2019 DMP probabilities

steve863

If anyone needs proof, In how utilizing some sort of wildlife management practices aid in herd health.. Look at our properties that we manage in rocky poor soil 8P. We have somewhat hard time getting doe tags now for at least 5 or 6 years..  And according to this map its getting worse.. a decade or more ago, I would agree with this map... Today not so much.. 

Still MEDIUM for 1st  chance... NoNE for 2nd chance. Granted this did come up from a LOW 1st chance a couple years ago.  

Our doe numbers are through the roof, and getting back closer to where they used to be a decade or 2 ago, I would like to think our managing practices and harvest selection has helped us with the number of doe we have, as well as having somewhat like minded neighborhood. I asked the surrounding land owners what they thought our antlered buck to doe ratio is and they all guessed around (7-10+-) doe for every buck. Yet we still have a hard time getting tags. It is simply crazy. I know this is based abroad, but i wish we could somehow either earn another doe tag, or be granted one for managing and having the available venison around. Whether it had to be donated or consumed ourselves, I wouldn't care. We are at a point where doe numbers need to be thinned, yet we cant do anything about it. Just a bit saddening. 

And I dont own enough land to get a land owners tag. 

Any other 8P guys here? What's your doe numbers like? 

2 hours ago, bugsNbows said:

Simply crazy. I hunt 8T. None for non-residents (again) with does running all over the place!

For the life of me I don't believe they are evaluating 8T correctly. I know there is variability within the unit but it's hard to believe when we counted well over 100 deer in a one mile ride to the end of our road on a late winter/early spring day this year. Over 100! Last year it was 80-ish on the same ride, the year before it was 50.

I think they have it wrong.

40 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

If anyone needs proof, In how utilizing some sort of wildlife management practices aid in herd health.. Look at our properties that we manage in rocky poor soil 8P. We have somewhat hard time getting doe tags now for at least 5 or 6 years..  And according to this map its getting worse.. a decade or more ago, I would agree with this map... Today not so much.. 

Still MEDIUM for 1st  chance... NoNE for 2nd chance. Granted this did come up from a LOW 1st chance a couple years ago.  

Our doe numbers are through the roof, and getting back closer to where they used to be a decade or 2 ago, I would like to think our managing practices and harvest selection has helped us with the number of doe we have, as well as having somewhat like minded neighborhood. I asked the surrounding land owners what they thought our antlered buck to doe ratio is and they all guessed around (7-10+-) doe for every buck. Yet we still have a hard time getting tags. It is simply crazy. I know this is based abroad, but i wish we could somehow either earn another doe tag, or be granted one for managing and having the available venison around. Whether it had to be donated or consumed ourselves, I wouldn't care. We are at a point where doe numbers need to be thinned, yet we cant do anything about it. Just a bit saddening. 

archery/crossbow and Muzzleloader

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Are you guys all taking one with your bows?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

For the life of me I don't believe they are evaluating 8T correctly. I know there is variability within the unit but it's hard to believe when we counted well over 100 deer in a one mile ride to the end of our road on a late winter/early spring day this year. Over 100! Last year it was 80-ish on the same ride, the year before it was 50.

I think they have it wrong.

100% agree on 8T. 8X at least has increased chances of a second tag :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Got that covered with one on each of the last few years. We do get a landowner's tag, but wife and daughter play the odds unless I give it over. Daughter is a non-resident so zero odds for her.

I'm not looking to pile up does. Just looking to have choices for family without transferring the landowner tag. I save that every year to sit with one of the grandkids and take a deer without trading down on a young buck just to have the experience on getting a deer together. 3 for 3 on grandkid does. 

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Got that covered with one on each of the last few years. We do get a landowner's tag, but wife and daughter play the odds unless I give it over. Daughter is a non-resident so zero odds for her.

I'm not looking to pile up does. Just looking to have choices for family without transferring the landowner tag. I save that every year to sit with one of the grandkids and take a deer without trading down on a young buck just to have the experience on getting a deer together. 3 for 3 on grandkid does. 

Thats awesome!

22 minutes ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Thats awesome! As my 9F spot is very likely to be developed next year I'm going to try and take three does off of it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Thats awesome! As my 9F spot is very likely to be developed next year I'm going to try and take three does off of it. 

Toss a buck or two in for good measure.  That will teach those nasty developers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

1st deer taken ever year is a doe on antlerless only tag.  Deer management areas are very large and areas have to many where other spots have few.. I wish you could apply for a management permit if you can show population is high,  as a farmer you can get nuisance or d-map tags.. as a landowner you have no program to help manage your local population..

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, G-Man said:

1st deer taken ever year is a doe on antlerless only tag.  Deer management areas are very large and areas have to many where other spots have few.. I wish you could apply for a management permit if you can show population is high,  as a farmer you can get nuisance or d-map tags.. as a landowner you have no program to help manage your local population..

so do they give nuisance tags to the same landowners that cannot get DMPs?  That seems really silly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

I hunt 8P and 8R. It's crazy, in 8R my wife and I can get 4 DMPs each but you little walk across the road and you almost need a preference point to get one in 8P.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

so do they give nuisance tags to the same landowners that cannot get DMPs?  That seems really silly.

If you have a nursery and prove damage you can get extra tags to give out during season ( forestry companies do this quite a bit for neighboring land owners) or you can enter nuisance program.. personally I think the neighbors should be given tags if they apply for one if next to a nuisance or d-map program property

• Like 1

Just now, G-Man said:

If you have a nursery and prove damage you can get extra tags to give out during season ( forestry companies do this quite a bit for neighboring land owners) or you can enter nuisance program.. personally I think the neighbors should be given tags if they apply for one if next to a nuisance or d-map program property

Is that a DMAP?  Even though I have shot a couple on nuisance tags, I forget the distinction.