Training

Buckmaster7600

Anyone else started getting in shape for deer season? I’ve been walking/jogging since turkey season and doing pretty good for a cripple.

Today I did 9 miles with a 40lb pack and 3lb ankle weights wearing hunting boots stayed over a 3 miles pace the whole time.31b4a3d2122bd2550306d02a41d3496c.jpg&key=608640663af1d59bd7e7d8219adbeefec30cb99e55b22f0ec6667f3b97d24132

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 9

Getting in shape for deer season!!  Good for you, that's really awesome!! 
I'm on the opposite side of the hill, and will be cutting back on hunting time this year.

If there ever was a need for a DISlike button it would be now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

At well over 50 and playing 2s and 4s sand volleyball 3 nights a week I am not doing much else. Once the session ends I'll start running again. My knees can't take both. 

I gotta get the bow out tonight and start drawing. My shoulders worry me more than anything else!

Back when I was doing my DIY wilderness hunts, I logged hundreds of miles hiking with a packframe of firewood, plus a ten pound M-1...

Good thing..I was in the best shape of my life and a couple of those hunts STILL damn near killed me...

• Like 3

I was trying to get in shape,but i think i buggerrd up my previously fragmented meniscus. I think i have a little tear now,get a nice jolt of pain when it doesn't line up right. Hopefully it will wear of some before deer season...

I am more familiar with knee injuries than i care to be...

I was hoping to go up to a friends camp near speculator.

Not nearly as much as you are sir.. hats off to you! But when time permits.. I push my son up and down our back roads a few miles at a time.. Pretty views when the corn isn't 6ft tall + 

And i'm far from being in shape lol more like just a shape right now! Exercise is much needed, never been so far gone before. 

Also on my half hour lunch breaks I walk 1-1.5 miles nearly every day. 

20190603_193208.jpg

• Like 1

HA!  Good for you.  I lift and workout during the cold months primarily.  Usually I start back from my spring/summer off season in early August, then by mid October I have a decent start, mostly free weights in the basement with some cardio mixed in....it definately helps to be somewhat in shape for the deer season than not, also keeps my lower back in check.

6-7000 square bales here in ny. And usually 800 to 1200 bales in pa.

Usually its just me and glen here and just me in pa so if I do 300 bales I handle each at least 3 times by the time it's in the barn so on a 300 bale day I've handled 900 plus bales depending on where in the barn I'm stacking it.

I did 367 on wed. And he tried killing me yesterday when we did 783, well 784 if you count the bale that was left in the shower when I was done at 1030 last night. Lol.

Man this getting old craps for the birds, I'm a little sore today.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I don't enjoy sweating, so my summer "training" involves running laps in the pool.    That water provides lots of resistance and cuts down on the arthrits-aggravating joint impact loads.  I get a whirlpool going (sometimes with the kids helping), then reverse direction, for greater resistance into the current.   Repeat the cycle until tired, then hop on a float to relax.   I was not real happy when the wife forked over $200 on a 15 ft diameter, 4 ft deep pool a few years ago, but it turned out to be a pretty good investment in terms of fitness equipment, and fun for the kids.  Folks have said that pool maintenance sucks and that you should not own both a pool and a boat.   

Maintenance ain't that bad - just add a chlorine tablet to the plastic float every couple weeks and change the filter cartridge 3 or 4 times a season.   I drain it and disassemble every year.  It takes about 8 hours to fill with the hose and about an hour to set it up with the kids helping.  For the other 9 months of the year, a 15 foot diameter trampoline occupies that spot next to our deck.           

Full body work out 3 days a week, can’t stand cardio. But what I do different with my weight training is I only take 10 -15 second breaks between sets and push myself . But having said all that we hunt 67 acres, it is steep in some spots but no need for a marathon hike.