2019 Field to fork Program

On 8/26/2019 at 8:15 PM, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Any takers so far?

a few prior to the weekend. i'm hoping we picked up more when i get an update. i was working a setup to plug QDM in general that we had at a local fair. hope we can get this first one under our belt and buzz of it helps recruiting for the next season.

Edited by dbHunterNY
glitch and odd key strokes
  • Like 1

update for Upper Hudson River Valley branch's Field to Fork program:

we've got 8 new hunters that applied with two more farmers market appearances to go. myself and others made ourselves available as mentors but we might end up being short mentors to take them. classes and events will be in Ballston spa area.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2019 at 5:29 PM, dbHunterNY said:

update for Upper Hudson River Valley branch's Field to Fork program:

we've got 8 new hunters that applied with two more farmers market appearances to go. myself and others made ourselves available as mentors but we might end up being short mentors to take them. classes and events will be in Ballston spa area.

Glad to see you guys had success at the markets. Start a waiting list for next year with any you can't get in. ours filled up 1/2 way with last years waiting list.  How many mentors do you have lined up? I don't know how good the properties you have to take them on are but boy over 8 could be a big commitment. We had 2 folks last year that took us 4 and 5 hunts to get them a deer and that was in High population areas. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Glad to see you guys had success at the markets. Start a waiting list for next year with any you can't get in. ours filled up 1/2 way with last years waiting list.  How many mentors do you have lined up? I don't know how good the properties you have to take them on are but boy over 8 could be a big commitment. We had 2 folks last year that took us 4 and 5 hunts to get them a deer and that was in High population areas. 

yea that's what we're doing. we've got 7 mentors right now and 8 soon to be new hunters. survey got sent out. despite it's more or less first come first serve priority, previously scheduled farmers markets are still happening. we'll just make a waiting list. i'm hoping for the best. we're likely blind folding them and bringing them to managed QDM Co-op properties to up the ante a bit. lol at least i will be. i just hope one of them doesn't dump a slammer the first time out and have unrealistic expectations.

On 9/11/2019 at 11:12 AM, dbHunterNY said:

yea that's what we're doing. we've got 7 mentors right now and 8 soon to be new hunters. survey got sent out. despite it's more or less first come first serve priority, previously scheduled farmers markets are still happening. we'll just make a waiting list. i'm hoping for the best. we're likely blind folding them and bringing them to managed QDM Co-op properties to up the ante a bit. lol at least i will be. i just hope one of them doesn't dump a slammer the first time out and have unrealistic expectations.

Last year Ryan shot the biggest buck that has been taken on our place. I had my hand on his shoulder while he aimed. I thought about pushing hem out to the way since my gun was in my hand...lol. Just kidding, I was happier than if I had taken it myself. For me, seeing that "rush" in them and feeling proud that I helped is what it was all about. I told Matt that I'd send all the presentations ans stuff we modified and used if you guys want. I know National hasn't gotten to set up a "complete package" to just hand over to the branches. 

• Like 1

Tomorrow is our Hunter's Safety course. One of our volunteers has opened their camp for us to do it there. We'll have the class, enjoy some venison chili I am making and have a chance to actually walk the property to see deer sign, get them into different style stands and enjoy some fresh air. (maybe not so fresh after the chili). 

Since range day was almost entirely bench shooting, we will be doing a little off shooting sticks and off hand. I really want them to have some more practice and have a firm understanding of their limitations and the advantages of some sort of rest. 

I'll post up some pics on Monday

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Tomorrow is our Hunter's Safety course. One of our volunteers has opened their camp for us to do it there. We'll have the class, enjoy some venison chili I am making and have a chance to actually walk the property to see deer sign, get them into different style stands and enjoy some fresh air. (maybe not so fresh after the chili). 

Since range day was almost entirely bench shooting, we will be doing a little off shooting sticks and off hand. I really want them to have some more practice and have a firm understanding of their limitations and the advantages of some sort of rest. 

