Starting to get the itch

Swamp_bucks

Me and my brother took a trip up to the hunting property in madison county to see what we wanted to change stands wise.  Ended up putting in 2 ground blinds so we can take up the kids, moved a ladder stand.  Still have to go back and replace the ladder stand we moved with a double ladder and possibly adding another single ladder or a hangon in a pasture they keep sneaking through.  Lease owners did say they have seen 2 different piebalds in the last week.  So im hoping to see one this year.  

First year in 3 years me and my brother are hunting together and actually getting along. But it will probably be my last in the woods with my dad.  His dementia is getting bad quickly and dont think he has much time left to enjoy hunting.  So we are trying to get him one last deer.

• Like 10

At 63 years old, many of my old hunting companions are gone or can no longer hunt.  Most of the other guys I've hunted with are now in their 60's or 70's and have lost the passion for it.  They beg off my invitations to hunt my land every year. 

Only my one buddy still comes to camp to hunt each opening day.  He loves it, but sadly isn't very good at it.  He does his best every year, but is far from an accomplished hunter.  No matter how well I set him up, he always seems to have difficulty getting a buck, or even a doe when he has a doe permit.  He's 65, out of shape, wears glasses, has hearing loss and isn't a very good shot, but he truly loves to be in the deer woods with his Marlin .30-30 and is happy to do whatever work needs to be done.  He was born and raised in Brooklyn and loves the peacefulness of the mountains because of it.  Got to love the guy.  He does enhance the quality of deer camp, in spite of his limits. 

Last season I gave him Bushnell Perma Focus 10x42 Roof Prism Binoculars as a gift and advised him how to use them.  No focusing required and simple to use.  He felt like he had entered a whole new level in the deer hunting world after using them only one day. :sungum:

I really find it sad few of the younger folks I know want to hunt.  When I was young, I prayed for invitations to hunt deer at someone's deer camp.  Today, young guys don't relish the opportunity to hunt at my camp when they could.  The times have surely changed, and I fear it's not for the better.

That being said, I still have the passion and get the itch to hunt deer every fall, even if I do hunt by myself.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Good luck Swamp.  Hope your Dad has a good hunting season. And am sure he just enjoys being out there with you.  

I also hunt Madison county in a couple places and saw a nice buck in one of the spots in a field a couple weeks ago.  Cams go up next weekend. 

Thanks ive seen some nice ones at my lease before just cant ever piece it together.  My biggest fight is the amish in that area kills everything with with gun starting from october on.

1 minute ago, Swamp_bucks said:

Thanks ive seen some nice ones at my lease before just cant ever piece it together.  My biggest fight is the amish in that area kills everything with with gun starting from october on.

Yeah heard an Amish guy in Madison county got caught with 7 hanging in the barn two years ago out near bouckville. 

Where I hunt in one spot in Oneida co always hearing that one, two shots right before dark.  It's not target shooting I am sure.  

17 minutes ago, Swamp_bucks said:

7m just south of hamilton. I tend to always get a doe tag or 2 for there.  Most of my other hunting is done in stateland in 7p.

Great area for sure!  My Dad used to hunt Sherburne years and years ago.  Farmer let him hunt there as long as he didn't shoot the piebald doe that was out there.  Well someone did and no one was allowed to hunt there anymore.  He got a bear there too.