Is it impolite to shoot your nieces pit bull ?

Nomad

I have no patience with  aggressive dogs NOR their owners...

I have been bitten perhaps seven times over the last 60 years or so..

I had a Weimaraner that  for some reason  ( he was  several months old when I got him)  was very aggressive towards children...

Beautiful dog, but when he nipped my neighbor's young son , he went away very quickly....

• Like 3

Do not like them at all. I remember when i was a kid a friend and i were riding our bikes and a neighbors pit came out and tore a chunk out of the back of the kids arm.could see fat pieces hanging from his arm!!after a surgery or two and skin graphs.........cant stand aggressive dogs and pit's especially!

Pitbull or any other breed,these scared biters are the worst. I know exactly what you are talking about,you almost dont even know the dog bit you till after the fact. I had a friggin little poodle bite me at a customers house while she was right there. That poodle was lucky,because i would have drop kicked it hard,maybe i should have anyway. The owner never apologized,and that little turd bit hard,though nothing like a pitbull. 

I agree with people that something should be done about that dog,you cant trust one like that.

I have never been bit by a dog, but I did have a couple of close calls.   When I was about 14 years old, a neighbor had a real mean one that would chase kids on bikes, when they rode past his house.  I found a hot spot for trapping muskrats, that was past his house, and that dog chased me four times.  The first three times, I peddled as fast as I could and got safely past him.   On my way home the third time, I maintained a steady, maybe even a bit of a slow pace, which allowed the ornery mutt to quickly close the distance.  One little adjustment on the nose with the dull side of a hatchet, and it never chased another kid.  I did not hit it hard enough to kill it, but it made a loud yelp when that blow came down on it's head. 

The last time was about 10 years ago.   I was sitting in a ground blind in late afternoon on the last weekend of gun season.   I have never had good luck with posted signs, but at the urging of my wife, I put some up that year.   Apparently, that was enough to make a couple of women down the road feel safe walking their dogs down our neatly trimmed trails.   They had a little dog on a leash and a big German-shepard type free-ranging about 50 yards ahead of them.  I watched them, from a camoflaged blind, cross over our bridge and make their way towards my position.  When the big dog caught my scent, he charged towards the back of my blind, growling and drooling.  I touched off a 12 gauge sabot, with the muzzle inches from his ears (somehow I "missed").  The report was enough to scare him sensless, and yipping his way back to his owners.   

The bottom line is, if you have access to a weapon, use it, otherwise others will have to deal with the problem later.  How are you going to feel when that dog takes a bite out of some kid's (or old guy's) face ?    Killing the animal might not be the best thing to do, but maiming it or "deafening" it has worked very well for me.   Yelling at it, sending letters, etc is just pansy ass crap that will not do anybody any good.        

Years ago walking our then golden retriever puppy ( now 8 years old ) a guy across a side street had 2 pit bulls on chains as leashes    I mean thick link chain   Those dogs got on rear legs practically pulling the guy across the street towards us. .32 tomcat in front pocket , I thumbed back the hammer discreetly and yelled those dogs better stay right there.  They wanted blood , my dog for sure. Closest I’ve ever come to a full draw of a handgun.  

• Like 2

Well I didn’t shoot it, largely because I left my gun locked in the car in her driveway ( never again ) . So she has a baptism party for her twins , about 40 of us in the backyard , kids playing the whole bit . Her dog comes up ,I let it smell my balled up ( I like to keep my fingers ) left hand , alls ok , I pet it no problems . A few minutes later it just runs up and chomps on my right calf wtf ! Couple minutes later I go into the house to wash out the wound , I come out of the bathroom, there it is again  , blocking me in the hall ,growling ,rearing back ,I figure round two is on and this seems worse .  I draw my folder while yelling , “ call this F@#king dog off !” , niece is in kitchen comes gets him, didn’t know I was in house , where they now put dog as party was outside . Then she says, “ ya he doesn’t like men...... “ 
From what I over hear, I may not have been it’s first victim . Not once in three more hours did her or her BF/ baby daddy ask if I was ok  let alone apologize , well when we left I got a brief are you ok ? Which is perhaps why we’re a bit estranged from a few on that side .
So shortly I’ll have a talk with her Mom ,my sister , that dog should not be around people let alone the new borns .
10000% would have blown his head off. You bite me or my kids (don't have any yet) you eat lead next

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

X2! Got your back. 
Even if one has a good temperament why would you want a dog that can kill someone? Any dog can bite.  Why get one that people use for dog fighting?  Get a beagle! 
-10000 internets for suggesting a rat dog such as a beagle

12 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

-10000 internets for suggesting a rat dog such as a beagle

Beagles are probably the cutest dog breed known to man ! Unfortunately their nose runs the show .  

