My 10yr old son goin on a hunt.

Gencountyzeek

Booked a hunt for my son at finger lakes exotic game farm. Yes its a fenced hunt. Its 240 acres, you hunt from stands or blinds, no bait. He is hunting for a fallow deer doe. He asked for money for this hunt for his birthday and got enough. 

My father is coming along also, he's goin for a pig. I will be the video/photographer. 

Sooo this gave me a excuse to put together another gun. I had a upper for a ar in a wildcat round that i wasnt thrilled with. Sold that barrel and purchased a Ballistic Advantage 16" fluted barrel in 6.5 grendel. Will be putting it all together hopefully before we leave for the keys. Cant wait to see how he shoots with it.

20190717_205207.jpg

• Like 13

im not a big AR guy but i like the looks of this rig Hock3y24 I like the full barrell tube.   

Good luck and have fun Zeek!  And to think a young fella saving up to go on a hunt instead of buying an xbox or something is a great thing.  Be sure to put up some pics!  

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Gencountyzeek said:

Booked a hunt for my son at finger lakes exotic game farm. Yes its a fenced hunt. Its 240 acres, you hunt from stands or blinds, no bait.

Game farms can be a positive, one of the best ways  a young-new hunter can gain some actual field experience and get their feet wet.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

His first 7 shots at 100 yards through the rifle i put together for him. Its a 16" 6.5 grendel AR. Put a 2-7x33 leupold on it i had layin around. Ill put up a pic of the rifle when i get home. Yes i adjusted a few clicks left after he shot. We will get back out tomorrow for more.

20190730_114818.jpg

• Like 4

On 7/18/2019 at 12:35 PM, airedale said:

Game farms can be a positive, one of the best ways  a young-new hunter can gain some actual field experience and get their feet wet.

Al

and can also give a false sense of reality outside of them.

out of curiosity, what was the driver to book a fenced whitetail hunt? Pig I understand. just generally curious. 

32 minutes ago, Pigmy said:

and can also give a false sense of reality outside of them.

out of curiosity, what was the driver to book a fenced whitetail hunt? Pig I understand. just generally curious. 

Fallow deer, hes 10 so a place for him to be able to hunt that is close to home. Plus this is something he really wanted, he saved his own money from working with me and its what he asked for his birthday, cash for the hunt. I get its fenced, but its an opportunity for him to learn in the woods on his own hunt to stay focused, stay still, enjoy the surroundings. Its given more of a reason to shoot with him more. He has been coming on hunts with me for years, he knows what its like to freeze his butt off and not see a thing. I personally cant wait to see the look on his face when he walks up to his first kill and gives thanks to that animal.

• Like 5

Zeek, I have been there before. I also took my son. He got a boar and a ram.

It is a great place to start a kid off, and Mark is good people. You will love the land and the lodge. Bring fishing stuff for the pond, too.

Enjoy and be sure to post a story with pics!

• Like 1