School me on tractors

BigVal

8 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Most compact and sub compact hydrostatic " tractors " are in fact lawnmowers with loader and 3 pt... a homeowners tractor if you will. Like the difference between buying a John Deere's from a big box store and a dealer.. different lines.. not the same at all.. if your tractor takes a mid mount mower it's a mower... not a tractor

I'm sorry, but a compact tractor like my JD 3320 is far from a " lawn mower".  

Think you need to educate yourself on hydro tractors. NOT lawn mowers

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, mowin said:

I'm sorry, but a compact tractor like my JD 3320 is far from a " lawn mower".  

Think you need to educate yourself on hydro tractors. NOT lawn mowers

Lol a perfect large estate home owner lawnmower!  what did it come with a 72 in mid mount deck?? .. 30 hp motor so maybe 24 on PTO? I dont think they even rate that on a drawbar, my cub cadet is nearly the same but I would not try to plow 10 acres and skids logs with it..  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

We shall agree to disagree. There are plenty of things that can go wrong and leave any machine stranded. The power loss from hydro is minimal. I have never been limited on power with my current rig and I would never buy a geared tractor again.

Drive one for yourself, do some work with both, even if it's moving a pile of dirt around before you buy.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Hydro is a huge power suck.  It's handy, but if I wanted a 30HP tractor, I would look for a 50HP hydro to get the same overall power. 

I know a guy who had a 50HP Deere that ended up in the shop.  They gave him a 50HP hydro as a loaner (a Mahindra maybe?)  He put his  7' brushhog on it and it wouldn't mow up hills.  It would run the PTO or it would drive the tractor, but it wouldn't do both.  

IMO hydros are good for mowers.  I also know some vegetable farmers with good soil/flat ground that love them, but I don't know a single dairy farm that has big hydros.  Give a shuttle shift or a manual any day.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, G-Man said:

Lol a perfect large estate home owner lawnmower!  what did it come with a 72 in mid mount deck?? .. 30 hp motor so maybe 24 on PTO? I dont think they even rate that on a drawbar, my cub cadet is nearly the same but I would not try to plow 10 acres and skids logs with it..  

No mower deck.  It's not a lawn mower, it's a tractor.  

I've skidded many logs with it.  Maybe I just know how to use a tractor. I could teach you sometime. :drinks:

I raked hay with a hydro once.  It reminded me of a lawn mower or a golf cart.  To each his own.  I have farmed most of my life and it felt like a toy compared to the MF 165s or Internationals I'm used to.  I had to laugh, cuz the first thing I thought of was belly mowers when I read this thread.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

R4's or R1's ?

Both.  I keep the R4's on most of the time as I do a lot of work on clients properties which inevitably takes me over their lawns frequently.  

It's a PITA swapping tires, especially loaded, but it's cheaper than two tractors.

16 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Is this the tractor in question as to whether its a lawn mower or not ?

2013-John-Deere-3320-Front-Right.jpg

Nope.  No loader on that one, and I don't have a mid pto, so no deck. Again,  It's a tractor, not a mower. Besides, I'm not as good looking as she is. 

Edited by mowin

38 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Is this the tractor in question as to whether its a lawn mower or not ? I just did a google search on JD 3320 ,not sure if this is the actual model or not. 

2013-John-Deere-3320-Front-Right.jpg

I have a JD855, a size or 2 below this model. It has a loader belly mower and turf tires, for the past 22 years it's handled the lawn, snow and landscaping on my 3 acre lot since I built this place. Thought about taking the loader off to mow to get around a little better, it never happened. You should go to a dealer and see if you can demo a tractor or 2 then make your decision. Hydrostatic or gear tractor, if you feel it doesn't have enough power, you need a bigger tractor.

5 minutes ago, helmut in the bush said:

I have a JD855, a size or 2 below this model. It has a loader belly mower and turf tires, for the past 22 years it's handled the lawn, snow and landscaping on my 3 acre lot since I built this place. Thought about taking the loader off to mow to get around a little better, it never happened. You should go to a dealer and see if you can demo a tractor or 2 then make your decision. Hydrostatic or gear tractor, if you feel it doesn't have enough power, you need a bigger tractor.

