School me on tractors

BigVal

Val find yourself a good international 504 utility.
Low profile, good weight distribution, good power, torque, 3 point hitch and straight line draw bar, can be converted from thru the hood stack to down flow under tractor exhaust, live pto.
I have one at my farm in pa and I use one here in NY on my buddies farm. They are work horses and a comfortable open station tractor.

No matter what you get use extreme caution if skidding logs, use the 3 point system to get the nose of the log off the ground. A geared tractor will flip faster than you can imagine. I have had the misfortune of digging out 3 fatals from tractor flips..2 were dragging logs that the nose caught a stump and the last one was a woman that was trying to pull a stump.

If you stumble across a 504 utility I have a spare loader.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Proving another valid point that old tractors gear or hydro, can break and cost money to repair.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

30 plus years of true farming and tens of thousands of hours.. still cheaper than fixing a hydro. And been 33 years since rebuilt and still going strong

• Like 1

The biggest thing my kubota  runs out of for its size is weight. Loaded tires improves things but in  the end  it is light.  I easily  picked my 500 lbs 4 foot brush hog off the back of my truck . Did get a little bouncy  as I didn't have anything on the 3 pts for counter balance.

Do I wish I had more tractor yes  mine is 26 hp  19 at the pto at 540 . Does it do what I expect .... yes and more  sometimes .

Does everything  I expected from a scut.

If I had the money I would buy an older  L38  for food plotting  and dedicated work on the hunting property. Didn't have the money for 2 tractors.

20170414_122508.jpg

• Like 1

30 plus years of true farming and tens of thousands of hours.. still cheaper than fixing a hydro. And been 33 years since rebuilt and still going strong
Point was for bigVal. Most older and cheaper gears will be farm beat and probability of repairs is high.

Most repairs on older tractors aren't all that expensive.  Clutches are cheap compared to big hydraulic pumps.  Hydros may work for some stuff, but they won't stand up to farming.  I know plenty of 40-80 year old tractors (MF and Internationals) that start and work every day.  Both types have their uses, but gear driven tractors are durable as hell.

• Like 1

I actually looked into 2 things. A new clutch for my jubilee was gonna cost me about 250 in parts. A new hydro pump for my Kubota is 400. Most likely, if ever, either of those would have to be replaced once, and my opinion still stands that a hydro would be a fantastic trans for a general use rig and a cost difference of 150$ is peanuts in comparison to the benefits of the hydro.

1 hour ago, TreeGuy said:

I actually looked into 2 things. A new clutch for my jubilee was gonna cost me about 250 in parts. A new hydro pump for my Kubota is 400. Most likely, if ever, either of those would have to be replaced once, and my opinion still stands that a hydro would be a fantastic trans for a general use rig and a cost difference of 150$ is peanuts in comparison to the benefits of the hydro.

And where is that hydro pump located ...take half the tractor apart to get to it... 

Do you think you could fix the hydro yourself?  I could do a clutch.  What you suppose it would cost to split a tractor and fix the hydraulic pump?  One of my customers had his 25HP hydro fixed last year.  Cost him $2500.  

I'm glad you are happy with yours.  It IS a heck of a machine, but not superior to a geared tractor.  Or maybe you're right and every farmer in the world is wrong.

Nice simple summary...

Default Re: Looking for my first tractor! Can anyone recommend a nice little CUT?

HST transmission tractors have been refined over the last twenty years. 90% of new compact tractors are sold with HST transmissions. Minimal demand for clutch & gear transmissions today, NEW or USED.

Considering tractors older than 15 or 20 years I would go with gear over early HST, if you are competent at operating clutch & gear vehicles.

Considerable loader work on a contemporary tractor? HST for sure.

Nice simple summary...

icon1.png&key=a8379556d3c793edcd0b3d66f521800a53e9321fd5170c4064fdf8731bf571b4 Re: Looking for my first tractor! Can anyone recommend a nice little CUT?

