Ok ok, I'm sure this has been addressed but....

buffalojay83

What kind were they?  Mechanical s have gotten a lot better over the years...  I switched to mechanical rages and I will never go back....  Now the no collar design there is pretty much flawless system....  i know some mechanical you have to have the collar lined up perfect with blades or they may not open the way they are supposed to.......

30, plus years of killing deer with a bow and arrow , fixed for me .cut on contact Mangus Stingers . Once a few year ago I tried a Rage , buck died , but I was less then impressed by performance .

Its all

about shot placement , double lung it and it’s dead within 15 seconds no matter the head  , don’t take iffy shots expecting the head to make up for poor shot choices ,imho .

• Like 4

Switching back to fixed blade had an issue 2 years ago on a deer never got penetration and they never opened.  Deer was going to be perfectly fine just a little sore.  I tried them last year never hit anything but i wasnt confident in them so im going to the cut as soon as it hits method. 

Say what you want but the rage have left some absurd holes in deer for me and I never had one fail.   Obviously I hunt trad bows with fixed but I do miss the blood trails a blind man can follow from the rage.  Any sharp head on a well placed shot will work.  Huge cutting diameter just works better if one doesn’t like searching for blood specs.  

• Like 3

I have shot spitfires for years and years and never had a problem with them and always loved the big holes and the massive blood trails they left . But after seeing guys post photos of the damage that the Magnus black hornets were leaving I am trying them this year. 

• Like 1

I’d like to hear details of that hunt, where’d you hit him, how do you know it didn’t open etc? Not doubting you I just find this stuff fascinating. I tune with Montecs and hunt with a cheap Carbon Express mech that I have had great success with on deer bears and hogs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I use mechanicals and have always used them, but that was due to not knowing how to tune my bow properly. After I get my bow tuned this year, I might try a fixed blade on a doe and see how I like them. One thing i love about mechanicals is the great blood trail, but the poor penetration isnt fun to deal with tbh

29 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

I use mechanicals and have always used them, but that was due to not knowing how to tune my bow properly. After I get my bow tuned this year, I might try a fixed blade on a doe and see how I like them. One thing i love about mechanicals is the great blood trail, but the poor penetration isnt fun to deal with tbh

I went one step stiffer with my arrows and installed 50g of brass up front , the increased FOC made all the difference in the world .  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I went one step stiffer with my arrows and installed 50g of brass up front , the increased FOC made all the difference in the world .  

I read your last post on that and have actually been thinking of adding some more weight up front with a screwin brass thing. Ill see how it goes with out, but if its not working well, thats what ill do. 

I used mechanical up to this upcoming season.  Last year i really stepped up and tuned my bow, put 50 grain inserts up front, its amazing how these magnus hornets fly. I don't have an big issue with mechanical performance, have had much success with rage and nap. I AM however sick of having to check my blades all the time to see if there open and be delicate putting them in and out of the quiver. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rob-c said:

I have shot spitfires for years and years and never had a problem with them and always loved the big holes and the massive blood trails they left . But after seeing guys post photos of the damage that the Magnus black hornets were leaving I am trying them this year. 

Right with yah, coworker shot 3 with a bow last year and his pictures the he sent me are amazing for a fixed head. 

• Like 1

It only takes one meager or bloodless tracking when you question your choice of BHs. And that's w/o considering the previous 10+ deer you might have gotten with same BHs...

Just one of those archery equipment or style of hunting debates that'll linger forever. Use or do whatever makes you confident when that moment of truth presents itself. All about personal preference!!!!

Edited by nyslowhand
  • Like 3

I am trying the Montec G5 this year,switched from the muzzy three blade. I found some of the muzzys wouldn't spin very well on my arrows,got a wobble. 

The only time they did not work was when i hit a doe either in the spine or high shoulder,but not much would have.

• Like 1