Lab Results for Food plot soil

Local co-op said the soil pH was 6.6, but the extended lab results said the following :

LABORATORY RESULTS 

Soil pH: 5.6 (Low)

Phosphorus (P): 2 lbs/Acre (Very Low)

Potassium (K): 137 lbs/Acre (Medium)

Organic Matter: 5.9 %

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Phosphorous is key to antler growth isn't it?  Anything I can do about that? Here's the recommendation on what to add to bring everything up to normal :

Soil pH Adjustment Soil pH is low. Apply 16 pounds of lime per 100 square feet and be sure to incorporate the lime into the upper 6" of soil.

- My uncle said it would take about 1000 lbs of lime to do this 1/2 acre plot, since he's a retired, successful farmer I'll probably just go with that.

Phosphorus (P) Soil P level is very low. Broadcast about 6.0 ounces of phosphate (P2O5) per 100 square feet prior to planting and work into the upper 2-4" of soil.

-What would I use, and in what amount, to cover about 1/2 an acre?  I'm in the dark on this one.  Is there a generic fertlizer that would contain the phosphate necessary?

Any advice is appreciated!

894032352_RomperRoomPlans2019.thumb.jpg.a5c77bdb0f00e77143ade4132ff49e07.jpg

Bottom is this year, top will be next year.  In between is all scrub.  Lots and lots of rubs in that scrubby stuff.  That hedge row to the north has about 14 apple trees in it too.  Flying Outhouse is what my wife is calling the raised blind I'm building.  We brush hogged some trails in that scrub last year, going to add one around the perimeter this year.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

894032352_RomperRoomPlans2019.thumb.jpg.a5c77bdb0f00e77143ade4132ff49e07.jpg

Bottom is this year, top will be next year.  In between is all scrub.  Lots and lots of rubs in that scrubby stuff.  That hedge row to the north has about 14 apple trees in it too.  Flying Outhouse is what my wife is calling the raised blind I'm building.  We brush hogged some trails in that scrub last year, going to add one around the perimeter this year.

Awesome stand nickname!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Antler King sells two products plot max to raise ph and Jolt which is a liquid fertilizer. Both have worked for me, you can also buy smaller amounts of plot max but the link will allow you to read about it. Last but not least it can be added with glysophate if you have to spray an area.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/antler-king-gallon-plot-max-25-gallon-jug?a=761059

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/antler-king-jolt-foliar-fertilizer?a=2170472

• Thanks 1

Upstate, was that a Whitetial institute soil test by any chance ? The 1000 lbs lime on the 1/2 acre will work, but go a little heavier if you can. Since you are liming late ( usually needs at least 2 months to work well) go with the Plot Max for sure.  100+ lbs of triple 19 Fertilizer should take care of the P & K.  Not sure what your planting but might be best this year to go with something that will do well in lower PH soil. Best of Luck!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Glen said:

Upstate, was that a Whitetial institute soil test by any chance ? The 1000 lbs lime on the 1/2 acre will work, but go a little heavier if you can. Since you are liming late ( usually needs at least 2 months to work well) go with the Plot Max for sure.  100+ lbs of triple 19 Fertilizer should take care of the P & K.  Not sure what your planting but might be best this year to go with something that will do well in lower PH soil. Best of Luck!

No, Cornell co-op.  I called the local place and they said pretty much the same thing.  Figuring this year, since I'm coming into it late, probably plant winter rye / wheat in late August / early September.  Did get a disc harrow bought and moved up there today though!  One of the gangs needs to be rebuilt.

You might be able to plant brassica blends,  oats and winter peas the first week of August, they would be able to handle a more acidic soil. I have a brand new plot as well and I will be trying the Antler King Slam Dunk and WI Winter Peas Plus. Those should help build and improve soil for next years planting as well. You may want to check them out.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

Anybody have a recommendation for winter rye or wheat made by WI or somebody that's particularly tasty for deer?  Or should I just stop at the local feed store?

I really couldn't find any close by and its too expensive to ship due to weight.  Good luck.  If the local feed store has it, I would grab that.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Otto!  Yeah I was going to do winter wheat and rye, and maybe put a stripe of whitetail institute winter greens down the middle just to see how they do.  

Thinking about doing a tiny little plot on the other side of the new blind, right in the middle of the 10 foot brush, but don't know what I'd put in there.  Maybe next year.

Edited by UpStateRedNeck

Upstate - whatever you decide to plant, you can check the recommended seed depth.  For those seeds that are 1' or less (brassicas, clovers, rye, wheat) you can just spread or spread and run over them if you prefer.  I did a light drag with a flat piece of metal over brassicas and beans and it turned out great.   But I suspect even without the drag, they would have taken off.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...