I have no need for a tractor . I'm left scratching my head though reading the responses . I'll try and explain , my buddy hauls wood of the hill behind his house regularly in cuba ,he runs 2 allis chalmers (what i think of a tractor,big wheels,tons of ground clearance ) I see the sub compact crowd claiming to have tractors but realistically ,they wouldn't even make it through the first tractor path with out getting hung up .  My conclusion is that the word tractor covers a large spectrum of vehicles ,much like the word automobile could mean a smart cart all the way to a 1 ton truck. 

2 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I have no need for a tractor . I'm left scratching my head though reading the responses . I'll try and explain , my buddy hauls wood of the hill behind his house regularly in cuba ,he runs 2 allis chalmers (what i think of a tractor,big wheels,tons of ground clearance ) I see the sub compact crowd claiming to have tractors but realistically ,they wouldn't even make it through the first tractor path with out getting hung up .  My conclusion is that the word tractor covers a large spectrum of vehicles ,much like the word automobile could mean a smart cart all the way to a 1 ton truck. 

Whatever

• Confused 1

Checked a couple out recently, the Ford 3000 diesel ran very well but the 3 point didnt work at all and tires were very poor. I decided to pass on the smaller Ford 1900 as I researched after what wolc and gman said and it's not what I'm looking for. A couple others sold before I got there, I do like the Ford you posted in west Seneca wolc it may be worth a look. 

I guess I need to really decide if I absolutely need a loader right now on this tractor or not. I do have a bigger project that I'll be working on when the house is more complete and I have the time. Which is this Ford. 

20190406_191256.jpg

6 minutes ago, BigVal said:

Checked a couple out recently, the Ford 3000 diesel ran very well but the 3 point didnt work at all and tires were very poor. I decided to pass on the smaller Ford 1900 as I researched after what wolc and gman said and it's not what I'm looking for. A couple others sold before I got there, I do like the Ford you posted in west Seneca wolc it may be worth a look. 

I guess I need to really decide if I absolutely need a loader right now on this tractor or not. I do have a bigger project that I'll be working on when the house is more complete and I have the time. Which is this Ford. 

20190406_191256.jpg

Val is this tractor for 10 acres of corn for a forum get together Goose hunt ?

• Like 2

Man, this thread is epic. Normally, I have just enough knowledge to chime in and join the raucous. However, I’m going to be an adult and not saying anything. Since I know nothing beyond gas push mowers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Man, this thread is epic. Normally, I have just enough knowledge to chime in and join the raucous. However, I’m going to be an adult and not saying anything. Since I know nothing beyond gas push mowers

Are you part of the hydro(auto) or manual transmission camp ?

Edited by wolc123

1 hour ago, BigVal said:

There is also a decent looking Oliver 550 on CL right now that comes with a 6 ft bush-hog, and a 6.5 ft front snow plow for an asking price of $ 6,300.   That is slightly more power than the Ford 600 (Around 40 hp vs 35 for the Ford).   It is also a gas, 2wd.   As I mentioned earlier, it is much easier to find a decent condition, old 2wd tractor without a front loader than it is with one.   The Oliver also has a three point hitch.  Either one of those would work great with a 3-point "pond scoop", and a "boom-pole", to do just about anything a front loader would without the traction and wear&tear issues.   The Oliver probably also has power steering.  585 area code might be the Darien area.   Olivers had a great reputation for quality and durability.   

Edited by wolc123

Here's me, mowing the lawn again ( pulling a 8' disc making a food plot) with my son passed out. If I had a gear tractor, I'd have had to quit, but thankfully my mower can go fast or slow and turn without disturbing him. 549d07025d47837af2e2303723c43262.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Here's me, mowing the lawn again ( pulling a 8' disc making a food plot) with my son passed out. If I had a gear tractor, I'd have had to quit, but thankfully my mower can go fast or slow and turn without disturbing him. 549d07025d47837af2e2303723c43262.jpg&key=57551363f746d4185a9f6abdadbeb123bf2915ea3959c85e5fd1738082a3e8ab

I never wear my wedding band for outdoor activities. I have this fear of busting my finger and can’t get ring off. It stays indoors for sports/hunting/fishing/landscaping/etc