What is this Tree?

4 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Pennsylvania. I don’t think it was ironwood. I snagged a leaf but of course I put it through the wash lol a161c4d6a4b690e9a7cd9f00cc1efc4e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Leaf will definitely help. I'm bowing out, but willing to bet @G-Man knows.

41 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Pennsylvania. I don’t think it was ironwood. I snagged a leaf but of course I put it through the wash lol a161c4d6a4b690e9a7cd9f00cc1efc4e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

For many iron wood is hop hornbeam similar leaf but scaly brownish bark. Grows best on poor compact soils. Usually found in old pastureland 

Just now, stubborn1VT said:

That's way different from the hop horn beam/ iron wood we have here.  It doesn't have smooth bark like a beech.  Bark looks more like a white cedar.  Goes by the same names Gman mentioned.  I doubt that tree is as hard or dense as the tree I know as iron wood.

Blue beach is same.family as hop hornbeam and it will spark a chainsaw blade, both those and locust are hottest burning wild trees I know ,also biggest pain to cut.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Blue beach is same.family as hop hornbeam and it will spark a chainsaw blade, both those and locust are hottest burning wild trees I know ,also biggest pain to cut.

They seem like the Only trees the beavers wont chew at our place

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

This what I think of when you say Ironwood!  Burn this in your stove when it's about 20 below out.  And take your chain to the sharpener after you get done cutting it.  

Ironwood_tree_bark.jpg

Yep  that's hop hornbeam grows on compacted soils, lot of old pasture land.  Blue beech is just as tough.