late inning corn

Went out to check one of my hunting  spots and there is some corn in there.  I am sure it was planted really late with all the rain this year.  I was out there a month ago and couldnt really tell it was planted.  Well the corn is about 18 inches high - any chance this becomes a decent cornfield by fall?  

was sure hoping for them to plant corn cause last year - 3 sits = 3 deer.  Its a spot that the corn hides me to get in. And i can only hunt it on a east wind and only in the afternoon, if i go out there in the morn i always just get busted, but in the midday i can usually get in there.  Excited if this corn will take off cause it was great last year! 

big buck 2018 - 2.jpg

veiw from Augusta stand.jpg

Doe 2018 Augusta.jpg

Muzzleloader deer '18.jpg

123951.jpg

Edited by Robhuntandfish
  • Like 1

Most of the cornfields I've come across seem to have caught up to their normal height ,regardless of the late planting. I'm ok with it being slightly late ,usually the corn filed brings the big deer in and as soon as they cut it ,only the resident deer are left behind.

• Like 1

Hate to be a spoil sport but the answer is possibly.. a short growing field corn may produce ears BUT.... it may not have been planted to go to kernel / cob corn. If there is not enough time to go to black tip and dent it will most likely be chopped for silage before a frost hits while in milk stage.

It usually takes about 45 days from silking to dent. It is at this point its dry for harvest , to pick earlier takes a tremendous amount of drying time = propane and $$$$.. 

So you may have corn you may not.. now the hard part for you is to hope for no frost till November so it can mature and dent.. it's the hardest thing I have to do every year is hope my.corn makes it to dent so it doesn't rot ,and if it frost in milk deer avoid it as many of the fungus that grow on it are toxic..

• Like 1

NoHate to be a spoil sport but the answer is possibly.. a short growing field corn may produce ears BUT.... it may not have been planted to go to kernel / cob corn. If there is not enough time to go to black tip and dent it will most likely be chopped for silage before a frost hits while in milk stage.

It usually takes about 45 days from silking to dent. It is at this point its dry for harvest , to pick earlier takes a tremendous amount of drying time = propane and $$$$.. 

So you may have corn you may not.. now the hard part for you is to hope for no frost till November so it can mature and dent.. it's the hardest thing I have to do every year is hope my.corn makes it to dent so it doesn't rot ,and if it frost in milk deer avoid it as many of the fungus that grow on it are toxic..

• Like 1

Depends what maturity group corn was planted. I would say you will be good to go, as the farmers know what they're doing. And that it will probably be harvested later in the year compared to last year. As long as we dont get early hard frost.. But there is also a chance that they planted it for silage. I would say it will be ok, and harvested instead .. I passed a couple fields that are prrobably not even 1 ft tall yet. Id imagine these will be silage fields, unless a very early day corn were seeded. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Hate to be a spoil sport but the answer is possibly.. a short growing field corn may produce ears BUT.... it may not have been planted to go to kernel / cob corn. If there is not enough time to go to black tip and dent it will most likely be chopped for silage before a frost hits while in milk stage.

Last season it wasn't harvested til Jan.  Prob because of the early snow and this is also on a pretty steep slope. 

The field was.loaded.with ears all season.  Squirrels were dragging it all over. The buck I shot was eating a dropped ear in the snow when he stopped in range. Knew he was digging at something.and found a broken up ear of corn. But there was corn everywhere. 

Am hoping for the same but it's so far behind last season for height. Hoping it matures and grows. 

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Last season it wasn't harvested til Jan.  Prob because of the early snow and this is also on a pretty steep slope. 

The field was.loaded.with ears all season.  Squirrels were dragging it all over. The buck I shot was eating a dropped ear in the snow when he stopped in range. Knew he was digging at something.and found a broken up ear of corn. But there was corn everywhere. 

Am hoping for the same but it's so far behind last season for height. Hoping it matures and grows. 

Once its dented and black tipped it can stand innards field and be fine. Most.farmers dont have storage for it so it will stand till they have need of it or the silo they have employs a bit..why pay taxes on a silo if you can leave stand.. idk if it. Will dent and make black tip.. this year

For starters, it starting to really suck in this climate, if your realize your income from farming. Working with the weather is becoming an real under statement. 

With that being said; around theses parts, we have corn just over our ankles in many fields;  hopes of a late frost. Seventy five day corn sold out quick. Shorter day corn seed will make grain, most likely for the bunk, but picking corn going to be a shortage locally. Silage corn feed has to start to dent, for valued feed nutrition. 

For the value of hunting, I'd get some radish or other source of nutrition planted. We're planting radish Saturday. Wheat going in first week of September, for a late season draw.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

Once its dented and black tipped it can stand innards field and be fine. Most.farmers dont have storage for it so it will stand till they have need of it or the silo they have employs a bit..why pay taxes on a silo if you can leave stand.. idk if it. Will dent and make black tip.. this year

had some out in one field on a wet summer and all the corn was nasty.   Last year that corn was beautiful right thru muzzle - prob why so many deer there.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

For starters, it starting to really suck in this climate, if your realize your income from farming. Working with the weather is becoming an real under statement. 

