Ok ok, I'm sure this has been addressed but....

buffalojay83

15 minutes ago, ATbuckhunter said:

Looks like a good head, but you'll have to watch for rust on them. They're high carbon steel if I read correctly 

They sharpen great.  Never had an issue with rust with them, but they pretty much stay dry when stored.

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

Just now, ATbuckhunter said:

Im terrible at sharpening blades, which is why I love replaceable blades

The VPA are easy and frankly plenty sharp out of the box.  The three blade are the easiest to sharpen as you just lay them flat on a stone. 

• Like 1

Just now, The_Real_TCIII said:

People have complained about their lack of sharpness since they first came out. I use them to tune

In fairness, it was my first season hunting and I am sure I didn't sharpen them.  So perhaps with some work they do well.

2 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

https://bowlogic.com/arrows/grim-reaper-whitetail-special-review/

Never seen more damage than these do.  I have shot and liked the way rage work. But hate them popping out of collars. So went to these and love them. 

Had a buddy that swore by the grim reapers. Basically a cousin of the spitfires. 

• Like 1

I'm a fan of the Montec G5 as well.  I know there are tons of videos of other broadheads doing it as well as real life testimonies but when you feel the weight and look at the built of the G5 you just get a better confidence that it'll power right through bone/shoulder blade, etc.

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

https://bowlogic.com/arrows/grim-reaper-whitetail-special-review/

Never seen more damage than these do.  I have shot and liked the way rage work. But hate them popping out of collars. So went to these and love them. 

I wanted to try these but I don't think they make them in 125g.  Plus I have way too many rage lying around.

46 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I wanted to try these but I don't think they make them in 125g.  Plus I have way too many rage lying around.

I think they make them in the razor cut but not the whitetail special.  The razorcuts are awesome too. I've killed deer with the razors but went to the bigger whitetail specials.  Just not as big a hole but still 3 blade and still a big hole

But if I still had Rages left I would shoot them too. They work great, I just always hated those collars and the blades popping out.  

22 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Say what you want but the rage have left some absurd holes in deer for me and I never had one fail.   Obviously I hunt trad bows with fixed but I do miss the blood trails a blind man can follow from the rage.  Any sharp head on a well placed shot will work.  Huge cutting diameter just works better if one doesn’t like searching for blood specs.  

Honestly in the last ten years or so I haven’t had to track any deer in gun or bow, except the Rage shot and that was less then 100 yards and mostly due to my high  quartering  away shot . No exit wound didn’t help , but was a two minute recovery , so,I guess it did it’s job ,I didn’t too , high a shot .

If you guys don’t like sharping the heads Mangus  will for free , but it sees like they just send you new ones , which I’m sure is cheaper for them .

its to early for all this bow talk , maybe Sept .

25 minutes ago, BeIo said:

Honestly in the last ten years or so I haven’t had to track any deer in gun or bow, except the Rage shot and that was less then 100 yards and mostly due to my high  quartering  away shot . No exit wound didn’t help , but was a two minute recovery , so,I guess it did it’s job ,I didn’t too , high a shot .

If you guys don’t like sharping the heads Mangus  will for free , but it sees like they just send you new ones , which I’m sure is cheaper for them .

its to early for all this bow talk , maybe Sept .

Honestly Lar, at the poundage you shoot, I would stick with COC heads.  I never had any issue with penetration. But also shot 80plus lbs.   I could see a huge cutting head being an issue shooting 60lbs or less.  

• Like 3

You’re right, I had no idea there was a poundage requirement for them , I don’t read bow mags or read up on any of that stuff on the net . I was OK these will be great !

It was my lower poundage and high shot, that lead to,poor penetration, never found arrow and believe I hit a high artery which saved me .

I love cut on contact because they often don’t run off like they were kicked in the ass , I truly feel they don’t feel them , like when you cut yourself shaving and don’t know till you see the blood .

