Painter

Paula

FWIW, it sounds like the wall wasn't (sufficiently) primed. I would peel off what comes off easily, feather sand the edges of the paint, and prime the whole thing before repainting. If you are worried about more peeling, and don't want to take off all of the old paint, you could prime it with Guardz before regular primer and paint. I am not a professional painter. I would think there would be some on this forum. Listen to them before me, but this is what I think, FWIW.

• Like 2

The fact I can see reflection of that door in the paint is telling me that a semi or gloss was coated over and they can make for this issue.

Unfortunate is that proper prep always takes time and few are willing (even some "pro's" ) to do it.

Goose is not a pro but is on the right track IMO.

I'd do what is suggested in his post and pull what you can a  flexible thin 6" taping knife works good for this, a thick stiff knife will dig up wall and require compound to fill in scratches, sand and  remaining coat edges with compound (blue bucket lightweight ok for this) and prime.

Benjamin Moore Fresh Start #23......one with green ring around label.....would make a good choice. I use that on almost every project that has issues.

https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/interior-exterior-paints-stains/product-catalog/fspip/fresh-start-premium-interior-primers

Edited by Dinsdale
  • Like 3

PS....I'd patch and stick sand the whole wall anyway to cut the gloss and smooth out any of the boogers (<<<sorry just don't know a better term) that are in the paint before prime.

One thing you can pick out a pro is if they clean up the wall between coats.

A sanding pole and 220 mesh makes quick work of this. You're just cleaning up the surface not trying to cut through it.....it takes longer to type out then actually do it.

I am absolutely prepared to do sanding, small hallway. I have already bought 5 gallons of kilz, so that is what I am going to use. I guess I should check the rest of the walls. 

Look at the colors they used....the purple Leeds to the red 

Screenshot_20190716-182824.png

Screenshot_20190716-182839.png

Edited by Paula

24 minutes ago, Dinsdale said:

PS....I'd patch and stick sand the whole wall anyway to cut the gloss and smooth out any of the boogers (<<<sorry just don't know a better term) that are in the paint before prime.

Jeez, snot rockets would have been a little more appropriate.  :)

1 minute ago, BeIo said:

Off topic a bit.Our daughter is soon going to buy a house , been looking online, some folks sure paint some .ah interesting colors ......

I think in two other rooms they were trying for tropical, Lol