HST transmission tractors have been refined over the last twenty years. 90% of new compact tractors are sold with HST transmissions. Minimal demand for clutch & gear transmissions today, NEW or USED.

Considering tractors older than 15 or 20 years I would go with gear over early HST, if you are competent at operating clutch & gear vehicles.

Considerable loader work on a contemporary tractor? HST for sure.
That is correct. Hst superior for loader work and newer hydros reliable. Thanks for posting !

2 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

That is correct. Hst superior for loader work and newer hydros reliable. Thanks for posting !

Yes , again back to original post asking about older tractor..geared is way to go. And you dont have a choice now as 90% of subcompact tractors are hst.. targeting homeowners looking for a tractor...  not a tractor but glorified lawn mowers... 

Yes , again back to original post asking about older tractor..geared is way to go. And you dont have a choice now as 90% of subcompact tractors are hst.. targeting homeowners looking for a tractor...  not a tractor but glorified lawn mowers... 
"Older", as in "not brand new with payments" as I read in the original post. BigVal also mentioned a loader, so that's where I'm basing my statements. Plenty of "newer" hydros out there from early 90's on.

So again to your post that said hydro is best for loader work, at least that person and I agree, along with millions of other "homeowners".

And for what it's worth, your petty stabs at the glorified lawn mowers are making me laugh and not upsetting me, if that's what your shooting for.

I know what your tractors are capable of.

You have no idea what my lawn mower is capable of.

1 minute ago, TreeGuy said:

"Older", as in "not brand new with payments" as I read in the original post. BigVal also mentioned a loader, so that's where I'm basing my statements. Plenty of "newer" hydros out there from early 90's on.

So again to your post that said hydro is best for loader work, at least that person and I agree, along with millions of other "homeowners".

And how often do most.people need a loader.. I agreed for.loader work if you go back. And.read  so did others I remember  loader, landscaping bunch of.l.words . Mowing and food plot work is not running back and forth moving stone and mulch. Its more work suited  but one from.70s or 80s is not.gonna be reliable hst.  And can get more hp at a much more reasonable price than a tractor you use loader on 3 or 4x a year to get into a contemporary tractor...

And how often do most.people need a loader.. I agreed for.loader work if you go back. And.read  so did others I remember  loader, landscaping bunch of.l.words . Mowing and food plot work is not running back and forth moving stone and mulch. Its more work suited  but one from.70s or 80s is not.gonna be reliable hst.  And can get more hp at a much more reasonable price than a tractor you use loader on 3 or 4x a year to get into a contemporary tractor...

BigVal said he wanted a loader.... I can tell you my loader has come in handy 29864766289374477437 times.

Let pull up an example or two (keep in mind, this is the same rig I mow my lawn with, skid logs, food plots, plow 2700' driveway,grade driveway, haunted hay ride, move trailers around, etc etc )

GTK !!b5692c9f1829179453a05f102f3a90a6.jpg&key=ab78efe762b251797f2dcdd734d4a32afa344e9fb63d85bce19d3eb1a38de64809c00d5ef3328d581218d53390392cfa.jpg&key=4943904679caedcbd5c3841108bf53969cd4eebf638d8d59afd2d5e1f6b9d4bb

1 minute ago, TreeGuy said:

And for what it's worth, your petty stabs at the glorified lawn mowers are making me laugh and not upsetting me, if that's what your shooting for.

I know what your tractors are capable of.

You have no idea what my lawn mower is capable of.

As I said cub cadet.made a hst lawn mower tractor .. they are fine for large estate maintenance.  Sub compact tractors can work but your pushing limits to what they can do. And are designed for ( homeowner estate lawnmower)  . A 500 lb or 600 lb lift on a bucket is nothing... 1 ton or close to 1 ton is a tractor, a cord of wood is a ton,  1/3 yard buckets..  you can play all day and ease of use but vs a subcompact I need to make 1 trip. They need to make 5 to accomplish the same. I've lifted single logs a 50hp kubota couldn't with a 35 hp tractor.  Why buy an undersized easy to use machine when you can buy one that is simply a larger older geared tractor is designed to do tasks with ease and quickly.. 

you can dig a pond with a jd350 dozer and take week doing it or do it with a d3  and be done in 2 days.. machine matched to tasks.  Ease of use is not important if you take 3x as long to accomplish something.. I can use my kubota b7200 and one bottom plow and several tanks of fuel to plow but the Oliver does acres in hours and using almost half a tank..  

