The Jerkmann

What Are You Planning To Hunt In October If You Are Not A Deer Hunter?

I really don't Hunt Deer myself- so when October 1st rolls around-- my mind is Totally on Pheasants and Woodcock. I have been Pheasant Hunting since age 14 in 1974. Sometimes taking 30 a Season all through my Teens and 20s. Of course my Father had some Great Pheasant dogs. When, I was in my early Teens--guess who had to clean 4 Pheasants on a Saturday and another 4 on a Sunday. Yup my job as a kid. Seems like Timberdoodles are making a comeback in recent years. I have some good Woodcock Fly in Areas that, I will take to the Grave! So if Big Racks and eating Venison don't interest you-- what will you be hunting in October 2019??

This October 1st will mark the start of my 46th year of Hunting. Old man river indeed. I missed out on 16 years as far as Turkey Hunting goes as My area had no Turkeys. I got started at the late age of 30. 

• Like 1

Ill maybe hunt some pheasants and possibly grouse once or twice, but Ill definitely be going out trying for wood ducks. Id love to get one to mount. 

• Like 1

When I’m at my place in late October, I like for my toughest decision to be whether I should bowhunt for deer or go duck hunting. 

• Like 3

I always make time for a little grouse hunting..

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

Since 2014, when the crossbow was legalized for the last two weeks of archery season in the southern zone, I have not hunted deer in October around home.   My archery deer take has actually increased considerably since then, despite many less hours hunting, due to the greater effectiveness of the crossbow.    Most likely, I will make a couple "long-weekend" trips up to the northern zone, to do a bit of deer hunting in October (where everything opens up about a month earlier), with my crossbow, ML, and rifles.   I will also be on the hunt for bear up there, and bring along my 16 gauge double, in case there are a lot of grouse in the area.   

My October hunts at home, in the southern zone, will be mostly for grey squirrel.   I am really looking forward to trying that with a pellet gun this year.   The ammo is much less expensive than that for my .22 rimfire, and the silent report may lead to more action by letting the woods "settle down" faster between shots.   I also look forward to filling my fall turkey tag this October (or early November).  When it comes to turkey, I have always been a dark meat fan, and the drumsticks from the young hen that I killed last fall were very tasty.    

I always like deer hunting better, after it gets colder in November, because it makes it easier to age the meat properly.   Venison can be kind of tough if you process it before the rigor mortis breaks down.   Also, the rut don't usually peak until around Veteran's day and that is always my favorite time to hunt deer.  Last but not least, ticks are less of an issue, after it gets colder.   

Edited by wolc123

Early or late season I have always preferred small game hunting over Deer hunting because of the action and variety of hunting methods, and equipment small game provides. Grouse, Woodcock, Pheasant, Waterfowl and Turkey, Rabbits, Squirrels, Coons, Fox and Coyote, I am not prejudiced, I like hunting them all.

Al

• Like 3

Serious Dogs For Serious Work

Not real sure why, but I plan to try and get after some small game this October. I will be out with the bow for deer, but I want to change things up a little this year.

Even the trip I have planned in the ADK's for a week I may do some small game hunting. I know I plan to get some bass fishing in during that week.

• Like 1

i will be walking all over public land with my .22 plinking squirrels and pissing off bowhunters

• Haha 3

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

16 hours ago, BigVal said:

Beaver is always in season 

while open season, there are 12 times a year where the waters are red and only really desperate beaver hunters pursue the allusive beast. 

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

5 hours ago, Pigmy said:

while open season, there are 12 times a year where the waters are red and only really desperate beaver hunters pursue the allusive beast. 

The "Red Wing Club". We don't let a little blood scare us! It's like cocktail sauce on a clam.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1