Scouting and cameras.

Iluvracks1359

So when do you guys start your pre season scouting, setting out cameras etc.?? In the previous years I've always set.my.cams.out on July 4th weekend, but that's a long time, and I've learned all you are doing at that point is maybe inventory and not much more. However, since I do like to see them grow a bit, I am thinking I want to have them out by august 1.. or at least that first weekend of august. Honestly was gunna go this weekend but I would rather not go out in this intense heat.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My cameras have never been taken out of the woods since the day they were mounted. Some are over 5 years old.

I'll move a few around in September/October and leave them in their new spots until next spring. The following March or April can be a bit of a challenge to remember where I put them!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Mine go out this weekend. I wait til horns are formed. No sense in shortening the life span of the camera for doe pics.  Unless I am scouting new dirt. 

I hate doe pics. I delete them immediately!

7 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I hate doe pics. I delete them immediately!

Where I hunt I know there are plenty of does so don't need a bunch of doe pics, but new dirt for sure like to see how many deer and where they travel. If I had bears around might leave them out to get pics of those.  But in the summer I will get 1000 pics of tractors on the fields tilling or planting or cutting. 

Plus the time I leave them out I can still get a good idea of the doe population

Edited by Robhuntandfish