Great video on tracking

Jeremy K

The only hunting show i follow is The Hunting Public , these guys have amazing whitetail killing skills . 98 percent of their hunts are done on stateland ,no food plots or setting up private property for the sole purpose of shooting deer . None of that garbage product placement in their videos either. Their guest brings up some very good information on before and after the shot. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Very true ,I've called a dog in 3x, once on bear I shot with bow, and 2x for deer, went much further than i could track with no blood. I exhaust my own skill and then call in to have every chance to recover the animal.  I stopped watching hunting shows in the 90s but no scent control is perfect ,pioneers and Indians did it that way as well.fred bear didnt spray down with scent killer.. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ATbuckhunter said:

One of the reasons im getting one of the german versitile breeds is I can train it to blood trail deer. Blood trailing a deer is a lot of fun when its easy, but man does it suck when its hard. Id also like to volunteer for deer search as well

notice in the video the tracker said it wasn't so much dependent on the breed but more the individual dog, including how they piece things together. same as people so that makes sense. i've had people spot blood i didn't but they didn't know what it meant. only that it was blood.

there was a test and article done with a K-9. they used scent control/elimination products and the dog still found them. i do think that some stuff might buy you precious second or two to make the shot count. that was also conveyed in the k-9 test. still you're getting busted and only scent control that works completely is knowing and planning on where the air is taking your scent.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

I thought it was interesting that the guy with tracking dog said he's only recovered 1 or 2 "single" lung hit deer. I've been on a few suspected single lung hit blood trails and they are a bitch. Don't think any were recovered...

any i recovered where easy but also caught the liver and diaphragm.

1 minute ago, Jeremy K said:

Ya ,i think they were doing the editing and producing for midwest 

they all started as interns but it was early enough on they got did the producing stuff. i used to watch it religiously but haven't really in a years. a lot of product placement and other stuff. mostly though it's me doing my own deer management and hunting related stuff has me too busy to make time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

notice in the video the tracker said it wasn't so much dependent on the breed but more the individual dog, including how they piece things together. same as people so that makes sense. i've had people spot blood i didn't but they didn't know what it meant. only that it was blood.

there was a test and article done with a K-9. they used scent control/elimination products and the dog still found them. i do think that some stuff might buy you precious second or two to make the shot count. that was also conveyed in the k-9 test. still you're getting busted and only scent control that works completely is knowing and planning on where the air is taking your scent.

He's definitely right, it is dependent on the individual dog. It does help to get a breed that has a higher chance of being able to track when its been bred specfically for it. Those breeds tend to have more scent recepticals than other breeds of dog. They all can probably blood trail a deer though. 

11 minutes ago, BowmanMike said:

Good video,thanks for the link. I went for lighted nocks this year so i can tell where i hit the deer. That was getting harder for me and is an important piece of info.

Both deer I shot with lighted nocks never turned on ,it was the craziest thing ,they worked flawless all summer leading up to Oct one. LOL

28 minutes ago, DanD said:

Big fan of these guys and Dan Infalt. They don't push product after product down your throat, and give you knowledge that can help the every day hunter. 

I bought a shirt and hat from them just because they don't push any products and provide so much good content.

• Like 2