deer in Nassau County

greybeard

The other day I received a message , with photos of deer spotted in Levittown, and also of another one  in another area nearby, but I'm not sure exactly what town it was  in(It was near an exit of the parkway).. I got another message today of another sighting , but not sure if it's one of the same deer.Two of the deer  were walking down a street not far from Hempstead TPK..

I saw fox in Massapequa, but never heard of deer in that part of Nassau County.

I've seen them in Cold Spring Harbor and know that they are in Laurel Hollow and Oyster Bay, but never thought they'd go so far south.

First light.. My friend, who sent me the photos and updates had the same thoughts about the power lines . When they were first seen he sent me a satellite map  and somehow he outlined that power cut that goes into Levittown and how he believed that they got down there. (I have to learn how to pull up a map like that and outline a route)

Tonight  I was sent  another photo of deer , but these were in Wantagh yesterday, or today.. Maybe the same deer ???? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, NonTypical said:

I heard of 2 sightings in Levittown. My buddy also saw this doe running down 135 last week and getting off at the 107 exit. C4ADE2AA-E331-49B5-96D3-FD25B530A209.thumb.png.b192dc229e551644292375563afb1c02.png

I guess your buddy is patrolling the deer herd instead of traffic infractions lol

• Like 2

Not Nassau county but here in Huntington Bay I just walked down to the woods which is about 30 acres. It is bordered by homes and the bay. On my neighbors front lawn triplets and mom was just in the tree line. Wish I had my camera. They all looked great! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

They use parkways, greenbelt trails, roads and can swim across the sound (7 plus miles).  We have them at our archery range again, tried calling in a doe for the seminar but she would not come into view, if she was even present.  

Good luck getting snippers in those locations!  Wait till Nassau gets overrun THEN they will open it up and say how come you hunters are not helping enough?  Like Lloyd Harbor, Eatons Neck and the Hamptons...

We keep taking the land they use and wonder why they keep moving into other areas.  Lyme map gets bigger every year!  

21 minutes ago, NFA-ADK said:

They use parkways, greenbelt trails, roads and can swim across the sound (7 plus miles).  We have them at our archery range again, tried calling in a doe for the seminar but she would not come into view, if she was even present.  

Good luck getting snippers in those locations!  Wait till Nassau gets overrun THEN they will open it up and say how come you hunters are not helping enough?  Like Lloyd Harbor, Eatons Neck and the Hamptons...

We keep taking the land they use and wonder why they keep moving into other areas.  Lyme map gets bigger every year!  

It’s a shame what the Feds did to the deer herd in Lloyd Harbor. It used to be a little slice of heaven up there until that “hunter group” started dropping letters in mailboxes which alerted lots of homeowners that they have hunters near their homes

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, bruno1 said:

My buddy is an Oyster Bay Cove cop and set its starting up that way with the car accidents

I live in cove neck, It’s a ticking time bomb. The population is doubling every year with only cars as the only means of reducing the herd. It’s going to have to be dealt with soon. 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 6:34 AM, ANTLERS said:

This poor little guy just got clipped by a car in oyster bay 

AAF100E6-A3C1-4AC2-9FA5-1EE6C228FFB4.jpeg

The young ones especially bucks seem to roam more into unfamiliar territory resulting in more car crashes.  Seems to take them a couple years to figure it out but I have seen monster bucks trying to cross route 27 during rush hour!  Go figure, probably chasing a doe scent he could not resist!

• 2 months later...

We still have a couple of doe hanging around the archery range, during the rut a few bucks chased them around our property.  This poor guy was hit on Jericho  turnpike by Goeller ave. a few months ago during the rut, 2 blocks away from hunter lane next to instant replay.  One thing is for sure, and that is the population is expanding every year. 

IMG_2369.jpeg

No kidding here. Yesterday I get home at three and go for a jog. I live in Northport and jog around the Ocean ave Crab Meadow area. So I pass the entrance to National Grid and look over and see a bunch of deer about to cross into the county park. There were ten that I saw. I jog down a bit further by some houses and on the sidewalk is a doe. I jog up to it and stop. She has two fawns with her. All three walk up to me and start smelling my hands. Someones got to be feeding them. They were so tame. They hang out so close to the road its dangerous for them. I didn't hang around long because of that. All healthy looking just wanting a handout. 

Edited by First-light
  • Like 1