started any scouting yet???

Robhuntandfish

Did a drive by and field check this morn.  Unfortunately my best hunting area i was hoping for corn again this year is not corn or even beans but just field.  But ..... saw a real nice buck out there.  It was prob 300 yards away and its early July and I could still tell it was a real nice buck without binos.  Happened to be in the area so wasnt planning and didnt have binos with me, was more checking to see what was planted.  Pleasant surprise for sure.  He was shaking his head prob from deerflies and def a good rack there. Also big body deer.  Hoping its the one i saw during muzzleloader as that was a monster.  

Anyone else out scouting ?  evening field checks on bachelor groups?  My cams go out in a couple of weeks.  Usually do first weekend in Aug and check them first weekend in Sept and then the opener when i walk by.   

Edited by Robhuntandfish

by now you can tell what's corn or beans. which helps if you're hunting nearby. this time of year it's feast or famine for seeing bucks. so it's good to locate some bachelor groups and get an idea of deer numbers. i keep binos in the car or truck now. if it'll be really hot during the day i bring them inside or wrap them in a blanket and put them somewhere out of the sun hitting the interior. some bucks are behind others and some further ahead. summer bodies look way different than during the season for judging age. still a mature buck will have a deep neck connecting low on the chest when heads up.  gives you an idea of what they might have left, along with points being bulb like or not.

• Like 1

No scouting for us. We do very little actual walking around on our properties. Will have a few trail cams going out in September. That will give us an idea of what is around. Once bow season starts, we will be out there to observe more. Then adjust to what we are seeing.

But just this morning, I was at a local place getting my coffee, and a neighbor was telling me about seeing two GIANT bucks fairly close by. He's a no bs kinda guy, so I left him with a smile and bought his coffee.

• Like 4

For the first time ever, I will be hunting without any cams and no scouting.  Been hunting the same parcels for 6 years.  Just going to rely on my experience to tell me where and when to be in the right spot.  I am kind of excited about the going in blind approach.  The questions is whether it will increase or decrease motivation without knowing what exactly is around.  We shall see.

• Like 7

Just now, moog5050 said:

For the first time ever, I will be hunting without any cams and no scouting.  Been hunting the same parcels for 6 years.  Just going to rely on my experience to tell me where and when to be in the right spot.  I am kind of excited about the going in blind approach.  The questions is whether it will increase or decrease motivation without knowing what exactly is around.  We shall see.

i am kinda at that same point. Just doing some tweaking.   But i still put out cams for motivation!  to see what big one might be out there that i wont ever see during season.  lol 

1 minute ago, Robhuntandfish said:

i am kinda at that same point. Just doing some tweaking.   But i still put out cams for motivation!  to see what big one might be out there that i wont ever see during season.  lol 

But what if you don't get a pic of a big boy that gets you excited.  Not knowing can keep you in the game.  Of course confirming can keep you in the game too.  Going to try the former and see how it goes.

• Like 1

I usually let the trail cams do my scouting for me this time of year. Getting that boat and being in kind of a summer mode, I haven't done any brush hogging yet. Last evening I rode out back with the ATV to grab a couple of cams, and the old hay fields were over my head. I could have had a herd of FSW's deer within 20 yards of me and I wouldn't have been able to see 'em!

The two cams I grabbed were pretty much just pics of timothy and goldenrod waving back and forth since mid-June.

Need some tractor seat time!

10 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

But what if you don't get a pic of a big boy that gets you excited.  Not knowing can keep you in the game.  Of course confirming can keep you in the game too.  Going to try the former and see how it goes.

Good point.... but what if you miss out on this oppurtunity!  PICT0023.thumb.JPG.6db53ae364aafa13599f081948722392.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I have done very little scouting,but i am starting to scan the fields and woods edges hard on the drive to work in the mornings. I will put one cam out soon,maybe a second if i can find it. I put it up in the snow in the woods and couldn't find it this spring. The strap might have rotted and it may be on the ground.

So i will be going in half blind anyway. I hope the apples stay on the trees longer this year,the last couple of years they were a non factor during hunting season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I might check my cams tonight actually. Hopefully see a nice buck that i can hold out for all season and never see!

This tactic works best on bucks that you only get pictures of at night.  If you have any questions let me know, Im pretty good at not shooting nocturnal bucks.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This tactic works best on bucks that you only get pictures of at night.  If you have any questions let me know, Im pretty good at not shooting nocturnal bucks.  

Lol. Actually most of my pics are summer daylight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

My actual deer scouting was done back December January February.  Now is just playtime, playing with cameras, I dont get excited untill end of sept.to see what is actually.around. stand locations are pretty set after 26 years on same land. Just replacing / rebuilding blinds,stands. And hang ons get hung now till sept.. then I stay out of woods till bow

• Like 1