School me on tractors

BigVal

48 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

I can't think of one. All the power loss talk is kind of irelavent. If you know what you will need in hp, and purchase accordingly I can't ever see a regret with hydro.

My previous Kubota was a 30hp gear. I figured my 40hp hydro would be about equal, but it out performs the gear by far, pulling the same attachments and doing the exact same jobs.

Do you think there is a disadvantage to precision speed control?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I have never used a hydro for food-plotting, but I may get the chance next year.   One thing that might be tougher is spraying, where it is important to get even distribution of spray over a large area.   That is easy with gear, but I suppose it could be done with a hydro using "cruise control".    I am also a little concerned about using one with a moldboard plow.    When and if I do, I will let you know how it goes. Have you ever used a plow with yours ?  How about a sprayer ?     

I have mostly used hydro's for lawn-mowing and they are definitely great for that, as long as they have enough hp.  As I mentioned in my prior post, the gear transmission gets the lawn cut using less power.   I have used a hydro tractor/backhoe with a front loader and there I agree that for that use, it is way better than a gear tractor.       

Edited by wolc123

I have never used a hydro for food-plotting, but I may get the chance next year.   One thing that might be tougher is spraying, where it is important to get even distribution of spray over a large area.   That is easy with gear, but I suppose it could be done with a hydro using "cruise control".    I am also a little concerned about using one with a moldboard plow.    When and if I do, I will let you know how it goes. Have you ever used a plow with yours ?  How about a sprayer ?     
I have mostly used hydro's for lawn-mowing and they are definitely great for that, as long as they have enough hp.  As I mentioned in my prior post, the gear transmission gets the lawn cut using less power.   I have used a hydro tractor/backhoe with a front loader and there I agree that for that use, it is way better than a gear tractor.       
I've never sprayed but def have used cruise control. Again, to set a specific speed without trying to figure out if 3rd is too fast or second is too slow, hydro gets you exactly what you need.

Borrowed a 2 bottom and plowed about an acre. Pulled no problem, was in low and had the 4x4 on, then ran the disc over it, went to second plot location and just tried the disc and it broke through the thin sod no prob so never pulled it again. That is on old farm land that hasn't been turned in years.

17 hours ago, wolc123 said:

How is the search going ?   I see there is a Ferguson TO-30 on Buffalo CL right now for $ 900.  That is very similar to a Ford 8n.  It say's that it starts but needs some carburator work.   Seems like a very good price.

Thanks wolc it's going, lots of calls on already sold tractors. Plus truck had an expensive ride home from seneca lake yesterday lol. That forf I posted was 2400 with the brush hog! Sold but he called me to let me know 

16 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

BigVal. There's an older IH with loader on ransom Rd just north of Broadway. Was just put out there yesterday. If you can't make it out this way I can get you the ph# if you want.

Thanks! I'll take a ride by hopefully tomorrow and check it out will let ya know if I cant 

• Like 1

Another task completed. Ran the rig through some thick weeds to make a lane. What a fantastic day to have a hydro ! Field was plowed 2 years ago but never disced down. Huge ruts and bumps all over. Having an infinate amount of speeds really paid off. Didn't have to ride clutch and slow down the mower, could speed up quickly where flat, all the while plenty of power to spin the brush hog. Weeds were 6'+ tall and she never skipped a beat. 0de523b9ed5767d656a35a4e0cfc1b0b.jpg&key=e3f222f36aaecb5484da095fdfd08ac1ca934f5915e236e3b66ef3e0946f14db653dcde9e6027557ec37c18b9421ee64.jpg&key=cd74ce05f08fc4dfd26ebd3e389a439051ccf876fe5e163d726b6e6f4b9d8186b8275c0fc55f49d9856890728daab6ca.jpg&key=ddd612f9165f51e542d5e2698dc734acc76042fbf2809d43b156784f1a5279ae

Did u do ur radiator screen check?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk