RIP to my first Covert cam

After a few years of going through those early cheap trail cameras like Wildview and Wildgame, I started buying Coverts. MP6's and then MP8's. I have 9 of those and up until now, I've never had one fail. My oldest (either 2013 or 2014) just started acting up. Night pics are black, and the menu keys are dead.

Still taking daylight pics as expected though so it's not actually dead yet. That camera has never left the woods since the day I bought it.

Just thought I'd share, a damn good run for a sub-$100 trail camera!

• Like 3

I bought 2 covert cams from a member here ,advertised that they worked good ,if these things work good then they are the biggest POS trail cameras I have ever used . The night pics are horible the day time pics are sometimes a complete shade of purple . The switch to turn the cameras on and off takes screwing around with to turn it on. Sounds like the ones I bought were not in good working order.

Edited by Jeremy K
  • Like 1

Just now, Jeremy K said:

I bought 2 covert cams from a member here ,advertised that they worked good ,if these things work good then they are the biggest POS trail cameras I have ever used . The night pics are horible the day time pics are sometimes a complete shade of purple . The switch to turn the cameras on and off takes screwing around with to turn it on. Sounds lime the ones I bought were not in good working order.

That's surprising, mine of have been flawless. Never had the purple thing, but the night pics do suck though. Only clear when the animal is dead still. At the time I accepted that trade off just because I was thankful to not be scrapping a camera in 6 mos to a year. I've got a few Brownings that take much better night pics.

13 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

That's surprising, mine of have been flawless. Never had the purple thing, but the night pics do suck though. Only clear when the animal is dead still. At the time I accepted that trade off just because I was thankful to not be scrapping a camera in 6 mos to a year. I've got a few Brownings that take much better night pics.

Mine have clearly lived a hard life ,even the brass screw in the bottom was ripped out of one of them . Eventually I'll bring them home and give them to a forum member who has kids that would like to dabble ,that's all these are good for ,they should have never been up for sale.

1 minute ago, Fletch said:

I had 3 coverts. All a bunch of junk. I worked with the company and got replacements on 2 and they were junk too. They miss so many pictures.

MP8's? I pulled some cards the other day that have over 3500 pics on them (what a pain to sort through). They had been soaking since the end of May. I had very few empty pics, although I do seem to get more empties in this recent heat. Multi-shots work well, but like I said, the night pics have all been blurry.  

I've had many different brands and have never found any to last very long or work very reliably.  I've resigned myself to not spending more that $80 for a camera, buying them only when they're on sale, and not expecting more than a year or so of frustrating performance.

22 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Mine have clearly lived a hard life ,even the brass screw in the bottom was ripped out of one of them . Eventually I'll bring them home and give them to a forum member who has kids that would like to dabble ,that's all these are good for ,they should have never been up for sale.

Are they under warranty still from Covert? If not, sounds like a return/refund to the "forum member" would be fair.

My oldest cam still works well but pain to develop the 35 mill film.. a 1990s trail timer with camera attachment. My last cuddiebacks were on way out and I gave them away. Switched to brownings.  Love them so far. 2 years only issue I has was moisture in 2 of 12 of them and I solved that by letting sit in sun then using silicone on top seam and screwholes on back what actually was leaking idk but simple fix. 

24 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Are they under warranty still from Covert? If not, sounds like a return/refund to the "forum member" would be fair.

I was told to change the batteries that were brand new or load new firmware . The firmware seemed odd since I was told the cameras were working perfectly In the field before they were mailed to me. The last time I swapped cards ,water ran out of the camera when I opened the door. If this is considered good condition then I would hate to have ones in poor condition.

Edited by Jeremy K
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

I was told to change the batteries that were brand new or load new firmware . The firmware seemed odd since I was told the cameras were working perfectly In the field before they were mailed to me. The last time I swapped cards ,water ran out of the camera when I opened the door. If this is considered good condition then I would hate to have ones in poor condition.

These should fix your problems.

I have these, they take awesome photos and videos whether day or night vision. Best value for the money ($66 per cam). I have run 8 of these so far for a year straight, only had to change the batteries once in the spring.  IMHO, best value for the money, and so far 100% reliability.

https://www.blazevideo.net/products/blazevideo-5-pack-16mp-hd-1080p-game-trail-cameras-hunting-wildlife-deer-scouting-f2-0-lens-motion-activated-waterproof-ip66-no-glow-ir-leds-with-65ft-night-vision?utm_source=Gshopping_US&utm_medium=CSE&gclid=CjwKCAjwscDpBRBnEiwAnQ0HQBGUoxyVOce3FLr5hp2sHT6XgoMLlaRQ9EJ1-1ixapMNlXQzhsqTVxoC6SAQAvD_BwE

2 hours ago, Steuben Jerry said:

MP8's? I pulled some cards the other day that have over 3500 pics on them (what a pain to sort through). They had been soaking since the end of May. I had very few empty pics, although I do seem to get more empties in this recent heat. Multi-shots work well, but like I said, the night pics have all been blurry.  

I think 2 6's and an 8. 

Never Tried covert yet. I have the old cuddeback captures from maybe 2004/5 ish??  they still work great. I also have the first digital cam that stealth cam ever made that still works. 1.3mp. I believe this was a 2002 model? I cant remember.. OTher than that.. The only solid cams i can vouch for anymore are Browning cams.. they are bullet proof. I'Ve owned many others in the last decade or so and there all garbage compared to a browning..  

• Like 1

I have 2 Coverts and both suck. Unreliable, missed photo's (tested), and night pics suck unless the critters are standing perfectly motionless! I put them in spots that I consider "high risk" for cam theft. So far, no takers!! I guess even cam thieves know of Coverts reputation... :pardon:

• Haha 1