2019 Field to fork Program

It is hard to believe it was a year ago that we started the program with our 2018 group but it was. I opened registration and believe we are going to be at capacity on participants. We picked up a few extra mentors so we are going to try this with a class size of 8. (had 5 last year). 

I am going to keep this post like I did last year where we show how the group progresses through the program and I have my fingers crossed we can duplicate the success. Depending on the response from those on the waiting list we may have a few spots open so if anyone know of a person in the Rochester area that would be interested in this program, I am including the detail of this year below, along with the forms. 

This program is for adults over 18 years old that are interested in learning to hunt and provide a sustainable food source for them and/or their families. It is for those that have not held a hunting license or hunted before. 

There is a $50  refundable deposit required to participate in the program. Participants  that take part in both class room sessions, the range training, the NY State hunter Safety course, participate in mentored hunt(s) and attend the end of the program culinary social will receive their deposit back. Interest in this program is high and we just want to assure than people taking a spot will complete the program.  Other than travel, the other costs for the program are covered by the branch. We even have some tasty venison dishes to try during the programs. 

I am attaching the Program information form that includes the important dates for the sessions. Please review them prior to registering. There are 8 people on the current waiting list and the program is going to be advertised in local town's adult program fliers. We will be capping this year's program at 8 individuals. The first 8 to complete the registration form (Email it to me) and mail the deposit in will secure the positions.

f2frochester registration form.jpg

2019 f2frochester Program details.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Bob, for putting on this wonderful program again this year. This was one of the best threads on here, and it was really cool to follow along. With both the students as they progressed and the mentors. The smiles at the end, says it all. 

I can't think of a better way to bring new hunters, both male and female into our ranks. The dedication of the mentors in this program is truly commendable. As the time and effort put in to this is monumental. Any student signing up for this, will have the full benefit of decades of experience, to help them reach their goal, and cut the learning curve way down.

There should be more of this!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, grampy said:

Thanks Bob, for putting on this wonderful program again this year. This was one of the best threads on here, and it was really cool to follow along. With both the students as they progressed and the mentors. The smiles at the end, says it all. 

I can't think of a better way to bring new hunters, both male and female into our ranks. The dedication of the mentors in this program is truly commendable. As the time and effort put in to this is monumental. Any student signing up for this, will have the full benefit of decades of experience, to help them reach their goal, and cut the learning curve way down.

Thank you. I am happy to say that the Upper Hudson branch IS doing the program this year as well. I am not sure of their capacity for participants but I am glad it is spreading in NY. 

• Like 1

One thing I could use the Forum's help with. Last year we instructed the participants on how to process their own deer. We held a class using my Crossbow buck but then did it with them on all the deer they shot. That was a really big endeavor and not something I think I can get support to repeat this year, especially with more participants. We still want to hold class but does anyone have an in with a processor in the Rochester area that we might be able to get a price break on processing one deer for each participant?

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like we have our 8 participants this year. The first class room instruction is next Wednesday the 21st  followed by a combination class and range day on Saturday the 24th of August. 

Different than last year there are more males than females and the age range is from 19-50. I'll be posting throughout the program and we have picked up an additional 4 mentors since last year. Moog actually will be mentoring this year so my public shaming did work. Who said peer pressure is a bad thing...lol. Honestly I am glad to have him involved (Thank you Brian) and the other 3 we picked up are wonderful folks with a ton of hunting experience too. 

Word is spreading. Keep an eye on this thread for updates along the way. 

• Like 3

On 7/22/2019 at 10:07 AM, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Thank you. I am happy to say that the Upper Hudson branch IS doing the program this year as well. I am not sure of their capacity for participants but I am glad it is spreading in NY. 

On 7/22/2019 at 10:04 AM, grampy said:

we got off the a slow start from last year but we're going through in the same capacity as the Rochester branch, assuming we can recruit that many participants. I'll post up in this thread as details come to fruition.  game plan is in place.
Where we'll be for sign ups and to discuss the program:

Warrensburg Farmer's Market - August 16th (this Friday)

Saratoga Farmer's Market - August 28th, Sept 25th, and Sept 28th.

you can otherwise contact me (Dan) at [email protected] or PM me on here.  Also can contact Matt Ross at [email protected]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First class is tonight, followed buy another class and range day on Saturday.  Final class size of 8. 

Snacks for tonight, venison bologna, venison pepperoni, venison sausage with cheese and jalapenos. Served with  cheese, crackers and fruit. 

