Anyone Hunt deer in Maryland?

Billdogge

• 6 months later...

Late to the thread but I’m stationed down on the eastern shore of Maryland and do quite a bit of deer hunting there. Lots of public land that’s usually empty during archery season at most places. Mosquitos and horse flies are terrible I highly recommend a thermacell. Gun season down here is way too crowded on public lands but if you go out on the last week of gun there’s much less people in the woods. I shot a doe on the last day of the gun season here. There are giant deer but they are mostly taken off of private land farms. A guy I work with shot a 16 point buck off his farm on opening day of gun season this year. 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 12:22 AM, LICOASTIE said:

Late to the thread but I’m stationed down on the eastern shore of Maryland and do quite a bit of deer hunting there. Lots of public land that’s usually empty during archery season at most places. Mosquitos and horse flies are terrible I highly recommend a thermacell. Gun season down here is way too crowded on public lands but if you go out on the last week of gun there’s much less people in the woods. I shot a doe on the last day of the gun season here. There are giant deer but they are mostly taken off of private land farms. A guy I work with shot a 16 point buck off his farm on opening day of gun season this year. 

Thanks for the info man. It's still on my list just need to find more time in the day.

20 hours ago, Fletch said:

Not to hijack the op but Bill may be interested too...

Licoastie, any input on Sitka? There is a thread a few lines down on the Out of State Sub on Maryland Sitka a few of us are interested in.

I'm also interested in the Sitka!

There are Sitka deer in certain counties of both Maryland and Virginia. Mostly in Dorchester county, Maryland. I have not hunted them but have seen a small female Sitka at a wildlife refuge in VA. (They are very small deer) I recommend going thru an outfitter in Maryland. They have baited stands on tons of acres of private property. Public land from what I heard is very tough. You would need waders, kayak/canoe to get to most places out on the marshes and would need a climber. If you want to do public I recommend getting a permit at the Blackwater Refuge and hunting there. They have an archery and gun season. But like the rest of Maryland the bugs and heat in September and October is brutal. Best of luck and I am always happy to answer any more questions.

• Like 2