School me on tractors

BigVal

I have never tried a hydro for food plot work (just used them for lawn mowing), but I may soon get a chance.   My father in law is clearing some land up at his place, in the northern zone.  He has a 2 year old, 40ish hp Kubota hydro with a loader and loaded R4 tires.    Maybe I will take my 2 bottom plow and 6.5  ft disk up there and see how it does.   It works great for clearing snow with the loader bucket swapped out for a hydraulic blade and chains on the tires.  If it strikes out on the 2 bottom plow, there is an old 8n Ford for sale a few miles up the road that could probably be had for around $ 1500.   I am pretty sure that it don't have draft control on the hydraulics, so the Ford might be a good purchase just to get that.           

8 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

Odd. Doing a quick search on tractordata.com, your tractor is almost 6hp less than the Kubota TESTED. So what your telling me is that a lower hp tractor out performed a higher hp tractor on a 3pt implement ??? They also rate the Kubota over 1000# TESTED more lift on the bucket. Either way, your confusing me. As you tell bigval that he shouldnt get a "subcompact" cause you will push it to it's limits, yet your lifting 38" round logs with a "subcompact"....?

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

The difference in lift is because the Kioti has a bigger pump, and it isn't running the transmission.  35HP doesn't fall into the subcompact catagory.  Pulling logs like that is impressive, but with the winch gives you such a mechanical advantage.  Once it's up in the air it isn't so hard to pull, as long as you have room to maneuver.

3 minutes ago, stubborn1VT said:

The difference in lift is because the Kioti has a bigger pump, and it isn't running the transmission.  35HP doesn't fall into the subcompact catagory.  Pulling logs like that is impressive, but with the winch gives you such a mechanical advantage.  Once it's up in the air it isn't so hard to pull, as long as you have room to maneuver.

Yep steering brakes work wonders.. :)

6 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I have never tried a hydro for food plot work (just used them for lawn mowing), but I may soon get a chance.   My father in law is clearing some land up at his place, in the northern zone.  He has a 2 year old, 40ish hp Kubota hydro with a loader and loaded R4 tires.    Maybe I will take my 2 bottom plow and 6.5  ft disk up there and see how it does.   It works great for clearing snow with the loader bucket swapped out for a hydraulic blade and chains on the tires.  If it strikes out on the 2 bottom plow, there is an old 8n Ford for sale a few miles up the road that could probably be had for around $ 1500.   I am pretty sure that it don't have draft control on the hydraulics, so the Ford might be a good purchase just to get that.           

40 hp even a hydro will be 30 plus on the hitch will pull a 2 bottom easily. 

8 hours ago, wolc123 said:

I'll be up in Porter using my small hydro next month. You are welcome to come play with it. Will be brushhogging and discing, moving loads of dirt with the bucket.

Right. And they are only a few hp off at the pto, tested. Meaning, if in fact the Kubota can't lift it, and the kioti can, it's being pushed to it's limits, which Gman said is a bad thing. I think he's stretching to say the least by saying the kioti has that much more pull. Regardless if a pump is 10gpm or 1000gpm, if it's tested to lift 1000# more, it should lift 1000# more, hydro or not.

Also, 35hp and 40hp in fact does fall in that category, per Gman since it can accept a belly mower, it's a mower.

6 hours ago, TreeGuy said:

Right. And they are only a few hp off at the pto, tested. Meaning, if in fact the Kubota can't lift it, and the kioti can, it's being pushed to it's limits, which Gman said is a bad thing. I think he's stretching to say the least by saying the kioti has that much more pull. Regardless if a pump is 10gpm or 1000gpm, if it's tested to lift 1000# more, it should lift 1000# more, hydro or not.

Also, 35hp and 40hp in fact does fall in that category, per Gman since it can accept a belly mower, it's a mower. 

I'm not following you about the Kioti.  A gear tractor will lift more because it is only trying to do one thing at once.  The Kioti will lift more because it is built with a bigger pump.  Beyond that, I'm not following.

