M1 Carbine Woodchuck Hunting

Rattler

I haven't really used it for chucks before, but as a chuck stalking piece, it's turning out to be fun rifle.  It's light and very accurate with the peep sight.  It's dead on at 50 yards, so I'm keeping the shots within that distance.  Feels like deer hunting wearing sunblock and a camo T-shirt.  ;)

Edited by Rattler
  • Like 2

I have soft point and FMJ ammo to use for chucks.  I tried the FMJ rounds and found they kill the chuck without tearing it up.  Just have to make sure the animal has a backstop behind it to prevent the bullet from traveling any further than the chuck itself.  Here on Delaware County farms, there are very few structures to worry about anyway.  The FMJ ammo is brass cased, but Berdan primed, so it can't be reloaded.  It's not suitable for deer hunting, but it works well on chucks.  I've got plenty of it to use too.  It's target ammo, and chucks make a good target.

I'm really enjoying this walking varmint hunting.  It's good exercise, I get plenty of sun and I can travel light.  Other than a canteen with water and a Cliff Bar for a snack, I don't need much else to spend a couple hours in the morning or evening hunting them.  Thought about taking the binocs along, but I would probably be using them to look at everything else other than chucks.  One or two chucks taken per hunt is about par for the course.  It really keeps the deer hunting skills sharp, as it takes the same stalking skills to be successful.  I wish I had started doing it years ago.

• Like 2

Hunting Chucks will provide many different hunting scenarios and can definitely refine one's hunting skills, they are sharp eyed and wary. Spot and stalk with handguns, rimfire rifles and archery equipment is not easy, it is a lot of fun and rewarding as is long range shooting with a precision varmint rifle. I have spent many many hours doing just that and it is one of my very favorite ways to enjoy a day afield.

Al

• Like 2

I've hunted chucks at long range with a bolt action Remington 700 in .223,  as well as a .30-06 with 55 grain Accelerators and an old .222 target rifle.  But I find sitting at a bench waiting for one to appear has lots of down time and tends to get boring.  I like this stalking game.  Time goes by faster and the action is more intense.  I also find the shooting skill required of the hunter to be more demanding, since you are not shooting from a steady position and need to get much closer.  Plus, I'm using a peep sight on the rifle.  It adds up to some good memories.

• Like 2

Never used a bench for chuck hunting myself, for me personally I find it still takes quite a bit of skill to knock off a chuck at 300 to 500 yards in a sitting position shooting off my knees or laying on my stomach and using a bipod.

Al

Edited by airedale

• 11 months later...

Question : I have an old M1 Carbine - inherited from my Brother (RIP Bro)- And I also have several different clips for it , a small clip a 20 round clip and a 30 round clip . I realize if I took it hunting there can be no more than 7 rounds in a clip ( safe act ?) but if I'm just target shooting and for the heck of it want to " Bump " it can I load up any clip and go for it ... Legally ?

32 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

but if I'm just target shooting and for the heck of it want to " Bump " it can I load up any clip and go for it ... Legally ?

I could care less but if you absolutely want to be legal:

Magazines

Q: How does the SAFE Act impact magazines?

A: Since 1994, magazines sold in New York could contain up to 10 rounds. This continues to be true today. You may buy, sell, and possess any magazine that can hold up to 10 rounds, regardless of when it was manufactured. If you have a magazine that can contain more than 10 rounds, you had until January 15, 2014 to permanently modify the magazine so that it holds no more than ten rounds, responsibly discard it, transfer it to a law enforcement agency or officer, or sell it to a dealer or an out of state purchaser.

Q: Can I continue to buy 10 round magazines?

A: Yes, the SAFE Act does not affect your ability to continue to buy 10 round magazines.

Q: Is there anything else I should be aware of?

A: Hunters should remember that for many years there have been round limitations when it comes to guns used during hunting. In New York you may not hunt with a semi-automatic gun that can contain more than 6 rounds unless it uses .22 or .17 caliber rimfire ammunition, is an autoloading pistol with a barrel length of less than eight inches, or has been altered to reduce its capacity to no more than 6 rounds in the magazine and chamber combined.

https://safeact.ny.gov/resources-gun-owners

Edited by Steve D
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Steve D said:

I could care less but if you absolutely want to be legal:

Magazines

Q: How does the SAFE Act impact magazines?

A: Since 1994, magazines sold in New York could contain up to 10 rounds. This continues to be true today. You may buy, sell, and possess any magazine that can hold up to 10 rounds, regardless of when it was manufactured. If you have a magazine that can contain more than 10 rounds, you had until January 15, 2014 to permanently modify the magazine so that it holds no more than ten rounds, responsibly discard it, transfer it to a law enforcement agency or officer, or sell it to a dealer or an out of state purchaser.

Q: Can I continue to buy 10 round magazines?

A: Yes, the SAFE Act does not affect your ability to continue to buy 10 round magazines.

Q: Is there anything else I should be aware of?

A: Hunters should remember that for many years there have been round limitations when it comes to guns used during hunting. In New York you may not hunt with a semi-automatic gun that can contain more than 6 rounds unless it uses .22 or .17 caliber rimfire ammunition, is an autoloading pistol with a barrel length of less than eight inches, or has been altered to reduce its capacity to no more than 6 rounds in the magazine and chamber combined.

https://safeact.ny.gov/resources-gun-owners

Couldn't have asked for a better answer !  Thank You !

9 hours ago, Rattler said:

5 round mags for the M1 carbine can be purchased from many places.  I even find them at gun shows.

I'll have to pick up a couple but I admit it sounds like no fun at all , I wanted to bump out 20-30 rounds just for the heck of it !  LOL