Is it impolite to shoot your nieces pit bull ?

Nomad

Well I didn’t shoot it, largely because I left my gun locked in the car in her driveway ( never again ) . So she has a baptism party for her twins , about 40 of us in the backyard , kids playing the whole bit . Her dog comes up ,I let it smell my balled up ( I like to keep my fingers ) left hand , alls ok , I pet it no problems . A few minutes later it just runs up and chomps on my right calf wtf ! Couple minutes later I go into the house to wash out the wound , I come out of the bathroom, there it is again  , blocking me in the hall ,growling ,rearing back ,I figure round two is on and this seems worse .  I draw my folder while yelling , “ call this F@#king dog off !” , niece is in kitchen comes gets him, didn’t know I was in house , where they now put dog as party was outside . Then she says, “ ya he doesn’t like men...... “ 

From what I over hear, I may not have been it’s first victim . Not once in three more hours did her or her BF/ baby daddy ask if I was ok  let alone apologize , well when we left I got a brief are you ok ? Which is perhaps why we’re a bit estranged from a few on that side .

So shortly I’ll have a talk with her Mom ,my sister , that dog should not be around people let alone the new borns .

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

2 minutes ago, BeIo said:

Well I didn’t shoot it, largely because I left my gun locked in the car in her driveway ( never again ) . So she has a baptism party for her twins , about 40 of us in the backyard , kids playing the whole bit . Her dog comes up ,I let it smell my balled up ( I like to keep my fingers ) left hand , alls ok , I pet it no problems . A few minutes later it just runs up and chomps on my right calf wtf ! Couple minutes later I go into the house to wash out the wound , I come out of the bathroom, there it is again  , blocking me in the hall ,growling ,rearing back ,I figure round two is on and this seems worse .  I draw my folder while yelling , “ call this F@#king dog off !” , niece is in kitchen comes gets him, didn’t know I was in house , where they now put dog as party was outside . Then she says, “ ya he doesn’t like men...... “ 

From what I over hear, I may not have been it’s first victim . Not once in three more hours did her or her BF/ baby daddy ask if I was ok  let alone apologize , well when we left I got a brief are you ok ? Which is perhaps why we’re a bit estranged from a few on that side .

So shortly I’ll have a talk with her Mom ,my sister , that dog should not be around people let alone the new borns .

Hell you could almost get in trouble just joking about shooting a dog these days .

• Like 1

I get it. I prefer at this point due to it being my niece ,to try and bring about some compliance through the family . She has a number of  issues going on and I’d prefer to start there . Some random person, sure .

5 minutes ago, BeIo said:

I get it. I prefer at this point due to it being my niece ,to try and bring about some compliance through the family . She has a number of  issues going on and I’d prefer to start there . Some random person, sure .

Family member complicates things but things are gonna get a lot worse if that dog tears in to somebody . 

I would call the state child abuse hotline. Detail your experience and concerns regarding the critter around the kids. Child protective will investigate (in itself a royal PIA that I would never wish on anyone). If the kids are in danger, the mutt is toast.  You can remain anonymous from your family if you wish, as CP will not reveal the source of the complaint. Others at the party must have observed the dogs conduct, so any one of them could be the source.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I hate pitbulls and would never trust one around children. Come @ me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

X2! Got your back. 

Even if one has a good temperament why would you want a dog that can kill someone? Any dog can bite.  Why get one that people use for dog fighting?  Get a beagle! 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I hate pitbulls and would never trust one around children. Come @ me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My buddy has a couple ,the male is a sweetheart and very old ,he bought a female from a breeder and I trust her around people but there is that female dog thing going on that makes me weird around her ,mostly I wouldn't trust her around my dog more then anything. Theyre just so dangerous if not treated properly from day one ,it's like walking around with dynamite in one hand and a smoke in the other ,the potential is always there.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

X2! Got your back. 

Even if one has a good temperament why would you want a dog that can kill someone? Any dog can bite.  Why get one that people use for dog fighting?  Get a beagle! 

Get a beagle and clear your schedule when it gets loose and runs away. 