A 35-40HP fits solidly in the compact class vs a 25HP which is sub-compact.  

Yours is the only 40HP I've ever heard of that will accept a belly mower.  Generally, only sub-compacts have belly mowers.  Thus, the generalization that a belly mower means it's a glorified mower.  

I'm glad you're having fun with this.  It is interesting, and it's good to hear what you can do with your Kubota.  

On 7/22/2019 at 3:25 PM, reeltime said:

Val find yourself a good international 504 utility.
Low profile, good weight distribution, good power, torque, 3 point hitch and straight line draw bar, can be converted from thru the hood stack to down flow under tractor exhaust, live pto.
I have one at my farm in pa and I use one here in NY on my buddies farm. They are work horses and a comfortable open station tractor.

No matter what you get use extreme caution if skidding logs, use the 3 point system to get the nose of the log off the ground. A geared tractor will flip faster than you can imagine. I have had the misfortune of digging out 3 fatals from tractor flips..2 were dragging logs that the nose caught a stump and the last one was a woman that was trying to pull a stump.

If you stumble across a 504 utility I have a spare loader.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Thanks reeltime! Appreciate the insight and good to hear from ya hope all is well. 

• Like 1

I'm not following you about the Kioti.  A gear tractor will lift more because it is only trying to do one thing at once.  The Kioti will lift more because it is built with a bigger pump.  Beyond that, I'm not following.
A 35-40HP fits solidly in the compact class vs a 25HP which is sub-compact.  
Yours is the only 40HP I've ever heard of that will accept a belly mower.  Generally, only sub-compacts have belly mowers.  Thus, the generalization that a belly mower means it's a glorified mower.  
I'm glad you're having fun with this.  It is interesting, and it's good to hear what you can do with your Kubota.  
I was reverting to specs. The specs on a 45hp Kubota to a 35hp kioti showed a 1000# difference in capability favoring the kubota (bucket lift) I also don't follow how those specs are obviously wrong in the real world test that Gman did. I can understand rated hp vs at pto ( like an older Oliver rated at 73 but 62@pto) but specs are specs. Are we talking operating the winch and lifting it with 3pt ?

Hopefully bigval has major logging plans or we are wasting our time discussing this !

On 7/23/2019 at 8:25 AM, TreeGuy said:

Mine doesnt accept  a mower or have a mid PTO but it does  have  draft control.  Though I do have a backhoe for it.  2800 lbs its 401 loader. . And it's a 15.2 gpm pump

Edited by G-Man

2006 Kioti Dk 35se, with 401 loader And backhoe

Well, I did a little research. One of the major arguments that has been stated is that a hydro trans eats HP.

Here are some facts how the 06 kioti compares to a 2001 Kubota l3710

2006 kioti hp claimed 38

2001 Kubota hp claimed 38.5

Kioti at PTO 28.5

Kubota at PTO. 30

That shows that a 5 year senior model tractor, with hydro trans, has less power loss at PTO than a geared machine on basically equal horsepower.

Now truth be told, the 401 loader was an upgrade where the Kubota did not offer an upgrade, so for these purposes I will compare standard equipment (351) as most likely in the used market standard is more available than upgraded

Kioti loader @15.2gpm

Kubota loader @7.8gpm

Kioti lift. 2640

Kubota lift 2557

Lift to full height

Kioti 1415

Kubota 1499

Here I noticed that even though the Kubota pump/gpm is half what the kioti is, it can lift just under 100 less #'s, yet is able to lift just under 100# MORE to full height.

I am learning things here !!

BigVal, I hope my research has helped you see some actual # differences on what these machines can actually do. I'm not pushing Kubota, but one other fact about them that's different than other manufacturers is they make their own powerplants. No other company does that. This amongst other reasons is why kubotas hold their value vs kioti or tym are significantly less money used. Or who knows, maybe you find the one that fits you well and you hold on to it for awhile, which is what I'm hoping to help you with so you don't get machines that won't do most of the tasks you want to do and end up bouncing from one to the next.

• Like 1