RPR sunrise, Giant and Cascade

Jdubs

I know a lot of you enjoyed watching me finish the ADK 46 last summer so it's about time that I posted pics from my recent hikes.  Needless to say, it's been a busy summer!

About a month ago, my friend Jenny joined me for a sunrise hike up to Rocky Peak Ridge and Giant.  Zero parking issues along rt 73 when you're starting out at night!  The hike up Giant is short (3 miles), but demanding (3000' elevation gain).  However, the payoff is hiking along open ridges for much of the top half.  You can't see much in the moonlight, but we enjoyed it on the way down.  The trail to RPR drops down just before Giant's summit and it is a steep one!  This is the toughest stretch of the hike.  Once the trail finally leveled out, it was a pretty easy walk up to RPR's summit where we took in a gorgeous wrap-around view of the mountains waking up at sunrise. 

Two weeks ago I told my daughter, "Hey, I'm getting you up at 12:30 and taking you on a sunrise hike!"  At first she thought I meant 12:30 PM!:rofl:  The forecast was for a clear night and perfectly sunny Saturday.  But no!  Fog began to fill my headlamp beam about half way up the mountain and would never clear off.  While she enjoyed the hike (kinda, sort of), I don't think she'll be hounding me to go again soon.  I'm proud if her for hiking her first 46er with me and bummed that she didn't get to experience the spectacular views from Cascade's summit.  We stopped for chocolate chip pancakes and chocolate shakes on the way home.  This might have been her favorite part of the whole day! :)

Next up, I'm leaving Friday to tackle the most epic hike in the northeast: Mt. Katahdin and the Knife Edge!  Should be an awesome trip!!

20190622_195138.jpg

20190622_152106.jpg

20190622_050422.jpg

20190622_201905.jpg

20190622_202425.jpg

20190713_123632.jpg

20190713_123531.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 14

Just now, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Great pics- what kind of camera? Also, big fan of Costas as well.

Ready for this?  My Samsung 9+!  It was taking better pics than my older Fuji so that cam went back into the pack and stayed there.  I've been looking hard at a Sony 6400 and Fuji T-3 or T-30, but haven't decided which way to go yet.  Also staring hard at a GoPro 7 Black to maybe take up to Katahdin.

The Costas are awesome.  I've been a long time Maui Jim guy, but just picked these up last month and love em. :good:

• Like 1

Insane pics as always, simply stunning.  

Very much enjoy your hiking posts, and beyond excited for you to be going to Baxter, and I hope I get a text when you have service of your first moose sighting.  

Don't be a stranger, have a safe trip, and hike, its no joke on those trails up there...3’ in spots from edge to edge if I remember correctly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dinsdale said:

Katahdin...be prepared for WIND on that route.....I mean crazy think I'll hunker down in these rocks for a spell wind.

Have fun! Baxter is a terrific park.

Wind, sun, t-storms...the ever changing forecast is predicting everything!

1 hour ago, Bionic said:

Insane pics as always, simply stunning.  

Very much enjoy your hiking posts, and beyond excited for you to be going to Baxter, and I hope I get a text when you have service of your first moose sighting.  

Don't be a stranger, have a safe trip, and hike, its no joke on those trails up there...3’ in spots from edge to edge if I remember correctly.

If I have service, you will definitely get a text!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ncountry said:

OK... I just watched  some go pro footage of "hiking" the knife edge.. 

And that falls under the nfin way am I doing that..lol.. . Looks awesome though, but my heart was in my throat just watching the video..

I watched those too and said, "I have GOT to do this!!!" :haha:

Just now, Jdubs said:

I watched those too and said, "I have GOT to do this!!!" :haha:

That is cool.. I'm  not sure if you follow skiing or not . I went to school and skied with the Gaffney brothers on occasion. They went west and started filming some ski movies. A few years later I drove to Colorado and skied  the same area that they filmed.. I'm a pretty good skier , but some of the cliffs I said I'd jump when watching from my couch, didn't get jumped after I looked over the actual edge..lol... 

• Like 1