School me on tractors

BigVal

4 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

What kind of blades do you use to mow rocks ? Gotta be gear blades....

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

I just use the blades off of my super duper  meat seaking  crossbow  bolts. Slap them back on come deer season

Edited by Nytracker
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, mowin said:

It's the same with trucks.   I only bought manual transmission trucks for yrs. Hated autos.  Useless POS, lol.   Well, now there's no manual transmission available in trucks at all.   My first auto, car or truck was only 15 yrs ago.  I still to this day lift my left foot when coming to a stoplight.  Lol.  

Doesn't mean autos are "lawn mowers" now does it?  Same with tractors.   

Means you are forced into what they want to sell.. better gas and longevity were proven with gear.. hell just the separator valve for my tractor was almost 1k..  

3 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Means you are forced into what they want to sell.. better gas and longevity were proven with gear.. hell just the separator valve for my tractor was almost 1k..  

Not quite.   15 yrs ago manual tranny's were still available and popular.  I chose to switch to autos back then.  

Up till 2019, you could still get a manual transmission in a Ram. 

Here is proof over gears over automatics, I dont see auto , racecars, drag or pulling tractors except their own special class as they couldn't compete with geared..skidded for pulling lumber are geared.. less to worry about ,cheaper repairs , lest costly maintenance.. hell I need like 11 gallons of hydraulic fluid just for my auxiliary hydraulics cant imagine changing oil in a hydro every few hundred hours....lol 

If you grew up baling hay making 90 degree turns with steering brakes , cutting crimping rolling, plowing acreage, combining, on a geared a hydro will never compare to a geared same size tractors.  

They have a place,large estate lawns, landscaping, mowing ect.. take what the dealers tell you you need ..just like the tractors they sell industrial tire on.nearly all homeowners get.industrial why they dealer says oh it's good for the lawn and work.. .. the more you use a tractor the benefit of speed control and power adjustment for torque using geared shows itself

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Here is proof over gears over automatics, I dont see auto , racecars, drag or pulling tractors except their own special class as they couldn't compete with geared..skidded for pulling lumber are geared.. less to worry about ,cheaper repairs , lest costly maintenance.. hell I need like 11 gallons of hydraulic fluid just for my auxiliary hydraulics cant imagine changing oil in a hydro every few hundred hours....lol 

If you grew up baling hay making 90 degree turns with steering brakes , cutting crimping rolling, plowing acreage, combining, on a geared a hydro will never compare to a geared same size tractors.  

They have a place,large estate lawns, landscaping, mowing ect.. take what the dealers tell you you need ..just like the tractors they sell industrial tire on.nearly all homeowners get.industrial why they dealer says oh it's good for the lawn and work.. .. the more you use a tractor the benefit of speed control and power adjustment for torque using geared shows itself

Really, your comparing race cars and pulling tractors that are highly modified to a normal farm tractor?

Well, if that's the case, then why do tractor trailers ,aka, " tractors" that pull 80k plus are using automatic transmissions more and more.  And don't give me the bull about there being less people that know how to drive a standard.  Drove trucks for too long to fall for that BS.  

Edited by mowin
  • Like 1

So if you read through what you just posted, then read what BigVal is actually looking to do, none of those are on his list.... Pulls, bailing hay, or racing around a track at 200 wasn't what I read in his requirements.

Speed and power requirements.... Another great feature of a hydro trans !

Cavemen carved things with rocks. Then those damn Bic pens showed up.... We were forced !!! We want rocks !

12 minutes ago, mowin said:

Really, your comparing race cars and pulling tractors that are highly modified to a normal farm tractor?

Well, if that's the case, then why do tractor trailers ,aka, " tractors" that pull 80k plus are using automatic transmissions more and more.  And don't give me the bull about there being less people that know how to drive a standard.  Drove trucks for too long to fall for that BS.  

Regional and local trucking companies that use older trucks may hold on to manual transmissions for longer, but the days of a trucker gear-jamming down the interstate in a 36-speed are coming to an end.

Over-the-road carriers face a long-running nationwide shortage of truck drivers, and the shift to automated transmissions is accelerating thanks to the ease of training new drivers to use them.

Most new drivers didn’t grow up driving a stick shift.

“Being able to get a driver and get them into a truck and trained and up and running as fast as possible becomes very valuable to a lot of companies,” said Wesley Slavin, on-highway marketing manager for Peterbilt, which now produces nearly 90 percent of its trucks with an automated transmission.

Sounds like a huge reason for the shift is mostly for the ease of driving and not the mechanics .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Sounds like a huge reason for the shift is mostly for the ease of driving and not the mechanics

No it’s done for the improvement in gas mileage, you still take your test on a standard and may have to drive one. If not you get a license that limits you to an automatic. 

