Woodchuck Bait

Team Hoyt

i use a double open ended hav-a-hart trap with no bait. I set the trap and place it in a position where the groundhog coming out of it's hole has to go through the trap. I enclose the sides of the trap nearest the hole so there is only one way to go. when he come out of his hole...bingo...trapped. I then relocate it. they say there is only a 3% chance the critter will make it once relocated, but I figure that's better than a 0% chance with a bullet. I usually set trap in the morning and take it down at noon. the reason for this is if I catch him, I want him to have time to find a new place, dig a new hole, etc with hours to spare rather than releasing him with an hour of daylight left. I know bleeding heart I have, but don't like killing something for nothing or doing just what they do, or just because i can. Caught one under my barn just last week within an hour after setting the trap. Blocked 1 hole, set the trap on the other.

Bananas work pretty good in a box trap for woodchucks.   There was one burrowing under my wife's fancy new vinyl front porch a couple years ago, and it only took a couple days to get him with the box trap.   Fortunately, I can use guns here and have killed (2) in the last week, from the backdoor of the garage, with my Ruger 10/22.  The buzzards are tearing the last one apart as I type.    

4 hours ago, Engraver99 said:

i use a double open ended hav-a-hart trap with no bait. I set the trap and place it in a position where the groundhog coming out of it's hole has to go through the trap. I enclose the sides of the trap nearest the hole so there is only one way to go. when he come out of his hole...bingo...trapped. I then relocate it. they say there is only a 3% chance the critter will make it once relocated, but I figure that's better than a 0% chance with a bullet. I usually set trap in the morning and take it down at noon. the reason for this is if I catch him, I want him to have time to find a new place, dig a new hole, etc with hours to spare rather than releasing him with an hour of daylight left. I know bleeding heart I have, but don't like killing something for nothing or doing just what they do, or just because i can. Caught one under my barn just last week within an hour after setting the trap. Blocked 1 hole, set the trap on the other.

If you do "catch and release " you are creating a problem for someone else . Some people release them in the country and they become a farmer's problem . 

Melons work good for woodchuck bait . They give off a sweet odor . I bought some melon woodchuck liquid bait at Gander Mt years ago and put it on lettuce . That worked until I loaned the bottle to a friend who lost it . Small bottle cost $9 and they quit carrying the stuff . 

• Like 1

On 7/28/2019 at 5:07 PM, fasteddie said:

Melons work good for woodchuck bait . They give off a sweet odor . I bought some melon woodchuck liquid bait at Gander Mt years ago and put it on lettuce . That worked until I loaned the bottle to a friend who lost it . Small bottle cost $9 and they quit carrying the stuff . 

melons or cantaloupe are some go to baits.

• Like 1