2019 Field to fork Program

Nice job Bob.  Good call on the Moras.  Not sure you could find a better knife for the money.  

I liked the mini Finn from Case that we got last year a bit better because of the Finn being a bit smaller. But this grip is larger and I think easier for them to handle. This one does come crazy sharp and should work well for them I think

By Sunday I will have all their licenses purchased and DMP's drawn (grabbing more on the November left overs). I met up with them on Wednesday, last night after work and Sunday should finish it. Next step hopefully will be on October 1st when I hope I am calling them to help process a deer I take with my recurve...lol

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

how many did you end up with?

still have 2 farmers market appearances we've committed to. all classes taking place in October.  I would think we'll settle on 10 as are hunter ed instructor board member said that's the typical minimum for a course but not sure if we're sticking with 8 or not.  we'll have another update on the 24th when we have our normal meeting. 

so the Upper Hudson River Valley QDMA branch had to partner up with DEC and the local chapter for BHA (Backcountry Hunters and Anglers). We've settled on 11 new hunters with some on a waiting list with 2 more farmers market appearances we're dedicated to.  Will update more and with pictures at some point once we have some events.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

last night we held the first meet and greet along with classroom time with videos and discussion. The event was held at the 4-H training center and shooting sports facility in Saratoga, whom the Upper Hudson River Valley QDMA branch sponsors.  we started with informal meet and greet including a good spread of food. the group enjoyed tacos as we consumed about 5 lbs of venison taco meat. videos and discussion covered history of the north american whitetail deer population, giving an intro to the field to fork program, conservation model and related laws that were put in place to support it, and very briefly touched on whitetail biology. next class and discussion takes place on October 16th.  We had 10 new hunters for the roster moving forward for this season. We had one female in the group, as well as people of various ethnicities and walks of life. All seem very engaged.

Screenshot_20191003-110521_Gallery[1].jpg

Screenshot_20191003-110527_Gallery[1].jpg

Edited by dbHunterNY
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The Upper Hudson River Valley QDMA branch had our 2nd whitetail and conservation 101 class last night. It was again at the 4H training center in ballston spa, ny. Venison tacos were the first night and last night was pulled venison sliders, snack sticks, and jerky. Other sides to go with the venison too. We covered a whitetails senses, habits, and briefly strategy on how to hunt them. Including resources for doing so. Each new hunter got a free 1 yr premium subscription On-X Hunt maps. Sunday will be hunter ed, range day with 22lr rifles, and purchasing their licenses for them. Also they'll get some goodies to use on their hunt as well.

6e71961f322fc99353a38f5010a0c649.jpg&key=04be2912ff1bba8ae7fef70c41875cf0d3bde3456c07e4b7a23ff95c481e912f

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 5

https://www.outdoornews.com/2019/10/07/field-to-fork-program-arrives-in-new-york-state/?fbclid=IwAR3YmNsw3vS5C9q2x8raZyy9JvZNP3IID7tFAZtFQgiy3cx6ONvrkWaZ23Y

I'll say it right now though, Bob and the Rochester branch blazed the trail here in NY. The rest of us just need to follow. Also Backcountry Hunters and Anglers group, as well as the Capital District NY branch are helping out mentoring in a big way.  We lost one new potential hunter due to him having family matters to deal with. He'll likely be back next season though. We're still at 9 new hunters here in the East. With Rochester's 8, that puts us at 17 new adult hunters joining the ranks this season.

• Like 6

https://www.outdoornews.com/2019/10/07/field-to-fork-program-arrives-in-new-york-state/?fbclid=IwAR3YmNsw3vS5C9q2x8raZyy9JvZNP3IID7tFAZtFQgiy3cx6ONvrkWaZ23Y

I'll say it right now though, Bob and the Rochester branch blazed the trail here in NY. The rest of us just need to follow. Also Backcountry Hunters and Anglers group, as well as the Capital District NY branch are helping out mentoring in a big way.  We lost one new potential hunter due to him having family matters to deal with. He'll likely be back next season though. We're still at 9 new hunters here in the East. With Rochester's 8, that puts us at 17 new adult hunters joining the ranks this season.

Great work Dan. I see a year of batting 1000 in the near future. ( how’s that for optimism. Lol)

I heard about this few weeks ago the property I hunt on the owner is a mentor this year.He was telling us when he was coming all I heard was his name was Nick . Great property he should enjoy himself 

Nick is a good guy. We had multiple participants choose dmp’s for that area since it’s low probability and one was lucky enough to get one. So it’s signed over to Nick. He should be ready to go is a buck or doe offers an opportunity.

On 10/17/2019 at 4:32 PM, dbHunterNY said:

The Upper Hudson River Valley QDMA branch had our 2nd whitetail and conservation 101 class last night. It was again at the 4H training center in ballston spa, ny. Venison tacos were the first night and last night was pulled venison sliders, snack sticks, and jerky. Other sides to go with the venison too. We covered a whitetails senses, habits, and briefly strategy on how to hunt them. Including resources for doing so. Each new hunter got a free 1 yr premium subscription On-X Hunt maps. Sunday will be hunter ed, range day with 22lr rifles, and purchasing their licenses for them. Also they'll get some goodies to use on their hunt as well.

6e71961f322fc99353a38f5010a0c649.jpg&key=04be2912ff1bba8ae7fef70c41875cf0d3bde3456c07e4b7a23ff95c481e912f

curious. have you found any of these folks who were obviously not raised around hunting culture but looking to get into deer hunting have issues with some of the other dead critters on the walls?

10 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Nick is a good guy. We had multiple participants choose dmp’s for that area since it’s low probability and one was lucky enough to get one. So it’s signed over to Nick. He should be ready to go is a buck or doe offers an opportunity.

Yup 8 t is a tough draw I got lucky and got one this year. He’ll have opportunity to take both buck and doe unless he’s really picky on the  size

curious. have you found any of these folks who were obviously not raised around hunting culture but looking to get into deer hunting have issues with some of the other dead critters on the walls?

Honestly when I’m the context of conservation in taking them. They don’t seem to take issue. Preference seems to be utilizing as much of a animal as possible.
  • Like 1

Honestly none of them brought that up. One of the first things we discussed was conservation and how hunting is important. They all had acknowledged meat comes from somewhere though and are interested in the whole process.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Honestly when I’m the context of conservation in taking them. They don’t seem to take issue. Preference seems to be utilizing as much of a animal as possible.

11 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

Honestly none of them brought that up. One of the first things we discussed was conservation and how hunting is important. They all had acknowledged meat comes from somewhere though and are interested in the whole process.

that's good to hear. I know a lot of people who support hunting of "some" animals and not all, so that's why I asked. Especially when we get into some of the more majestic and rare megafauna and those that we don't always eat like some birds, coyotes and fox.

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to give this a little bump and let folks follow it if they wish. We are less than 4 days away from our first hunts with the Mentees and I hope we will be posting up pics and stories as they come in. We have some excellent mentors with access into some great properties and the participants are on their A game for marksmanship (markswomanship in two cases...lol).  I'ts gonna be a cold one this weekend so all day sits will prove challenging.....STAY TUNED!!  

I also want to wish the Upper Hudson Branch good luck as they take their first group out this weekend as well. 

• Like 4

Well 5 of our 8 participants we out hunting in he opener. It really was a mixed bag of success. After all was aid and done we had t on participants hat scores their first deer. Chas was the first one to take a deer, nice 3 pointer after an all day sit and Myles took a 5 pointer. Stories to follow. Thank you to all the mentors and a special hanks to Mike and Terry for guiding these new hunters to their first deer. Stories to follow

• Like 5