How many times do you see a undersized tractor trying to turn a 5 or 6 ft bushhog when they are designed for 44 or 4ft models.. it will turn it but way underpowered.. add mowing gup and down hills. And many will not be able to at all.  Most bang for the buck to do food plot work and bushhogging is an older geared tractor with a loader for occasional use.

BigVal said he wanted a loader.... I can tell you my loader has come in handy 29864766289374477437 times.  
Let pull up an example or two (keep in mind, this is the same rig I mow my lawn with, skid logs, food plots, plow 2700' driveway,grade driveway, haunted hay ride, move trailers around, etc etc )

GTK !!b5692c9f1829179453a05f102f3a90a6.jpg&key=ab78efe762b251797f2dcdd734d4a32afa344e9fb63d85bce19d3eb1a38de64809c00d5ef3328d581218d53390392cfa.jpg&key=4943904679caedcbd5c3841108bf53969cd4eebf638d8d59afd2d5e1f6b9d4bb

Those ruts in the grass make me nauseous. But a helicopter, save the lawn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

And your drive a 40 hp 30 k machine when I can do same with 4k 40 hp 1970 ford.. yes new ,modern contemporary are nice that wasnt the question as I said new I would push a kioti for gmp,weight and most bang for the buck. Even on a used one few years old.. 

And your drive a 40 hp 30 k machine when I can do same with 4k 40 hp 1970 ford.. yes new ,modern contemporary are nice that wasnt the question as I said new I would push a kioti for gmp,weight and most bang for the buck. Even on a used one few years old.. 
Not even 1/3 of 30k, fyi. And will lift over a ton in the bucket without pushing it's limits. Brush hogs like a dream even when into saplings. The more scenarios you bring up, the better you make an old Kubota hat sound.

Maybe you need to drive something other than a Cub cadet so you can open your eyes to what's ACTUALLY out there.

Have you ever driven and used a 2002 Kubota, 40hp HST ?

9 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

Not even 1/3 of 30k, fyi. And will lift over a ton in the bucket without pushing it's limits. Brush hogs like a dream even when into saplings. The more scenarios you bring up, the better you make an old Kubota hat sound.

Maybe you need to drive something other than a Cub cadet so you can open your eyes to what's ACTUALLY out there.

Have you ever driven and used a 2002 Kubota, 40hp HST ?

I've driven a 2012 kubota 45hp hst and my geared 2007 35hp kioti out performed it  handily.  Using a farmi logging winch and skidding and.lifting 38in diameter larch logs the kubota couldn't lift .  If you bough that for 10 k you got a heck of a steal.  Used still command more than that today if you can find them. 40 hp and up aren't that common.

• Like 1

I've driven a 2012 kubota 45hp hst and my geared 2007 35hp kioti out performed it  handily.  Using a farmi logging winch and skidding and.lifting 38in diameter larch logs the kubota couldn't lift .  If you bough that for 10 k you got a heck of a steal.  Used still command more than that today if you can find them. 40 hp and up aren't that common.

Odd. Doing a quick search on tractordata.com, your tractor is almost 6hp less than the Kubota TESTED. So what your telling me is that a lower hp tractor out performed a higher hp tractor on a 3pt implement ??? They also rate the Kubota over 1000# TESTED more lift on the bucket. Either way, your confusing me. As you tell bigval that he shouldnt get a "subcompact" cause you will push it to it's limits, yet your lifting 38" round logs with a "subcompact"....?