With that being said; around theses parts, we have corn just over our ankles in many fields;  hopes of a late frost. Seventy five day corn sold out quick. Shorter day corn seed will make grain, most likely for the bunk, but picking corn going to be a shortage locally. Silage corn feed has to start to dent, for valued feed nutrition. 

For the value of hunting, I'd get some radish or other source of nutrition planted. We're planting radish Saturday. Wheat going in first week of September, for a late season draw.

im at the mercy of the farmers and what they plant there.  Changes every year and i try to adjust stands accordingly. 

Just now, Robhuntandfish said:

im at the mercy of the farmers and what they plant there.  Changes every year and i try to adjust stands accordingly. 

You could go and throw some turnip seed on the edge and in 1st couple of rows .. cheap and makes nice little draw if corn doesn't mature. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, G-Man said:

You could go and throw some turnip seed on the edge and in 1st couple of rows .. cheap and makes nice little draw if corn doesn't mature. 

Hmmmmm...... now ya got me thinking !  Also right in front of stand where i hunt corn is always sparse cause its wet early.  Gman !  you are on with this stuff! Thats a pretty good idea! 

So got another question...... On our leased property we have trails that are cut and are basically just high grass. The trails are about 10 yards wide and no tree cover.  If i seed them with clover without tilling it should i get any turnout and if so when should i seed it?  Been thinking of getting a brush hog to cut these trails more often as the owner only does it a couple of times a year and this year hasnt done it yet because of weather.  

Edited by Robhuntandfish

1 hour ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Hmmmmm...... now ya got me thinking !  Also right in front of stand where i hunt corn is always sparse cause its wet early.  Gman !  you are on with this stuff! Thats a pretty good idea! 

So got another question...... On our leased property we have trails that are cut and are basically just high grass. The trails are about 10 yards wide and no tree cover.  If i seed them with clover without tilling it should i get any turnout and if so when should i seed it?  Been thinking of getting a brush hog to cut these trails more often as the owner only does it a couple of times a year and this year hasnt done it yet because of weather.  

Clover will over take the grass in fall and spring, if you can keep mowed a few times over summer it can completely take over the grass, will take a bit as grass seeds are.dormant and will keep sprouting. I'd seed in mid late August and.let it start and frost seed early.spring as supplement.. If you could spray it with roundup. And wait a week and then plant you will get better and faster results

Edited by G-Man
  • Like 1

Thanks much.  Been really thinking on pulling the trigger on a pull behind brush hog for a 4 wheeler. And this might seal the deal.  These trails could be great food plots but they def need to be cut better. This has really got me thinking now.  

Found a brush hog I have been eyeing.... But was planning on for possible next year, but.... The guy I share the lease with has a 4 wheeler so if I got the brush hog we would be in business.  Would love to make these trails clover. 

Have seen a couple of years when it was cut better they would even dig in the early snow there to get to grasses and clover. And there is some clover in it already. Otherwise late season we have nothing to keep them on there either. 

9 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Thanks much.  Been really thinking on pulling the trigger on a pull behind brush hog for a 4 wheeler. And this might seal the deal.  These trails could be great food plots but they def need to be cut better. This has really got me thinking now.  d clover. And there is some clover in it already. Otherwise late season we have nothing to keep them on there either. 

I'm by NO means a QDM expert, but you seem to be talking about 2 separate food sources. JMO, clover is a true QDM food source for many different types of wildlife mainly during the spring/summer months when they need the growth nutrition clover provides. What your OP was about was crops that ripen/mature around deer hunting season, to attract them to a certain area. Clearly, one could argue that fall crops also help wildlife "bulk-up" for the coming winter months, but let's be real - you're trying to get them near your hunting stands! Right!??!

Once you really decide which route to take, there's a lot of great advice to be had from QDMA members and food plot junkies! Then the trial 'n' error game begins! LOL. Not all deer are fond of or attracted to all food sources. The "Field of Dreams" theory doesn't always work - plant it & they will come.

Out of curiosity, is this something you think about while out in your boat supposedly fishing? :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

I'm by NO means a QDM expert, but you seem to be talking about 2 separate food sources. JMO, clover is a true QDM food source for many different types of wildlife mainly during the spring/summer months when they need the growth nutrition clover provides. What your OP was about was crops that ripen/mature around deer hunting season, to attract them to a certain area. Clearly, one could argue that fall crops also help wildlife "bulk-up" for the coming winter months, but let's be real - you're trying to get them near your hunting stands! Right!??!

Once you really decide which route to take, there's a lot of great advice to be had from QDMA members and food plot junkies! Then the trial 'n' error game begins! LOL. Not all deer are fond of or attracted to all food sources. The "Field of Dreams" theory doesn't always work - plant it & they will come.

Out of curiosity, is this something you think about while out in your boat supposedly fishing? :rolleyes:

yup was talking about two different properties.  The one I started to ask about, is with farmer fields on some land i have permission to hunt on. The other one i was asking about my lease land for clover.  Really thinking i need to get a brush hog for the lease.  Guy that owns it always does it so he has trails, but he works so much that its hard for him to get to. 

And while in the boat fishing its all fishing!  lol