• Like 1

Beagles are probably the cutest dog breed known to man ! Unfortunately their nose runs the show .  
My personal favorite is beautiful Norwegian Golden Retrievers and other large breed dogs. I want a dog I can roughhouse with and can wrestle without worrying I'm gonna hurt it. Also I personally consider any dog that can be killed and or eaten by a bird not to be a dog but rather an oversized rat

11 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

My personal favorite is beautiful Norwegian Golden Retrievers and other large breed dogs. I want a dog I can roughhouse with and can wrestle without worrying I'm gonna hurt it. Also I personally consider any dog that can be killed and or eaten by a bird not to be a dog but rather an oversized rat

I've always had mutts in 60ish pound range , they seem to live the longest ,i had one pure bred lab and ill never do that again ,nothing but health problems til the day we put him down at 2 years old.  

I've always had mutts in 60ish pound range , they seem to live the longest ,i had one pure bred lab and ill never do that again ,nothing but health problems til the day we put him down at 2 years old.  
That's very sad. Nothing worse than anything (animal, or human or otherwise) going way before it's time should be

Sorry BELO, but your niece is an idiot. Having any breed of dog running among the ~40 guests that has known aggression towards specific (males) people and not anticipating problems is just ... insane! There's a whole other debate or discussion about packing a sidearm at a family get-together and possibly firing a shot at the attacking dog in a crowd, if the opportunity ....

Lot of history about pitbulls over the past couple of centuries, mainly human's intentionally breeding them to be aggressive and fighting dogs. Like any other breed in this guard, attack or fighting category, they will obviously be some that the instinct to attack can never be trained out of them completely. Rotties, Sheperds, Dobermans, etc. Love em or hate em, we've made them what they are!

JMO, most dog bite attacks are from the ankle-bitter small dogs, they just aren't reported or as extreme as Pitbull encounters. Any one adopting a potentially aggressive dog (any breed) that thinks they're also getting the macho-dog owner label soon realizes they can NOT handle them. Humane shelters are full of Pit and Pit-mix dogs the owners were forced to give up. Not the ideal choice for a family dog!!!! Not to mention many of these breeds are on the insurance institute's no policy available list if they are in the home.

Edited by nyslowhand
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Years ago walking our then golden retriever puppy ( now 8 years old ) a guy across a side street had 2 pit bulls on chains as leashes    I mean thick link chain   Those dogs got on rear legs practically pulling the guy across the street towards us. .32 tomcat in front pocket , I thumbed back the hammer discreetly and yelled those dogs better stay right there.  They wanted blood , my dog for sure. Closest I’ve ever come to a full draw of a handgun.  

wished i was carrying for a minute or two this summer.  I walk my dog most nights down our road after work.  house down the road has a pitbull and it was loose.  This has happened twice now - the dog come racing at mine - the first time he got to him and like tried to run him over and Charlie turned to nip at him, the second time i picked him up before the dog could get there.  I am prob the easiest going guy in the world until i am not and i tore into the people there.  Told them if that dog makes it to the road again thats where it will die next time.  Idiots - have a LOOSE pitbull.  The dog followed us down the road while i am trying to hold charlie who wants to go after him cause obviously he knows the dog is after him.  Two more houses along the road have pits and one of them hits himself against the window he wants to get to us so bad when we walk down the road.  Yup carrying.   But like others said all that happens so fast that my boot is most likely to be the first encounter.   

My buddies wife works at Verona beach state park and there was a loose pitbull running thru the park basically running over and into the other dogs and they had to call the police.  Am guessing its the same idiot.  Havent seen the dog since. 

21 hours ago, BeIo said:

Well I didn’t shoot it, largely because I left my gun locked in the car in her driveway ( never again ) . So she has a baptism party for her twins , about 40 of us in the backyard , kids playing the whole bit . Her dog comes up ,I let it smell my balled up ( I like to keep my fingers ) left hand , alls ok , I pet it no problems . A few minutes later it just runs up and chomps on my right calf wtf ! Couple minutes later I go into the house to wash out the wound , I come out of the bathroom, there it is again  , blocking me in the hall ,growling ,rearing back ,I figure round two is on and this seems worse .  I draw my folder while yelling , “ call this F@#king dog off !” , niece is in kitchen comes gets him, didn’t know I was in house , where they now put dog as party was outside . Then she says, “ ya he doesn’t like men...... “ 

From what I over hear, I may not have been it’s first victim . Not once in three more hours did her or her BF/ baby daddy ask if I was ok  let alone apologize , well when we left I got a brief are you ok ? Which is perhaps why we’re a bit estranged from a few on that side .

So shortly I’ll have a talk with her Mom ,my sister , that dog should not be around people let alone the new borns .

I have a neighbor/friend that owns a pit mix. This is the sneakiest dog I have ever been around. It has bit two people already. when ever I have to go over to the house I drive and talk to him out the window of the truck. He has invited me in to the house and I decline. He finally asked why I wasn't getting out of the truck and I told him point blank that his dog is dangerous and I like our friendship and peace in the neighborhood to much to risk loosing it, becasue if the dog bit me or one of my family I would shoot the damned thing and wouldn't care if it was right in front of him, his wife or grand kids. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, nyslowhand said:

JMO, most dog bite attacks are from the ankle-bitter small dogs, they just aren't reported or as extreme as Pitbull encounters. Any one adopting a potentially aggressive dog (any breed) that thinks they're also getting the macho-dog owner label soon realizes they can NOT handle them. Humane shelters are full of Pit and Pit-mix dogs the owners were forced to give up. Not the ideal choice for a family dog!!!! Not to mention many of these breeds are on the insurance institute's no policy available list if they are in the home.

