Identification help part 2....

G-Man

What do you call this color phase?? IMG_0056.thumb.JPG.69a7cfe110a36c9361168d6b69cbf4a1.JPGloopIMG_0065.thumb.JPG.907f01242ca2c97c8a9de569020bf2fd.JPGfor those that want to judge size..lowest limb on tree is 5ft. ..  and I think its inspecting the chestnuts!!
IMG_0058.thumb.JPG.3d2f92c2d7e1a3a674888537bff3cff8.JPG

Wow. What a sweet bear for NY. I dream about a color phase bear. Too dark for “blonde”, too light for “chocolate”, and not red enough for “cinnamon”. I’d say it’s light chocolate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Just now, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Wow. What a sweet bear for NY. I dream about a color phase bear. Too dark for “blonde”, too light for “chocolate”, and not red enough for “cinnamon”. I’d say it’s light chocolate?

I think dirty blonde may work as well.. its name is now Honey....

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Idk no one sat there last year at all.. problem with 36 stands and 8 guys..

That bear is worth a little stand time there for sure. Good luck hope one of you guys get him. Maybe one of the young fellas you take out hunting. Cool bear. Hope to see a pic of him with one of your happy hunters. 

16 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

They don't call it a "starting 9" for nothing. I know a guy who can sit that stand!

Actually that's 3rd bear on camera 2nd in that spot this year. Make the drive there is room. You have a truck to haul it now...lol

8 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Actually that's 3rd bear on camera 2nd in that spot this year. Make the drive there is room. You have a truck to haul it now...lol

If I shot a color phase bear in NY, the excitement/adrenaline would easily be enough for me to carry it back 300 miles on my own back on foot

• Like 4

Awesome bear n pics.   I dated some dirty blondes but have no pics : (   

Was she inspecting the chestnuts too?
Sweet bear and pics.
Will you target and activate hunt it (I have zero experience as to what that means in NY) or hope for opportunity while deer hunting?

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

Was she inspecting the chestnuts too?
Sweet bear and pics.
Will you target and activate hunt it (I have zero experience as to what that means in NY) or hope for opportunity while deer hunting?

If I can get some kind of pattern established with trailcams I'll sit when chances are better. But I'm just happy to of got it on camera.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, kpkot said:

I used to plant for american chestnut foundation usually around zoar valley. that's awesome what a brute of a tree

My largest.made it to 14 in .it is now boards being converted into a bar top in my friends mancave. I have over 50 growing on property 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, G-Man said:

My largest.made it to 14 in .it is now boards being converted into a bar top in my friends mancave. I have over 50 growing on property 

very nice I only have a couple but doing good

So direct.from.dec ....

Greg,

Awesome photos! The most common vernacular for this color phase of a black bear is “cinnamon bear”. Polymorphism is the biological term for this. In the west, a larger majority of the black bear population has the brown color phase. However, it might be more beneficial to be black when roaming the dark shadowy forests of the northeast. You can see the same phenomenon quite regularly in grey squirrels (black squirrels).

Let me know if you have any more questions. What a magnificent animal. Looks like a good hunting spot (I can see your ladder stand in the background).

Regards,

Ryan D. Rockefeller

Wildlife Biologist 1 – Big Game

• Like 12

So direct.from.dec ....
Greg,

Awesome photos! The most common vernacular for this color phase of a black bear is “cinnamon bear”. Polymorphism is the biological term for this. In the west, a larger majority of the black bear population has the brown color phase. However, it might be more beneficial to be black when roaming the dark shadowy forests of the northeast. You can see the same phenomenon quite regularly in grey squirrels (black squirrels).

Let me know if you have any more questions. What a magnificent animal. Looks like a good hunting spot (I can see your ladder stand in the background).

Regards,

Ryan D. Rockefeller
Wildlife Biologist 1 – Big Game

Cool that you received a response from someone in the business. But the grey/black squirrel comment confused me. Is he saying that black is a color phase of a grey squirrel?

I always thought (based on urban legends of course) that black squirrels were relatively unique to areas by NYC and rare in the woods beyond. The story I always heard was about squirrels either escaped the zoo or Ringling Brother Circus many many moons ago.

Just now, crappyice said:

Cool that you received a response from someone in the business. But the grey/black squirrel comment confused me. Is he saying that black is a color phase of a grey squirrel?

I always thought (based on urban legends of course) that black squirrels were relatively unique to areas by NYC and rare in the woods beyond. The story I always heard was about squirrels either escaped the zoo or Ringling Brother Circus many many moons ago.

Yes black is just a variation of the grey squirrel. I have many at my place ,I only allow someone to shoot one if they are gonna mount it.. plenty of normal grey to eat...

• Like 1