The New to Market Culver Creek ATV Plow

So I called Bob yesterday at about 5:30pm and asked his thoughts on what we could use to upset the dirt in the plot before spreading seed on Sat.   Plot is pretty much weed free at this point but dirt is hard.  I was thinking of dragging a cut telephone pole with screws in it.  

Bob says, I have an idea and I think all the materials we need.   By 10:15pm, he engineered and welded up the prototype CulverCreek ATV plow.   It’s pretty darn cool and heavy duty.  We can even ratchet on logs if we need more weight (it ain’t real light now) but I suspect due to the angle on the pointed tines it will dig in good enough for what we need (only 1” or so will be plenty) without weight.  Plus you can flip it over and drag after spreading with the flat bar.   I have to say, Bob has skills and is creative. His camp is a greater example of that though.   Nice Job Culver!

7D5E6243-F94D-4317-8198-8C4D25BC2B26.jpeg

CE34FA06-EBC9-4A33-9EDF-869E4CC51F8F.jpeg

78BF001D-23AC-4A5F-98A6-9300EE134E3E.jpeg

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 12

16 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

I like it . We built one years ago that was very similar to that , it worked well.  

I told Bob, its pretty much exactly what I was looking to buy, but no one makes one.  lol  Still small enough to strap to the ATV to get it into my swamp plot too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

I told Bob, its pretty much exactly what I was looking to buy, but no one makes one.  lol  Still small enough to strap to the ATV to get it into my swamp plot too.

Honesty .ours still exists somewhere , i remember about where we left in the field , every season i walk through the tall grass looking for it ,the earth may have reclaimed it .  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

I would imagine that will work well!! but may pick up tall vegetation good too?? Or maybe it will fall off since there sno angle or radius backwards.. Keep us posted Mr Moog! 

I thought maybe root mass may collect as well. Nice part is since we are both there as he makes a round, I should be able to just pick it up and let it fall off as he pulls forward. the angled iron "plows" do angle a bit forward so I hope it wants to pull itself into the ground. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I thought maybe root mass may collect as well. Nice part is since we are both there as he makes a round, I should be able to just pick it up and let it fall off as he pulls forward. the angled iron "plows" do angle a bit forward so I hope it wants to pull itself into the ground. 

Right on! Id imagine it will be the "cats a$$"!!

Sweet build !! Curious to hear the results !!

Side note, it can be a dual purpose setup, plot work in summer and we ( as in me ) can stack yotes on it so you don't have to carry them out. Better find a nice shoulder strap !

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

A simple planker with spikes thru it works wonders and no welding skills needed..  just 3 2x10 x how ever long you want or can pull. Lapped and nailed together like siding . Then drive large spikes through making it a homemade spiked harrow that you can then flip over and use a a drag as well. .  Not needed flip up against a tree and if you used pressure treated will last for years stored right next to your plot.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

I would imagine that will work well!! but may pick up tall vegetation good too?? Or maybe it will fall off since there sno angle or radius backwards.. Keep us posted Mr Moog! 

Hopefully it won't be an issue.  I sprayed three times this year and its pretty bare right now.  What little was lift I cut yesterday but we shall see.

Screenshot_20190726-110109_Chrome.thumb.jpg.79675546721298f913d2f5b1649369d0.jpgScreenshot_20190726-110128_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3ff1a3a0d7a23fa634b388db7af35310.jpgThe issue I see with yours is it will just make furrows with out a lot of repetition,  a second gang off set behind it would increase its effectiveness and allow you to add cinder blocks for weight.. you basically made a field spring tooth harrow with out springs you can simply buy these springs and add sweeps and bolt or weld onto your frame and make your own..

Edited by G-Man

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I have to say, Bob has skills and is creative. His camp is a greater example of that though.

His camp is an engineering marvel.  If Bob can't fix it, it can't be fixed!  Rumor has it that he's the real life character behind the kids TV show "Bob the Builder".  LOL

image.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, moog5050 said:

So I called Bob yesterday at about 5:30pm and asked his thoughts on what we could use to upset the dirt in the plot before spreading seed on Sat.   Plot is pretty much weed free at this point but dirt is hard.  I was thinking of dragging a cut telephone pole with screws in it.  

Bob says, I have an idea and I think all the materials we need.   By 10:15pm, he engineered and welded up the prototype CulverCreek ATV plow.   It’s pretty darn cool and heavy duty.  We can even ratchet on logs if we need more weight (it ain’t real light now) but I suspect due to the angle on the pointed tines it will dig in good enough for what we need (only 1” or so will be plenty) without weight.  Plus you can flip it over and drag after spreading with the flat bar.   I have to say, Bob has skills and is creative. His camp is a greater example of that though.   Nice Job Culver!

7D5E6243-F94D-4317-8198-8C4D25BC2B26.jpeg

CE34FA06-EBC9-4A33-9EDF-869E4CC51F8F.jpeg

78BF001D-23AC-4A5F-98A6-9300EE134E3E.jpeg

Pull behind a atv?? Your missing a perfect multi task. Just think of the work out one would get , put on a super  yoke and hitch it up and drag it around  :yes:...

Looks good though. post up some photos of it in action .i bet it will work perfect for what you guys need.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G-Man said:

Screenshot_20190726-110109_Chrome.thumb.jpg.79675546721298f913d2f5b1649369d0.jpgScreenshot_20190726-110128_Chrome.thumb.jpg.3ff1a3a0d7a23fa634b388db7af35310.jpgThe issue I see with yours is it will just make furrows with out a lot of repetition,  a second gang off set behind it would increase its effectiveness and allow you to add cinder blocks for weight.. you basically made a field spring tooth harrow with out springs you can simply buy these springs and add sweeps and bolt or weld onto your frame and make your own..

The only thing I have seen with those style that are full support on the hitch is that you need a suspension lock on the wheeler. As the load increases the wheeler squats and digs deeper forcing the wheeler to squat more and the cycle continues. I had to add the suspension lock bar on the Bombardier Traxter that I use the pull the grader blade I made and the york rake as well. when I didn't have it on they would go through that cycle until the tires eventually spun. 

15 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

The only thing I have seen with those style that are full support on the hitch is that you need a suspension lock on the wheeler. As the load increases the wheeler squats and digs deeper forcing the wheeler to squat more and the cycle continues. I had to add the suspension lock bar on the Bombardier Traxter that I use the pull the grader blade I made and the york rake as well. when I didn't have it on they would go through that cycle until the tires eventually spun. 

Yes I would add a leveling depth control with an adjustable axle. Or skid plate to keep from digging to deep... like draft control on a tractor.. on reason I never cared for 4 wheeler they really are not designed for plot work.. after awhile the owners wreck the machines and buy a small used reactor for 1/4 or.less the cost of a 4 wheeler.. and do more.. my one friends 2 ATV are parked all the time.now only used when grand kids come over.  Hes on the tractor all the time working, wishes he would of bought it years ago..

10 minutes ago, G-Man said:

Yes I would add a leveling depth control with an adjustable axle. Or skid plate to keep from digging to deep... like draft control on a tractor.. on reason I never cared for 4 wheeler they really are not designed for plot work.. after awhile the owners wreck the machines and buy a small used reactor for 1/4 or.less the cost of a 4 wheeler.. and do more.. my one friends 2 ATV are parked all the time.now only used when grand kids come over.  Hes on the tractor all the time working, wishes he would of bought it years ago..

Geared or hydro ? LOL

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, G-Man said:

If I owned property I'd opt for a tractor as well. 

• Like 2