Cordless Electric garden tools don't always suck .

Hunter007

I bought a electric hedge trimmer recently just to trim the crap my gardener misses   . Initially I was hesitant to get a cordless electric hedge trimmer thinking it would not have enough power and the charge would not last long . I have gas one  and  it works  great except for the noise  and trouble starting when not used for a long time .   But I was pleasantly surprised  by its performance also the weight less the 6 pounds  about 2 pounds less then the gas one I have . 

I'm thinking  to buy a cordless electric chainsaw next to replace the gas one I have.  Anyone here  used them yet? 

20190726_165708.thumb.jpg.43e2d09b507f59cde7736cba52870d9f.jpg

20190726_165911.jpg

Edited by Hunter007
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, old man river said:

Those Hedges are really nice 007!  Your Gardener did a great job.

Not really that's after I fixed it with the new hedge trimmer i got .  He  waits to long and let's crap get overgrown sometimes  .

Edited by Hunter007

Cordless power tools have come a long way especially since the lithium batteries came on the scene. I purchased a set of Green Works 40 volt items a couple of years ago, a chain saw, a pole saw, a leaf blower and a mower and have had very good luck with all. Very good power and battery life allows them to do the smaller jobs around my place easily, quickly and conveniently. 

The set of Milwaukee Fuel cordless power tools I have for all practical purposes work as well as corded stuff.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 3

I hesitate to buy battery anything  because I have been burned by discontinued  models a few years after purchase . Nothing sucks more than ha ing  a bag full of cordless tools and not be able to replace batteries or chargers. Have  had that  happen 2 times .. craftsman and dewalt.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hunter007 said:

I bought a electric hedge trimmer recently just to trim the crap my gardener misses   . Initially I was hesitant to get a cordless electric hedge trimmer thinking it would not have enough power and the charge would not last long . I have gas one  and  it works  great except for the noise  and trouble starting when not used for a long time .   But I was pleasantly surprised  by its performance also the weight less the 6 pounds  about 2 pounds less then the gas one I have . 

I'm thinking  to buy a cordless electric chainsaw next to replace the gas one I have.  Anyone here  used them yet? 

20190726_165708.thumb.jpg.43e2d09b507f59cde7736cba52870d9f.jpg

20190726_165911.jpg

Yes I have a 40 but pole saw and 40 volt snowblower 16in and a 16 in chainsaw..I can get about 1 hr 30 min out of a battery but I see they now have a 80 volt.cordless chainsaw I may have to get

• Like 1

I do not have the patience for battery operated power tools.    I have not have trouble with gas operated ones, since ethanol - free gas became available about (5) years ago.    When and if I need an electric tool, it uses a cord and AC power.   A cheap, corded (14" bar) electric chainsaw has been one of the handiest power tools that I have used in a couple of big barn dismantling/demolition projects.   I like that "silent power" because the motor noise does not cover the sounds of cracking support posts/beams, and that gives me ample time to get myself out of the way before the structure collapses on my head.   A gas saw would be dangerous in that application. If I need to use a corded electric tool, far from and outlet, I bring along my portable, gas-powered generator (always kept full of ethanol - free gas).  Regular use of that generator kills two birds with one stone - it makes sure it is ready to use in an emergency, while providing power in remote locations.    When I have a job to do, there is not much that would piss me off more than not being able to get it done because of a dead battery.  I can always make a quick repair on an extension cord if necessary, and have always known enough to keep plenty of gas on hand.   There is also a lot of times when a hand tool is better than a power tool, such as back in the woods working on tree stands.             

16 minutes ago, wolc123 said:

I do not have the patience for battery operated power tools.    I have not have trouble with gas operated ones, since ethanol - free gas became available about (5) years ago.    When and if I need an electric tool, it uses a cord and AC power.   A cheap, corded (14" bar) electric chainsaw has been one of the handiest power tools that I have used in a couple of big barn dismantling/demolition projects.   I like that "silent power" because the motor noise does not cover the sounds of cracking support posts/beams, and that gives me ample time to get myself out of the way before the structure collapses on my head.   A gas saw would be dangerous in that application. If I need to use a corded electric tool, far from and outlet, I bring along my portable, gas-powered generator (always kept full of ethanol - free gas).  Regular use of that generator kills two birds with one stone - it makes sure it is ready to use in an emergency, while providing power in remote locations.    When I have a job to do, there is not much that would piss me off more than not being able to get it done because of a dead battery.  I can always make a quick repair on an extension cord if necessary, and have always known enough to keep plenty of gas on hand.   There is also a lot of times when a hand tool is better than a power tool, such as back in the woods working on tree stands.             

I feel the same way was actually going to buy a second battery just in case because I hate waiting,  but so far know need I trimmed for over 1 hour battery was still good .  So not sure if I'm going to bother getting a second battery now .Will see  .   That will be the first thing I do if it ever stopped in the middle of doing something , hate that .

2 minutes ago, Hunter007 said:

I feel the same way was actually going to buy a second battery just in case because I hate waiting,  but so far know need I trimmed for over 1 hour battery was still good .  So not sure if I'm going to bother getting a second battery now .Will see  .   That will be the first thing I do if it ever stopped in the middle of doing something , hate that .