Every shift is programmed, no over revving from the driver ever. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doewhacker said:

No it’s done for the improvement in gas mileage, you still take your test on a standard and may have to drive one. If not you get a license that limits you to an automatic. 

Every shift is programmed, no over revving from the driver ever. 

I just pasted a response from the marketing manager of peterbilt ,the same article showed them training people on simulators with automatic transmission. What would he know.

I just pasted a response from the marketing manager of peterbilt ,the same article showed them training people on simulators with automatic transmission. What would he know.

This guy obviously doesn't drag race top fuel cars....so his opinion on the matter is irelavent

I'm still taking BigVals needs into account but want to make a point. The reason for this automatic / hydro / lawn mower with a loader is pretty simple. It's not that nobody can drive a stick, or a geared tractor, it's simple technological improvements. For homeowners / hobbyist / food plotters, there is no need to have more than one machine. Who wouldn't want a B series Kubota, capable of breaking ground for plots, dragging logs, scooping dirt AND small enough to mow your lawn ??? Seriously !!? I'll stick with the B series. They are typically under 30hp yet can handle MOST tasks. Asking them to pull a hay take or a full hay wagon is obviously something no homeowner is ever gonna ask from their machine. BigVal is not looking to do that. The tech on these rigs is fantastic and the power they have is amazing. For a general purpose rig there is no comparison to a hydro, just like a trucker spending his life on the road will greatly benefit from never having to shift through 18 gears. Take advantage of the tech out there, it's fantastic.

A couple of examples come to mind. I had to spread a bunch of fill at my house when I built the garage, and had a very steep incline up to the building. At the time I had a geared tractor and creeping up to the pile was a royal pain. I had to drive to get the fill in highest gear but was in low range so it was slow, then feather the clutch to get to dump spot, then feather again to get past the pile with the bucket and without hitting the building to grade it back down.

My hydro, I could have hustled to the pile, scooped, hustled to dump spot, dumped, inched forward then grade back fill. Easy peasy.

Skidding logs on a hill... Even with counter balance, with a full load sometimes the front end gets light or you have to stop mid hill, again, geared.... Good luck and your 100% beating your clutch, but hydro - stop, feather go pedal, gain speed, cruise. Easy peasy.

Brush hogging. My geared did not had a live pro as most don't. I'd get into saplings and want to stop to let the hog chew em up... Stop (immediately slows down blades) back to neutral, ok that spots done but I wanna back up 3 more inches, clutch in, reverse (again slowing down blades) reverse - stop (slows down blades again) neutral...

Hydro - back up to saplings, keep backing up, forward a bit, turn the wheel to back up and get the two saplings you missed, back then forward and keep mowing. All with a little movement from your right foot and your hog never slows down.

I could prob sit here and give a million reason how the hydro will outperform a geared. These are real world examples not pulls, hay, or combining.

27 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Will he handle LTL loads of pasteurized RFG seafood? Asking for a friend...

He's in the process of running 400 cases or Coors from Texarkana to Atlanta at the moment ,I'll ask him when he gets done.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

I'm still taking BigVals needs into account but want to make a point. The reason for this automatic / hydro / lawn mower with a loader is pretty simple. It's not that nobody can drive a stick, or a geared tractor, it's simple technological improvements. For homeowners / hobbyist / food plotters, there is no need to have more than one machine. Who wouldn't want a B series Kubota, capable of breaking ground for plots, dragging logs, scooping dirt AND small enough to mow your lawn ??? Seriously !!? I'll stick with the B series. They are typically under 30hp yet can handle MOST tasks. Asking them to pull a hay take or a full hay wagon is obviously something no homeowner is ever gonna ask from their machine. BigVal is not looking to do that. The tech on these rigs is fantastic and the power they have is amazing. For a general purpose rig there is no comparison to a hydro, just like a trucker spending his life on the road will greatly benefit from never having to shift through 18 gears. Take advantage of the tech out there, it's fantastic.

A couple of examples come to mind. I had to spread a bunch of fill at my house when I built the garage, and had a very steep incline up to the building. At the time I had a geared tractor and creeping up to the pile was a royal pain. I had to drive to get the fill in highest gear but was in low range so it was slow, then feather the clutch to get to dump spot, then feather again to get past the pile with the bucket and without hitting the building to grade it back down.

My hydro, I could have hustled to the pile, scooped, hustled to dump spot, dumped, inched forward then grade back fill. Easy peasy.

Skidding logs on a hill... Even with counter balance, with a full load sometimes the front end gets light or you have to stop mid hill, again, geared.... Good luck and your 100% beating your clutch, but hydro - stop, feather go pedal, gain speed, cruise. Easy peasy.