Don't forget we need to sight in two guns for participants before 10/1!  Have fun Bob!

Just now, moog5050 said:

Don't forget we need to sight in two guns for participants before 10/1!  Have fun Bob!

I got the single 20  all lined in when I went to camp two weeks ago. Maybe we can do your next week after work. I am traveling for work the whole week of the 23-27. then going to camp to set the blinds up 28 and 29. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I got the single 20  all lined in when I went to camp two weeks ago. Maybe we can do your next week after work. I am traveling for work the whole week of the 23-27. then going to camp to set the blinds up 28 and 29. 

I can loan you some blinds if you need them.  Primos doubles. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I can't begin to thank you enough, for all the hard work and dedication you put into this wonderful program. I know you don't look for accolades. But if anyone deserves them, it's you and all the other volunteers who make Field To Fork work, to bring new hunters into our ranks. In these times, it is sportsmen like yourself Bob, that give of themselves to make a difference. It is far too rare to give back the way you do. If hunting the way we know it now, is to be passed on, to future generations, it will be because of sportsmen and hunters like Culvercreek, who stood up and made a difference!

• Like 5

I can't begin to thank you enough, for all the hard work and dedication you put into this wonderful program. I know you don't look for accolades. But if anyone deserves them, it's you and all the other volunteers who make Field To Fork work, to bring new hunters into our ranks. In these times, it is sportsmen like yourself Bob, that give of themselves to make a difference. It is far too rare to give back the way you do. If hunting the way we know it now, is to be passed on, to future generations, it will be because of sportsmen and hunters like Culvercreek, who stood up and made a difference!

Thank you Grampy. It really does make me look forward to the season even more. Since my Father passed it got kind of ho hum. This is exciting seeing their hope and enthusiasm.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Belo said:

https://www.themeateater.com/listen/meateater/ep-184-managing-bambi

you can also find it on your apple phone, just open the podcast app and search meateater. androids use stitcher i think.

Thank you. I listened. Those are National QDMA employees. Matt Ross is from NY and involved in the Upper Hudson Branch as well. All great guys.

For anyone else reading this. The podcast is worth the listen if you really want to hear what QDMA is about. The Field to fork portion starts at  about the 2 hour and 5 minute mark. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Thank you. I listened. Those are National QDMA employees. Matt Ross is from NY and involved in the Upper Hudson Branch as well. All great guys.

For anyone else reading this. The podcast is worth the listen if you really want to hear what QDMA is about. The Field to fork portion starts at  about the 2 hour and 5 minute mark. 

when they were talking about educating new hunters, teaching them to shoot and skin and process all i could think about was this thread. even the crossbow stuff :)

55 minutes ago, Belo said:

when they were talking about educating new hunters, teaching them to shoot and skin and process all i could think about was this thread. even the crossbow stuff :)

We've been pretty lucky in that no one has really had any issues with the firearms. I believe because we really take out time on the range day, have multiple calibers to work our way up so they don't get freaked out, they have been ok. Even though almost not had shot anything before. Even the the ex military in this years class had never fired a "real caliber"..lol.  If I am lucky enough to get a deer with my recurve in the first part of bow season, I may try to get a couple of them their deer during crossbow.  It would take some of the pressure off the mentors during regular season. They are pretty darn easy to shoot. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well it is a wrap for the training and the NY Hunter Eduction course. Beside the classroom portion we had to opportunity to walk around the property and give them a taste of the different types of stands and why each was placed where it was. We saw and discussed actual deer sign. They did some off hand shooting with the firearms they will be hunting with and actually practices with improvised shoot rests as well. Lunch was venison chili and venison cheeseburger casserole. All in all a great day. They weather really turned around and was beautiful.
The branch provided them with their first hunting knife and a custom hunter orange knit hat. Our national office provides them a hunter orange vest and orange baseball hat. Should be ready whatever weather Mother Nature tosses at them for the season.

• Like 7