Savage 17 hmr

Dont have one . 

A guy at work bought a 17 hmr  left handed  thumbhole  stock bolt action probably  10 years ago. I dont think he shot alot . Not sure if its stainless.   It has a composite  stock .

I jokingly  told him if he decided to sell it I would be interested. Well he has fallen on some hard times and has offered it to me . I dont know what a fair price is and dont want to take advantage of his misfortune.  What do you guys think would be fair for a good condition no scope gun ? As I recall he gave around  $300 for it  10 years ago . New it can be had for $375.

• Like 1

It will be a shooter for sure....Head shots only on squirrels for sure or you will blow the s**t out of them...

Great for varmints up to the size of foxes, and I do not expect a coyote would go far with a lung shot...

• Like 5

I have a .17 HMR with a basic plastic stock and accutrigger. I bought it when they first came out, so maybe almost twenty years old? The ammo has gotten a lot better since then, but that thing has been a tack-driver from day one. I don't think you'd be hurt offering the guy the $300 he paid for it. Especially if you're trying to help the guy out. JMO. Wear ear protection!! The crack of that little rice grain will rattle your brain.

• Like 2

Give him a fair price... and ask if he'll throw in any ammo he has for it.  If hes selling the gun, he shouldn't have a need for it.  

Iv got the Savage A17 and its probably my favorite gun to shoot.

Edited by johnplav
  • Like 1

I've killed dozens of woodchucks with mine out to about 150 yards. When you walk up to them you don't even think they're dead. No visible wounds. Pick them up and it's like a plastic bag full of jello. Like Pygmy said, head shots only on squirrels. Otherwise there won't be anything to take home. Devastating little round.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, doebuck1234 said:

Solid looking gun,love the stock too!!

It is a pretty rifle...I like laminates..They are wood....I have a laminate M70 Win  that I bought for $289  in 1988... It has suffered tremendous abuse  in several remote wilderness hunts, and it  is still pretty....If you could see it, you would not believe what it has been through...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pygmy said:

It is a pretty rifle...I like laminates..They are wood....I have a laminate M70 Win  that I bought for $289  in 1988... It has suffered tremendous abuse  in several remote wilderness hunts, and it  is still pretty....If you could see it, you would not believe what it has been through...

I have had one laminate stock . A traditions  muzzloader  back in the 90s. Loved that gun . Made the mistake of not checking powder measure.  Apparently moved 20 grain.  Not sure how many rounds of triple 7   I shot before accuracy  went bad . Found the  material between the lug and the trigger  broke out of the stock .:sorry:  I do know those big heavey plainsbullets where were thumping me pretty good .

Picked up rifle  today . Pretty gun . Never shot a thumbhole gun before. Seems a little  awkward  .  Stopped off  at my property on the way home ...  Had to shoot it . Set up a piece of scrap wood . Didn't have a long range area set up to shoot . Grass is waist  high.  Shot 30 yards  off hand . I have to spend some time adjusting the scope focus and leveling the crosshairs  but it shot ok .

20190802_154445.jpg

• Like 1