I've been bit 3 time by different dogs. one was a collie and the other 2 were cocker spaniels. The last cocker was my buddies mother in law. We were delivering her a couple fence sections becasue I had a truck. FIrst time I had met her.  the little laso opso or some ankle bite breed came right at me barking in the back yard while we had the fence section above our heads carrying it. The freaking cocker came around behind me and never made a sound. He bit me right in the calf.  I dropped the fence section and chased that dog right into her house. It ran hiding behind a couch an if I could have gotten my hands on it I would have strangled it right there. She has the nerve to say that she was surprised it was the cocker that bit me because she never bit anyone before "usually it's the other one" 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BeIo said:

I get it. I prefer at this point due to it being my niece ,to try and bring about some compliance through the family . She has a number of  issues going on and I’d prefer to start there . Some random person, sure .

this is the right approach. A lot of people act like calling animal control on family is no big deal, when it very much is. I think, as others have said, the biggest concern is that taking action now might prevent tragedy later.

And unfortunately it doesn't surprise me that someone who is unapologetic about their dog, would allow a dog like this to be around a newborn in the first place. Hope the baby daddy situation is a good one :(

Edited by Pigmy
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

my sister just had a similar experience in the city of rochester where she lives. walking her fluffy little pomapoo or whatever and a group of college kids have a pit that basically busted through a fence to get her dog in its mouth but for the grace of god stopped. animal control was called again apparently on this dog but now she feels weird because the house with 6 african american college males know it was her who called. She's single btw. 

sometimes there's no winning. 

3 minutes ago, left field said:

I'm sure you know this but keep that bite as clean as possible and exposed to the air. Infection is a real possibility. 

+1.  I'm not one to run to a doctor for the smallest of things, but you definitely need to be careful with animal bites.

I was just watching a show the other day about pitbulls and how they are banned in many cities like Denver.  It was really supportive of the pits explaining that their incidents of biting are no greater than other dogs.  It really depends on how any dog is raised and then you just have some bad apples regardless of breed.  I suppose the strength of the pits makes them more scary. 

I was bitten in the face at 5yrs old by a shepherd.  I now own one and she is sweet.  Who would guess.  But any dog that has known aggressive tendencies should be treated as such and not allowed by the owner to be around people.  Surprisingly, the show said that the most reported bites each year come from golden retrievers.  Now maybe there are just a lot more around.  Not sure.

As for Belo, I have no good advice other then perhaps a talk with your niece.  Glad to hear it wasn't serious.

I was just watching a show the other day about pitbulls and how they are banned in many cities like Denver.  It was really supportive of the pits explaining that their incidents of biting are no greater than other dogs.  It really depends on how any dog is raised and then you just have some bad apples regardless of breed.  I suppose the strength of the pits makes them more scary. 
I was bitten in the face at 5yrs old by a shepherd.  I now own one and she is sweet.  Who would guess.  But any dog that has known aggressive tendencies should be treated as such and not allowed by the owner to be around people.  Surprisingly, the show said that the most reported bites each year come from golden retrievers.  Now maybe there are just a lot more around.  Not sure.
As for Belo, I have no good advice other then perhaps a talk with your niece.  Glad to hear it wasn't serious.
But the biggest difference between a golden bite and a pit bite is you'd have to shoot the pit to let go. Plus the bite force from a pit is far greater than any golden not to mention the teeth. Golden's have very "soft" mouths. But I also support someone's right to own a pit. For me however I would never because I'd always be waiting for the day I'd have to pull a gun on it and that's just not any way I'd want to live my life with a family pet

• Like 1

Without going too far down this road, pitbulls are no more likely to attack a person than any other breed. Some argue less, in fact. But they are a powerful and tenacious breed that can deliver a devastating bite.

Poorly bred pits in the hands of irresponsible owners who relish their "tough dog" rep are a disaster wating to happen.

When I trained protection dogs I was probably bitten in a suit by hundreds of dogs from a variety of breeds (and a few without a suit - one that cost me a tooth and stitches in my face) and the hardest biting dog was a GSD. Size, muzzle length and a German breeding approach made for a damn hard dog. The dogs I feared were Dutch Shepherd/Malinois/whatever crosses coming out of the KNPV system. They were unpredictable and as hard as nails. A friend imported one that took off three fingers when he tried to feed it. Pitbulls were easy. 

Not saying this is the same situation, but there are many times where I would want a dog to warn, confront and attack a person. I want to be fair to the dogs that bite.

This sounds like irresponsible ownership. The owner needs to be spoken to with the family present. If the dog is truly uncontrollable then they need to secure it at all times or find someone who can safely handle it.

Good luck.

Edited by left field