Venison Hotdogs on Saturday.

If they don't learn anything, they will at least eat well...lol

• Like 7

On 7/22/2019 at 12:50 PM, Culvercreek hunt club said:

One thing I could use the Forum's help with. Last year we instructed the participants on how to process their own deer. We held a class using my Crossbow buck but then did it with them on all the deer they shot. That was a really big endeavor and not something I think I can get support to repeat this year, especially with more participants. We still want to hold class but does anyone have an in with a processor in the Rochester area that we might be able to get a price break on processing one deer for each participant?

Message sent.its a go!

• Like 1

Saturday was our Range day and second class of Whitetail 101. The participants did a great job at the range. Very safety aware, took all the instruction very well and shot some really great groups.  You will notice the participants all sporting nice new hearing protection and shooting glasses. That is all compliments or Steve863 on this forum. He supported the branch last year and did this year as well. He shared in the celebration of Ryan's deer last year at camp and I am very lucky to be able to call him a friend. I also would like to thank all the mentors that were able to take part in this day's instruction, especially Moog. Thank you Brian. I am glad you were willing to mentor this year. It is very rewarding my friend. There are others, but I did not ask to name them on the internet so I will just leave it as thank you to all of them. 

We started out with a safety talk and some basic firearms instruction and then proceeded to work our way up through calibers to gauge their sensitivity to the guns, noise and recoil. Started out with 22LR, 22 Mag, 223, 243, 308, 20 ga, 30-06, 12 Gauge.  Our ladies made it all the way through the 308 and 20 gauge and we had the guys all shoot all thee way through the ought6 and 12 ga. On the 50 yard targets, I am happy to say they put all, but a few fliers, into 2" rings. Many of them shot much tighter groups than that. From a typical seated and rested position that we will be using in most of the hunts I am confident they  will do their part if we can get a deer in front of them. 

We grilled up some venison hotdogs  (secret Culver Creek recipe) and had some salads to take the edge off while we got through the second class. 

It was a great weather day and I think everyone really enjoyed themselves. Participants and mentors. 

Next stop is the NY Hunter's safety course on September 14, with a little more shooting.  I think I am going to show them the importance of a good rest buy having them do a little short range off hand shooting. 

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.1.JPG

4.5.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

11.JPG

12.JPG

• Like 9

Honestly kudos to you Bob.  You take a lot of time out of your schedule to run this program on a volunteer basis.  And you certainly are an excellent teacher.  Way to give back!  And it was awesome of Steve to provide the hearing and eye protection!  The participants were so excited.  Cool to see for sure!  The homemade venison hotdogs were darn good too!

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 4

Saratoga Farmer's Market - August 28th, Sept 25th, and Sept 28th.  If you know of anyone or see them trolling the sporting goods section with a look of befuddlement let them know. tell them i'll pay for them to take up hunting. seriously we're paying.  hoping for better luck and less camo hats raiding the venison dishes this weekend. it's saratoga so we're hopeful for a good mix of people.

• Like 1

Saratoga Farmer's Market - August 28th, Sept 25th, and Sept 28th.  If you know of anyone or see them trolling the sporting goods section with a look of befuddlement let them know. tell them i'll pay for them to take up hunting. seriously we're paying.  hoping for better luck and less camo hats raiding the venison dishes this weekend. it's saratoga so we're hopeful for a good mix of people.

Any takers so far?

10 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

It was a great weather day and I think everyone really enjoyed themselves. Participants and mentors

Great job and it nice to see a few women getting involved.. It would be nice to have them when it comes time to vote.

Great job and it nice to see a few women getting involved.. It would be nice to have them when it comes time to vote.

I told them I was only making one pitch that was political. I explained the truth about firearms and calibers. Showed them the round typically used for evil and then the rounds for deer. Then explained and showed the different actions. Luckily a guy can to the range that had an AR. They didn’t see how it worked any different than a few we had there. One asked “why would they report something so untrue”. I said it’s all playing on emotion working towards an end
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I told them I was only making one pitch that was political. I explained the truth about firearms and calibers. Showed them the round typically used for evil and then the rounds for deer. Then explained and showed the different actions. Luckily a guy can to the range that had an AR. They didn’t see how it worked any different than a few we had there. One asked “why would they report something so untrue”. I said it’s all playing on emotion working towards an end
Great job taking the time to inform and educate the masses of non gun users

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1