Brush hogging. My geared did not had a live pro as most don't. I'd get into saplings and want to stop to let the hog chew em up... Stop (immediately slows down blades) back to neutral, ok that spots done but I wanna back up 3 more inches, clutch in, reverse (again slowing down blades) reverse - stop (slows down blades again) neutral...

Hydro - back up to saplings, keep backing up, forward a bit, turn the wheel to back up and get the two saplings you missed, back then forward and keep mowing. All with a little movement from your right foot and your hog never slows down.

I could prob sit here and give a million reason how the hydro will outperform a geared. These are real world examples not pulls, hay, or combining.

As I said hydrostatic are fine for large estate and.lawn mowing using a loader.

Geared on a hill have shuttle shift no luck needed with clutch and live PTO on modern gear as well as hydrostatic.  If your going to buy a tractor or build a barn your better off going bigger. And bigger means gears.. for the average homeowner unfamiliar with tractors hydro will do what most want the issue arises when you want to do more , pull more , ect.. doing a plot with small equipment is nice , like guys on atvs..  problem is they are not designed for it,  waste a lot of time and wear and rear on them .compact tractor though still a tractor are designed for large estate maintenance work. If you want to drive over trees and work ground they are not the best option..

Here's a nice watch. Granted, this dude has some serious coin in attachments but just watch the ease of using a hydro for the bucket work...also, fair warning, this is a LAWN MOWER video.

Here's the same guy with his LAWN MOWER doing some tree work. fast forward to 7:33

As I said hydrostatic are fine for large estate and.lawn mowing using a loader.
Geared on a hill have shuttle shift no luck needed with clutch and live PTO on modern gear as well as hydrostatic.  If your going to buy a tractor or build a barn your better off going bigger. And bigger means gears.. for the average homeowner unfamiliar with tractors hydro will do what most want the issue arises when you want to do more , pull more , ect.. doing a plot with small equipment is nice , like guys on atvs..  problem is they are not designed for it,  waste a lot of time and wear and rear on them .compact tractor though still a tractor are designed for large estate maintenance work. If you want to drive over trees and work ground they are not the best option..
Bigger means gear ? I thought bigger meant more hp.....?

3 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I know nada about tractors and you definitely lost me at Coors 

I believe it . I never knew beer snob was a real thing until I watched you force that cup of draft labatt up to your mouth when we went to the gun raffle at the southtown yellow pike club. The look on your face was priceless.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, TreeGuy said:

Bigger means gear ? I thought bigger meant more hp.....?

More hp they make geared, hydro is not used on large tractors as there is no need of it. Just like mini Van's trucks, cars each is designed for a purpose. Hydro compact and sub compact are designed for homeowner ,large estate maintenance.  You can try and do more with them but they have their purpose.. 

Home owner chainsaw vs professional. Most used tractors out there were professional farmers tools , and therefore geared,  companies needed new market as farms got larger and less small farms and tractors last long time. So hit homeowners.landscapers. look it's just like a big one.. fact is they aren't.  The fact that recreational property is the largest and fastest growing market was not overlooked by tractor companies.. problem.is the buyers are un familiar with tractors so hydrostatic are pushed by dealers on them . That is what this comes down to. I dont see professionals going into buy a hydro. If they need a loader they buy a bobcat for clearing stalls,ect.  My cousin sells tractors for a living and sells hydrostatic to new land owners and geared to farmers. The land owners that use them for awhile and demand more from the machine come back trade up and buy geared for working .

More hp they make geared, hydro is not used on large tractors as there is no need of it. Just like mini Van's trucks, cars each is designed for a purpose. Hydro compact and sub compact are designed for homeowner ,large estate maintenance.  You can try and do more with them but they have their purpose.. 
Home owner chainsaw vs professional. Most used tractors out there were professional farmers tools , and therefore geared,  companies needed new market as farms got larger and less small farms and tractors last long time. So hit homeowners.landscapers. look it's just like a big one.. fact is they aren't.  The fact that recreational property is the largest and fastest growing market was not overlooked by tractor companies.. problem.is the buyers are un familiar with tractors so hydrostatic are pushed by dealers on them . That is what this comes down to. I dont see professionals going into buy a hydro. If they need a loader they buy a bobcat for clearing stalls,ect.  My cousin sells tractors for a living and sells hydrostatic to new land owners and geared to farmers. The land owners that use them for awhile and demand more from the machine come back trade up and buy geared for working .
So you will agree, as this post was started, that BigVal should find a hydro ?

16 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I believe it . I never knew beer snob was a real thing until I watched you force that cup of draft labatt up to your mouth when we went to the gun raffle at the southtown yellow pike club. The look on your face was priceless.

As was the look on your face when they bounced you out of there for saying yellow pike! Reminded me of this. Now back to your regularly scheduled pissing contest.

Image result for the far side school for bison

• Like 1
  • Haha 1