Which headlamp?

Jeremy K

How are some of you guys losing/leaving stuff in the woods? carry-in / carry-out, i've never forgot anything. everything goes in bookbag or pockets

Well my guess is that these guys are quite successful on their hunts so their hands are too full of other things(horns, feathers, does,) and less important things(lights, knives, backpacks, bows- don’t need it anymore today!) are left behind!
In other words, YOU NEED TO SHOOT MORE GAME and see if you remember everything!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well my guess is that these guys are quite successful on their hunts so their hands are too full of other things(horns, feathers, does,) and less important things(lights, knives, backpacks, bows- don’t need it anymore today!) are left behind!
In other words, YOU NEED TO SHOOT MORE GAME and see if you remember everything!!!!!

After the shot, I pack all my stuff, then recover and gut. Repack. Drag out

• Like 1

FWIW I have a couple.....most in the $25-50 range.

Black Diamond Storm; lots of settings, with spot and flood white, red,blue,green.....all can strobe and be dimmed. Does OK on 4 aaa batteries. Best in the woods light I have if you want some distance, can do anything I'd ask of it for the price. Has been soaked and frozen and still runs perfect. Elastic band needs to be tightened every so often if I had to pick a downside.

Petzl Tikka; white, red. 3 aaa batteries last forever. Good around camp, super light weight and easy to use.

Petzl Tactikka.....a few more functions then Tikka adding blue light and USB charging. I use this at work and is in my toolbox. Has taken a pounding and still works. Good on a plane travelling at night to read with. I like Petzls' USB battery system.

Also have a Petzl e+lite.....which is a minimalist basic light for a emergency survival type kit/ back up. I have actually used this quite a bit backpacking as a simple tent light to conserve batteries in primary head lamp. Its tiny tiny tiny and weighs nothing even with spare wafer batteries.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

I hang my headlamp when i get to the tree ,if i leave before it gets dark out ,i just forget to grab it . 

Good thread as i need to upgrade from my clip on hat light(works good enough for me)!!it goes right in my coat pocket when i get in stand or i will forget!!

You plan on Yote hunting at night.  Bite the bullet and buy the wicked lights package.   The headlamp has all three colors, can be dimmed and focused, and the white is perfect for tracking.   
Typical Moog response. Go big or go home (or both )

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

if you haven't left a quiver, binos or call hanging in the tree, you haven't hunted long enough. I guess to your defense biz, i know you're a ground hunter so maybe it's less common, but I cant believe you haven't set a water bottle or something down, had some shit hit the fan and forgot it.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Pigmy said:

if you haven't left a quiver, binos or call hanging in the tree, you haven't hunted long enough. I guess to your defense biz, i know you're a ground hunter so maybe it's less common, but I cant believe you haven't set a water bottle or something down, had some shit hit the fan and forgot it.

I would actually think sitting in a treestand would be less likely to forget something.You pack everything you brought and head home. Even Out west spot & stalk hunting where you drop your stuff and try to get a little closer, you still go back to that pile of stuff to retrieve it. My binos are always around my neck and quiver goes in bookbag at end of day. Need to put hunting arrow into quiver before leaving woods, so not sure how anyone can forget their quiver in woods?

41 minutes ago, Pigmy said:

i haven't left any of that. i have however left my entire climbing stand still attached to the tree after shooting a buck. had to go back and get it once i realized when loading everything into the truck including the deer.

my brother left the chair he was sitting on, in the very center of Darien Lake state park. he explained about where it was and somehow i found it when i went back. he's left a ton of stuff. i'm a little more of a slave to my own process.

i use a Princeton Tech Vizz. it has partial brightness and full on in "white" and then a red setting.  Deer see detail really well when in shades of green, blue, and yellow. Red not well. so i figured red and white is good enough. a good "white" LED that's around 4500 kelvin temp with a CRI of over 80 is great for making red blood pop with color when tracking. manufacturers don't list those specs but they should.

17 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

i haven't left any of that. i have however left my entire climbing stand still attached to the tree after shooting a buck. had to go back and get it once i realized when loading everything into the truck including the deer.

my brother left the chair he was sitting on, in the very center of Darien Lake state park. he explained about where it was and somehow i found it when i went back. he's left a ton of stuff. i'm a little more of a slave to my own process.

worst I've left is a grunt tube. I agree that some are more prone than others and I'm not one, but we're all human and things happen. I've also left a turkey diaphragm call on the ground next to where I was sitting and accidentally lost a few things of course.

there's a cool story about guys who came upon a somewhat recent moose gutout in alaska that had heavy bear and critter trails going to it. The pile was licked clean and there was a shiny, almost new looking leatherman let in the middle of the grass. You can imagine the hunter loses it in the pile and then it's revealed later after the scavengers clean up the mess. 

18 hours ago, Nytracker said:

I love guys that leave there knives next to gut piles ...

Years ago , my SIL's boyfriend lost his Buck knife . The next day I took my Metal Detector with me and found the knife in the gut pile . He was grateful as his Dad had given it to him . 

• Like 1

How about a four wheeler?

A couple of years ago, wifey and I went out for the afternoon sit, and feeling kind of lazy, took the quad halfway back and parked next to our tower stand. I sat in that stand as I pretty much only had a doe tag left that I wasn't in a hurry to fill yet. She went on foot about another half mile to sit in that year's high percentage stand. About an hour after she gets settled, I was fooling around with a video camera and I hear a shot from her. Gets on the radio and tells me she just dropped her best buck by far. I was so stoked for her I came down the ladder like a fireman and started jogging toward the back property line to meet her. Got about 75% of the way there (winded as hell) and realized where the ATV was and thought "why the $%@*& didn't I take that?!"

So she stayed with the deer after we dressed it out and took pics. I walked back to the ATV. Took that back to the house, got the tractor, went back for the deer to give it a bucket ride, and took that back to the house. I had two vehicles out there, and she still had to walk back to the house!!

Sorry for the thread derail!

Edited by Steuben Jerry
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I would actually think sitting in a treestand would be less likely to forget something.You pack everything you brought and head home. Even Out west spot & stalk hunting where you drop your stuff and try to get a little closer, you still go back to that pile of stuff to retrieve it. My binos are always around my neck and quiver goes in bookbag at end of day. Need to put hunting arrow into quiver before leaving woods, so not sure how anyone can forget their quiver in woods?

If I had a nickel for everytime I forgot to put my quiver back in my bookbag Id be a very wealthy man

15 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

If I had a nickel for everytime I forgot to put my quiver back in my bookbag Id be a very wealthy man

Where do you put your hunting arrow when you call it quits at night?

I could just die when I see that bottom wheel on stone

It sits on a hardwood floor 365 days a year like that.

Sometimes for a picture you gotta make sacrifices. Now if Jeremy K could make my invention, I’d be ecstatic. That same bow stand with a foot pedal release! This way I can use when hunting and simply press release with foot before raising bow to draw/shoot. Instead I’m always stuck laying it next to me or holding it.

• Like 1