a week but then I have 4 months when I don’t work at all. My schedule this year works out to around 130 days worked this year.

If you can handle the negatives, mentally, then the positives sound great.  A guy where I work quit in his early 50's to do it.  I don't think NYS has enough money to ever get me to do it.  About 15 years ago I actually turned down an opportunity to go be a NYS Trooper because I decided it was not for me.  Guys I work with still break my chops about that because I'd be able to retire before much longer and be making more money, but it was the right decision for me.