2019 DMP probabilities

steve863

1 minute ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

Yep, the winery properties that I hunt near Keuka Lake in 8P get plenty of nuisance permits. Deer season is in all summer...

In DEC's defense, I guess that is the type of property by property management some here would advocate.

6 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Is that a DMAP?  Even though I have shot a couple on nuisance tags, I forget the distinction.

Nuisance can be shot anytime , d map are in season tags , extra issued to. Control damage 

• Like 1

• The Deer Management Assistance Program (DMAP) provides antlerless deer harvest tags that the landowner or municipality can distribute to licensed hunters for use on specific parcels of land. The hunters can use the tags on those properties during deer hunting seasons in addition to the regular tags they receive with their licenses.
  • Deer Damage Permits (DDP)allow taking of deer outside of hunting seasons under certain conditions, and may allow the use of specialized techniques to increase success. These permits are issued in situations where adequate population control and damage reduction cannot be achieved through hunting, even with DMAP.+

These are parcel specific so technically they can not be given to a neighbor to use on their land. They can be given to someone to use on the listed parcel though.a single hunter can only use 2  DMAP's  for a given parcel. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Thats awesome!

I wish I could take some credit for being such a reliable hunter, but in reality that's just how many does we have. I usually do the grandkid thing on Black Friday after four of us are trampling our woods for a week. We still see 10 does or more on each sit. There's been many times that we'll have 20 or more platooning out into the fields during the last hunting hour of the day. Yet, no tags.

If I had to take a wild guess based on nothing scientific, I'd say we have 15-20 does for each buck. Life is good if you have antlers!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bugsNbows said:

Simply crazy. I hunt 8T. None for non-residents (again) with does running all over the place!

Same in 8P. Neighbor has a huge group that comes up from Maryland only 2 get landowner permits the rest shoot any buck that walks. 

12 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I have not looked yet, but I am guessing 8H is a high probability for DMPs.

We’re only 45 doe tags per square mile ....

Dmaps are doe only and during the season following all regulations , two,per hunter , farm gets a couple dozen .

Nuisance ,tags I’m not all that familiar with but it can be at night, out of season and so forth .

oh and I wish the developers were a bit closer , well and we had sewers ..... I’d sell the land in a heart beat .

Edited by BeIo

4 hours ago, Hock3y24 said:

7p went up from low to medium, my nephew has a preference point and will be 14 this year there. AKA signing it over to me lol. 7s and 7r are typical. 

I saw 7p went up i think i have a preference point for it.  Ig my daughter decides to go probably all my doe tags will go to her.  She wont turn 14 until after october 1st so she cant try for them. Or does that not matter for the youth hunters?

Edited by Swamp_bucks
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Are you guys all taking one with your bows?

We try to take a doe each early season if possible. But that last couple years we seemed to take them later in the season, due to many busy. Plus to most of us we enjoy a archery harvest more than a rifle.. The majority of my neighbors get land owner tags.  

16 hours ago, WNY Bowhunter said:

I hunt 8P and 8R. It's crazy, in 8R my wife and I can get 4 DMPs each but you little walk across the road and you almost need a preference point to get one in 8P.

It sure is crazy. As Bob mentioned, I guess its good to have the archery antlerless and either sex tags. In 8P where doe numbers are plentiful but tag issuance is not..  

2 hours ago, Swamp_bucks said:

I saw 7p went up i think i have a preference point for it.  Ig my daughter decides to go probably all my doe tags will go to her.  She wont turn 14 until after october 1st so she cant try for them. Or does that not matter for the youth hunters?

Here's a good question.  A youngster 12-14 cannot hunt deer yet with a firearm, but are they allowed to apply for a DMP?  Does anyone know the answer or have experience with this?   Nothing in the regulations says that they can't, and since big game and small game licenses are no longer separate licenses, I would think it would be possible.  Unless there is something built in to the licensing computer system to intercept those that are under age?

• Like 1

Here's a good question.  A youngster 12-14 cannot hunt deer yet with a firearm, but are they allowed to apply for a DMP?  Does anyone know the answer or have experience with this?   Nothing in the regulations says that they can't, and since big game and small game licenses are no longer separate licenses, I would think it would be possible.  Unless there is something built in to the licensing computer system to intercept those that are under age?
I know if they have the bow hunting privilege they can apply for a dmp. I am not sure if they do not have a bowhunting privilege.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, G-Man said:

1st deer taken ever year is a doe on antlerless only tag.  Deer management areas are very large and areas have to many where other spots have few.. I wish you could apply for a management permit if you can show population is high,  as a farmer you can get nuisance or d-map tags.. as a landowner you have no program to help manage your local population..

you can. you apply for DMAP tags under "custom deer management" with at least 1,000 contiguous acres. You have to give them info on management goals and how you came up with population density of adult doe.  Applications are to be post marked by August 1st. we do this with QDM co-ops out here.  Some areas in the WMU's are low for deer numbers but in townships were we're doing QDM on ag ground the populations are vastly different.  we take at least 2X the number of expected doe per square mile and doe reduction is still pretty slow, despite noticeable. we have to do this because we use buck restrictions that protect more of the buck population than otherwise to balance things out and not have even more deer than what it seems on paper. DEC's "buck take objective" to determine deer population doesn't really work when you start passing a large portion of buck population with buck restrictions. DEC even indicates this in their yearly harvest summary for WMU's with antler restrictions.  on paper without knowing a restriction exists it looks like there's no deer/opportunity.  in reality 40+% of adult doe we're taking are 4.5+ yrs old.  general rule of thumb for here anyway is take 25% of adult doe to maintain population and 33% to reduce it.  harsher than normal weather that year or higher than normal predator numbers (not just yotes) have a lagging effect on things too.  DEC does a good job at making sure there's a sustainable deer population here in NY. still, you're the one calling the shots when it gets down to a level your looking at your property and the neighbors though. which i think you agree.

10 hours ago, BeIo said:

We’re only 45 doe tags per square mile ....

Dmaps are doe only and during the season following all regulations , two,per hunter , farm gets a couple dozen .

Nuisance ,tags I’m not all that familiar with but it can be at night, out of season and so forth .

oh and I wish the developers were a bit closer , well and we had sewers ..... I’d sell the land in a heart beat .

do those farms you hunt get DDP's?

Just now, Culvercreek hunt club said:

do those farms you hunt get DDP's?

i can't speak for them but deer damage permits "nuisance tags" are separate from DMP and DMAP allocation. you can definitely get both. here the DEC won't issue you DDPs if you don't already have hunters during the season taking deer.

7 minutes ago, dbHunterNY said:

i can't speak for them but deer damage permits "nuisance tags" are separate from DMP and DMAP allocation. you can definitely get both. here the DEC won't issue you DDPs if you don't already have hunters during the season taking deer.

I was asking specifically for the farms he was hunting

• Like 1

8 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Those are 2 wide bucks.    Good luck with them!

They're the two that I'm after here. The aggressive one on the right is at least a 5 year old or maybe 6...forth year getting him on cam. He's never been a monster scorer and I think he was a little wider last year. 

received_2030962830342987.thumb.jpeg.0bccba492922fb3d63d6c168fb1cb9f9.jpeg

• Like 4