This is funny , Dr pulled a 3/4 inch “ wire “ out of my chest the other day, removing a tick ,I saw a black line in my chest , a tweezers and razor blade and I couldn’t remove it , Dr gave me a shot and dug  deep,, never knew it was in me . I guess cut on contact wire .....

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, BeIo said:

You’re right, I had no idea there was a poundage requirement for them , I don’t read bow mags or read up on any of that stuff on the net . I was OK these will be great !

It was my lower poundage and high shot, that lead to,poor penetration, never found arrow and believe I hit a high artery which saved me .

I love cut on contact because they often don’t run off like they were kicked in the ass , I truly feel they don’t feel them , like when you cut yourself shaving and don’t know till you see the blood .

This is funny , Dr pulled a 3/4 inch “ wire “ out of my chest the other day, removing a tick ,I saw a black line in my chest , a tweezers and razor blade and I couldn’t remove it , Dr gave me a shot and dug  deep,, never knew it was in me . I guess cut on contact wire .....

So you are definetely not a sensitive guy...

Bottom line, fixed or mechanical ,you put one through the ticker and it's game over.

Agreed but often we all are “just off” so having something that can clean up our mess most times is what we look for I assume after having a good shot and the confidence in the head.
The tracking video you sent spoke about the importance of pass throughs and how mechanicals seem to have less pass through then fixed (prob due to weight of arrows and lack of strength of pop out blades). The guy even said that he didn’t care about entrance wound as much as exit I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Agreed but often we all are “just off” so having something that can clean up our mess most times is what we look for I assume after having a good shot and the confidence in the head.
The tracking video you sent spoke about the importance of pass throughs and how mechanicals seem to have less pass through then fixed (prob due to weight of arrows and lack of strength of pop out blades). The guy even said that he didn’t care about entrance wound as much as exit I think

I always just figured that mechanical took away some of the momentum, the first time I saw a pass through with the original rage ,I almost shit ,it looked like a hatchet wound .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

I haven't seen an issue with pass through on a rear deploying blade style. The style that fold back I have seen it as an issue. I use to shoot a Bow Tech black knight 2 and that bow was a screamer when it came out. I use to shoot thunderheads  and passed through out to 35 yards with ease, but was having a hell of a time tuning and getting the bow to shoot good one year so I switched to a mechanical. (a fold back style).  I shot 3 deer that year and all were under 20 yards. I never got an exit wound and they were all textbook shots. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I haven't seen an issue with pass through on a rear deploying blade style. The style that fold back I have seen it as an issue. I use to shoot a Bow Tech black knight 2 and that bow was a screamer when it came out. I use to shoot thunderheads  and passed through out to 35 yards with ease, but was having a hell of a time tuning and getting the bow to shoot good one year so I switched to a mechanical. (a fold back style).  I shot 3 deer that year and all were under 20 yards. I never got an exit wound and they were all textbook shots. 

With over the top mechanicals,  one definitely  needs the momentum for them to work. I am a 32 inch draw and always pulled around 70+ pounds, and kept my arrow weight at 430 or above. I never had a problem with pass  throughs. 

I remember the biggest doe I ever shot, she was just huge. Anyways shot her at a ranged 35 yards and the spitfire cut one rib in half on the way in and two in half on the way out. Left a huge blood trail. 

Now my wife,  she’s on the opposite end she pulls 40 lbs 25 inch draw. I have her arrows at 398 grains with 75 grain brass inserts , 100 grain 3 blade pyramid tip broad heads. And she has excellent penetration  and pass through’s 

I am not saying your wrong, far from it actually . Just pointing out as in my earlier post it’s a puzzle and when one figures  it out it all goes together nicely. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Honestly Lar, at the poundage you shoot, I would stick with COC heads.  I never had any issue with penetration. But also shot 80plus lbs.   I could see a huge cutting head being an issue shooting 60lbs or less.  

agreed, but 60 is still probably ok. lower that 60 is an area to be concerned for. Most guys who shoot 70 and up for eastern whitetails are shooting more than they need to.