School me on tractors

BigVal

Probably a stupid question, but I don’t feel like googling.....what does “skidding logs” mean? Moving/carrying them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Depends on if you have a gear or hydro tractor.

Gear = skidding

Hydro = mowing the lawn

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I never wear my wedding band for outdoor activities. I have this fear of busting my finger and can’t get ring off. It stays indoors for sports/hunting/fishing/landscaping/etc

Mine comes off for fishing and gutting deer.

But when operating my lawn mower, I never worry about it.

• Like 1

Hydro tractot all day long, thats all i have owned and all i have ever needed. Never got stuck through mud, deep snow, side hill work, pulling 2 bottom plow, discs. Digging out trees, plot work., pulling out trailer loads of wood up and down side hills.....etc...the list goes on... my hydro tractor (a Massey) has done every task i ever thew at it. Never had the need for a geared tractor, simplicity of a hydro is a no brainer pick in my opinion.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Heres my lawn mower, mowing lawns. My father (bad knee) making memories with my son, he could not even come close to pushing in a clutch on a gear tractor. 1f6676061c88e7318b060ef6d69ccb3c.jpg&key=85830fcf232ef60fcce126a8fb5b87c527f67e19bba749ba7cf07e2817c9692e

I like your "lawn mower"... Bet some are surprised it handled a tree that size too.  Lol

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

When Johnny Cash got his tractor stuck near pond. Was that a tractor or mower?

Geared tractor.  If it was a hydro tractor he wouldn't have gotten stuck. :drinks:

Edited by mowin
  • Like 2

He's about to get blasted because it's not a gear.

In all seriousness BigVal, for WHAT YOU WANT TO DO, look at a hydro unit. Even the subcompacts are serious work horses. I have a feeling you will agree. Kubota and deer have had hydro for plenty of years where you should be able to find something for a decent price.

If all you can swing is an old geared 2wd, just wait for the right deal and good luck not finding somebody else's problem. Most good running 8n or 9n can be had for 1500$.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

He's about to get blasted because it's not a gear.

In all seriousness BigVal, for WHAT YOU WANT TO DO, look at a hydro unit. Even the subcompacts are serious work horses. I have a feeling you will agree. Kubota and deer have had hydro for plenty of years where you should be able to find something for a decent price.

If all you can swing is an old geared 2wd, just wait for the right deal and good luck not finding somebody else's problem. Most good running 8n or 9n can be had for 1500$.

That isn't bad advice.  I grew up driving tractors, but for someone who didn't-a hydro is a piece of cake.  I like driving stick, but you have to learn how to do it.  

I honestly believe that a small hydro doesn't have much sack though, and those I've driven were a huge disappointment, even compared to OLD gear driven tractors of the same size.  I guess that's my problem is that I compare them to what I know, and they fall short.  I drove Massey Fergusons when I was 7 or 8 years old.  I didn't drive any compact tractor until I was in my 20s.  I only drove hydros in the past few years.  They were all 25-30HP and they sucked hard.  

With that said, you just have to match up the tool with the job.  The only other downside is when the hydro goes they are a paperweight.  It's not like you can just replace the clutch.  One of my customers had his hydro fixed last year and it cost 25% of a new machine.  Easy to operate, not so easy to work on.  

As a side note, it's a damn short list of what could be wrong with an 8n.  It either runs or it doesn't.

I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong.  I just have a different set of experiences.

• Like 2

It's not about being difficult or easy to use it's what is best for the job, either hydro or geared will work for what I want, the only tractors I've driven are geared and never had an issue,  I dont mind shifting and clutching but wouldn't feel like a puss not having to do so either. Like I said this has given me alot to think about and the reality of maybe spending more than I figured. I drove the neighbors international harvester 656 today around a hay field and enjoyed it, pulled the bailer and hay trailer for him. Seems overkill for brush hogging, moving trailers around, some loader work etc lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stubborn1VT said:

That isn't bad advice.  I grew up driving tractors, but for someone who didn't-a hydro is a piece of cake.  I like driving stick, but you have to learn how to do it.  

I honestly believe that a small hydro doesn't have much sack though, and those I've driven were a huge disappointment, even compared to OLD gear driven tractors of the same size.  I guess that's my problem is that I compare them to what I know, and they fall short.  I drove Massey Fergusons when I was 7 or 8 years old.  I didn't drive any compact tractor until I was in my 20s.  I only drove hydros in the past few years.  They were all 25-30HP and they sucked hard.  

With that said, you just have to match up the tool with the job.  The only other downside is when the hydro goes they are a paperweight.  It's not like you can just replace the clutch.  One of my customers had his hydro fixed last year and it cost 25% of a new machine.  Easy to operate, not so easy to work on.  

As a side note, it's a damn short list of what could be wrong with an 8n.  It either runs or it doesn't.

I'm not saying I'm right and you're wrong.  I just have a different set of experiences.

It's the same with trucks.   I only bought manual transmission trucks for yrs. Hated autos.  Useless POS, lol.   Well, now there's no manual transmission available in trucks at all.   My first auto, car or truck was only 15 yrs ago.  I still to this day lift my left foot when coming to a stoplight.  Lol.  

Doesn't mean autos are "lawn mowers" now does it?  Same with tractors.   

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BigVal said:

It's not about being difficult or easy to use it's what is best for the job, either hydro or geared will work for what I want, the only tractors I've driven are geared and never had an issue,  I dont mind shifting and clutching but wouldn't feel like a puss not having to do so either. Like I said this has given me alot to think about and the reality of maybe spending more than I figured. I drove the neighbors international harvester 656 today around a hay field and enjoyed it, pulled the bailer and hay trailer for him. Seems overkill for brush hogging, moving trailers around, some loader work etc lol.

Now you're learning, Val ;-) Buy what you need and spend a reasonable amount on it. If the deal seems too good to be true, it probably is.

The Kubota B7500 in my avatar took an awful beating from my father for ten years while he was working on a church building, and he bought it used. He's not a maintenance guy, BTW. I've had it for ten years and other than replacing the battery there hasn't been a hiccup. Other than not being able to get into really tight spaces to mow it does exactly what i need it to do.

• Like 2