• Like 2

Sorry to hear this and hope you're OK Larry. If a dog owner knows their dog is aggressive, they should know better than to let the dog be around any guests, they may have over. Plain and simple. Put the dog in the basement, or lock it in a bedroom. Absolutely no excuse to be bitten at a family get together.

Not all pitties are dangerous. My sister had one when my nephew was little, and that was the most gentle dog around kids and people. Other dogs.....not so much. My nephew could sleep on him even. And never once in his whole life, did he as much as growl at someone he knew was supposed to be there.

But many times it's not that way with pits, or any aggressive breed. And I never trust one I don't know. I firmly believe if any dog bites someone, even one time, that dog is never to be trusted around anyone again. And if it bites twice, the the owner should be responsible enough to put the dog down! Most times, it's the owner who is responsible for the dog being that way in the first place.

• Like 4

Ya, the family part complicates things. Saying something to you sister or niece isn't going anywhere. Your niece is going to shrug it off and nothing will change. 

If it was me, and I didn't say anything to the authorities and someone else gets seriously injured, I'd feel partially responsible. 

Don't go to CPS route. That's just going to create some serious family turmoil.

Animal control, or local police would be your best bet. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, grampy said:

Sorry to hear this and hope you're OK Larry. If a dog owner knows their dog is aggressive, they should know better than to let the dog be around any guests, they may have over. Plain and simple. Put the dog in the basement, or lock it in a bedroom. Absolutely no excuse to be bitten at a family get together.

I agree.  She obviously knew the dog wasn't stable around men. Should never have been let loose during the party especially with people the dog doesn't know. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So she says up to date on shots, and has never bitten anyone prior . I’ll take that at face value . Did say it doesn’t like men and I agree with what most have posted ( I even have a beagle and have chased it in every backyard around here ) .

Gman the bite was hit and run, never saw it till I felt it, then it was gone just as fast . Its easy to draw and fire on a square range, quite another when your under attack , beer in one hand ,reaching over a table grabbing food with another . Had I had it on me it never would have prevented or ended the bite .

In the house , I was seeking an object to get between us, while fumbling to, draw and open my Spyderco ,while watching the dog, and calling for help , may not be as easy as one thinks .

The main reason I did get it after the second go round was, if it latched on to another , then I might have time .

Years ago when an unleashed pit attacked my Beagle, I did break my walking stick over its head, which broke off attack ( and the stick ) ,looked  like a Mexican standoff  , that time break did allow me to draw my .38 snub out of my coat pocket . That finally caused the owner to call his dog back ..... but during the actual attack good luck drawing and getting an aimed shot off .

Oh she got it from someone in the city who kept it in the basement ....

When I worked for the city ,I’d see pits with weights tied  around their necks,  and ones hanging by their mouths from towels tied to tree branches . 

Edited by BeIo

People come at me, I do not give a sh--..........  Pitbulls should be illegal and I can not believe there are only a handful of  states where they are illegal....... I have seen the destruction these dogs cause firsthand....  I really sick of hearing pitbulls are misunderstood........ I know years ago they were at least talking about an extra umbrella clause insurance you had to cover if you had one but I guess that never went through......

Do not think twice against shooting that dog if it is a danger to kids.......  neighbors kid played with a pitbull next door 100s of times until one day the dog was in weird mood and just latchedon to kids face.........   well 10 years later and like 6 surgeries  the poor kids face is ruined.....  

• Sad 1

A certified letter to her advising of the attack.  Keep a copy for yourself. Dogs get “one free bite”. You need to put her on notice of the dogs vicious propensities. God forbid someone else is attacked and injured, she has actual notice and opens the door for liability for someone’s injuries. I appreciate the family situation. You can say it in a letter as “concern” for her children. If asked why a letter, just say you fo not want the discusdion to turn  argumentative. 

Chester my beagle just growled at my X. Hehe.

I hate pitbulls, my friend has a pit beagle mix and he is great with me but if he gets scared he will nip. He has gotten his owner a couple times. I wouldn't put up with it. Look at his face aww....

Elvis the hound

Screenshot_20190728-172732.png

• Like 2