I have 3 batteries that are all the same one for each cordless tool I. Have ir so they all work interchangeably.  Clear shooting lanes with pole saw , quiet and quick, and clear trails with chainsaw, as well as dropped many trees over the winter. Love the fact its quiet, no gas stench to leave or get on me.   The snow blower clears walk way and elevated deck as well as cleans off pond for ice skating and hockey.  

Sun joe/ snow Joe have a 20volt system (decent bunch of guys bought the 20volt pole saws after using my 40volt) 

A 40 volt system that is pretty impressive that I have , and now they came out with a 100 volt.. I really would like to try the chainsaw as it's a 20 in bar as some of the trees I was dropping  i had to cut from both sides as the bar wasnt long enough.

Screenshot_20190727-073231_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c68f5991c9cd7e83b5292e4b6277913e.jpgScreenshot_20190727-073332_Chrome.thumb.jpg.058f65c40217db90518179a27e11f938.jpgScreenshot_20190727-073151_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2f14b820ba899917cb59247f2d6a0fc0.jpg

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, G-Man said:

I have 3 batteries that are all the same one for each cordless tool I. Have ir so they all work interchangeably.  Clear shooting lanes with pole saw , quiet and quick, and clear trails with chainsaw, as well as dropped many trees over the winter. Love the fact its quiet, no gas stench to leave or get on me.   The snow blower clears walk way and elevated deck as well as cleans off pond for ice skating and hockey.  

Sun joe/ snow Joe have a 20volt system (decent bunch of guys bought the 20volt pole saws after using my 40volt) 

A 40 volt system that is pretty impressive that I have , and now they came out with a 100 volt.. I really would like to try the chainsaw as it's a 20 in bar as some of the trees I was dropping  i had to cut from both sides as the bar wasnt long enough.

Screenshot_20190727-073231_Chrome.thumb.jpg.c68f5991c9cd7e83b5292e4b6277913e.jpgScreenshot_20190727-073332_Chrome.thumb.jpg.058f65c40217db90518179a27e11f938.jpgScreenshot_20190727-073151_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2f14b820ba899917cb59247f2d6a0fc0.jpg

I got the worx brand they  have a whole line of cordless all working on the same battery 1 battery for all there tools . It had the best reviews on Amazon.  So far I'm impressed 

https://www.worx.com/20v-powershare-tools.html 

Gas tools are great but if you don't use them often they can be a nightmare to get started when cold . Plugs carb get messed up .

And now I don't have to worry about my annoying neighbor complaining about noise.

Edited by Hunter007

I got burned by ryobi once on a cordless drill. It's the one tool brand I'll never own . For power tools I've had great luck with ridgid. 

For lawn tools, its gas all the way ,stihl and echo brand weed whackers, chain saws , trimmers and leaf blowers . I use non ethanol gas and most times all start on 2nd or 3rd pull.

Snow blower no way on cordless , big gasser ariens .

Biz works  In NYC so no he is not a gardener at least not anymore,   but I know he likes doing his own yard work around his house.  

Hire me for all your landscape needs.

I used to have hedgerow like that. I bought long extension pole that you can put in 90 degree angle to cut tops perfectly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

9 hours ago, XGX7PM said:

ł have a bunch of Ryobi tools.

They work great for me.

Same, the new 18V plus tools have all been good for me.  I just got the straight shaft 18V weed trimmer, and it does my whole yard on a full battery.  The string head design they have works really well too.  No complaints here.

Techtronics or "TTI" manufactures Ryobi, Milwaukee, Homelite and a bunch of others....many of the products are done in the same facilities or possibly on the same production lines.

Edited by loworange88

If your kid has one of those battery operated cars, like the Jeep, or pink Barbie car, that they ride around the yard in you’ll like this .

Theres a guy on the net that makes custom plugs, so you can run your tool batteries in the car , be warned , it really speeds them up .

Edited by BeIo
  • Like 2

On 7/27/2019 at 9:27 AM, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Hire me for all your landscape needs.

I used to have hedgerow like that. I bought long extension pole that you can put in 90 degree angle to cut tops perfectly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea I need one of those to get to the tops of those bushes 

I took your advice and used my chainsaw to cut that crazy looking tree  that was in the middle of the hill 

20190728_100143.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/27/2019 at 9:33 AM, BeIo said:

If your kid has one of those battery operated cars, like the Jeep, or pink Barbie car, that they ride around the yard in you’ll like this .

Theres a guy on the net that makes custom plugs, so you can run your tool batteries in the car , be warned , it really speeds them up .

Treeguy gave me a jeep for archer , i cut the factory end off and replaced with spade connectors and use my dewalt 18v batteries in it . It doesn't go anywhere due to excessive wheel spin ,now i have to upgrade the wheels .  

• Like 2

i have a cordless craftsman hedge trimmer and leaf blower. the trimmer is great and the leaf blower is solid for paved surfaces and quick little jobs like blowing off the deck or garage. i'm not so sure I'd go battery for chainsaw or anything where real power is needed.