Is it impolite to shoot your nieces pit bull ?

Nomad

5 minutes ago, left field said:

Without going too far down this road, pitbulls are no more likely to attack a person than any other breed. Some argue less, in fact. But they are a powerful and tenacious breed that can deliver a devastating bite.

Poorly bred pits in the hands of irresponsible owners who relish their "tough dog" rep are a disaster wating to happen.

When I trained protection dogs I was probably bitten in a suit by hundreds of dogs from a variety of breeds (and a few without a suit - one that cost me a tooth and stitches in my face) and the hardest biting dog was a GSD. Size, muzzle length and a German breeding approach made for a damn hard dog. The dogs I feared were Dutch Shepherd/Malinois/whatever crosses coming out of the KNPV system. They were unpredictable and as hard as nails. A friend imported one that took off three fingers when he tried to feed it. Pitbulls were easy. 

Not saying this is the same situation, but there are many times where I would want a dog to warn, confront and attack a person. I want to be fair to the dogs that bite.

This sounds like irresponsible ownership. The owner needs to be spoken to with the family present. If the dog is truly uncontrollable then they need to secure it at all times or find someone who can safely handle it.

Good luck.

Shepherds were the other dog mentioned as being prohibited in some areas or dog parks.  Honestly, my shepherd is the smartest dog I have ever owned by far.  And like I said, very sweet (although will sound like a killer if another dog walks in front of the house).  Even that, we have pretty much trained out of her with little effort - just a constant stern NO when she starts.  When we are home and a dog goes by, now she just whines at the window a bit like "I should be barking".  I suspect she goes crazy when we aren't home though.

15 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Shepherds were the other dog mentioned as being prohibited in some areas or dog parks.  Honestly, my shepherd is the smartest dog I have ever owned by far.  And like I said, very sweet (although will sound like a killer if another dog walks in front of the house).  Even that, we have pretty much trained out of her with little effort - just a constant stern NO when she starts.  When we are home and a dog goes by, now she just whines at the window a bit like "I should be barking".  I suspect she goes crazy when we aren't home though.

We have a half Shepard half hound dog ,that dog is crazy smart . Super good guard dog ,that dog is always working unless I close him in the bedroom with us at night.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

We have a half Shepard half hound dog ,that dog is crazy smart . Super good guard dog ,that dog is always working unless I close him in the bedroom with us at night.

Yep - if she aint sitting with me, she is working.  She even ensures that the cats don't go outside.  One cat is smart enough to jump up and pull on the lever door handle to go outside - which we don't want.  If I see kiki jump up and run to the door, I know she just pushed the cat away from it and sure enough that cat will be waiting with kiki between him and an open door.  lol

Sorry  - way off subject.

• Like 3

My MiL had a pit.  Sweetest dog you'll come across.  We said she was the worst guard dog because all you have to do was give her a good belly rub and you're free to take everything.  Call me racist or whatevers but pits get their reputation because many of the type of people who love having pits are also they types that makes the worst owners.  You look at the shelters and tell me how many pit bulls are available for adoption compared to any other breed.  I assure you pits out number all other breeds 3 to 1.  Why is that?  Irresponsible owners plain and simple.  Pits by themselves, when raised correctly are not more aggressive than any other breed.  Heck, there are several breeds that are even more aggressive than pits.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

We have trained her that anyone from downstate is a danger and should be met with her full force!

I've seen kiki is good with capital region guys though!  I wonder if it's just CERTAIN downstate guys......hehehe.

She is a good girl for sure. Can shoot bows in your basement and she is right there for a scratch behind the ear, but knows to stay when shooting! 

Edited by grampy
  • Like 1

My last dog passed away from health problems as well at 8 years old.  Pure breed.  Right now, with 2 young kids, it's hard to get another dog but eventually I will and will look into a mutt.  I thought of adoption but man, you simply don't know the dogs history.

I watched a comedian once joke about it.  He said the dog can be the nicest dog ever.  You could one day innocently go to turn on your radiator because its cold and coincidentally the dog's previous owner could have chained to a radiator and beat him.  The dog at that moment could decide "Oh no, not again.  Not no more.  It ends TODAY!"  The crowd laughed at the joke but as I thought about it, it is so true.  As the case her with your nieces dog who was locked in a basement.

Next dog for me will be a mutt and has to be a new born so that I can control it's history.

• Like 2

Wife has been vet and worked at a vets office for many years :

her personal least 5  trustworthy in office visits:

German Shepherd 1)  Rottweiler 2) Sharpei 3 ) Chows 4) shiba inu 5)

but labs and goldens not trustworthy around food

Most trustworthy:

Goldens /king Charles spaniel/labs/bulldogs/pugs

She often defends Pitbulls in my discussion of despise for them

Edited by turkeyfeathers

A well-bred Border Collie should turn on around sheep.

A well-bred Patterdale shouldn't hesitate to tear through the dirt and wood to get at vermin.

A well-bred Anatolin should throw itself at a wolf or unknown person near it's flock.

A well-bred pitbull should be dog aggressive. 

These dogs have been selected and bred for these traits. We have a responsibility to consider, develop, control and above all be aware of what we're taking on when we decide to raise a specific breed of dog. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I don't understand that sentence Elmo. A dog left by itself would normally have the genetic tendencies on full display. It is training that utilizes or suppresses those tendencies.  

"By themselves" not in a literal sense.  "By themselves" meaning their genetic makeup alone with no other factors in play.

About a month ago, as I was getting off a bus, I got bit on my hip by a dog.  I walked pass this lady who was standing there with I'm guessing her daughter with the dog on a leash.  Looked like a border collie mix of some sort.  The dog hit my right when I walked passed them.  hit my from a 4 o clock angle.  The dog miss timed it's bit and couldn't get a latch on my hip.  I turned around and saw that the dog was wagging it's tail and I looked at my slacks and there was no rip.  The mom and daughter looked stunned, yelled at the dog, and then was approaching me to apologize.  I told them no harm no foul and turned to walk away because I was in a rush to get home.  Had to relieve the wife of kid duties because she had to be some where.  Then I hear a old lady scream in pain.  I turned back around to see an old lady leaning on a bench, her hands cupped around her hip (same spot as mine) and the dog again, wagging it's tail in excitement.  That lady was not as kind as I was.  She was yelling at the lady, saying "you don't know how dangerous your dog is" and was calling the cops.  I never found out the results of incidence.  When I got home, I had a nice big red mark on my hip.

39 minutes ago, Elmo said:

"By themselves" not in a literal sense.  "By themselves" meaning their genetic makeup alone with no other factors in play.

I know some friends  and relatives that have pit mixes. we don't see eye to eye on the dogs. Aggressive breeds were bred to be just that. They are predisposed to be aggressive. They are more likely to be aggressive. Just becasue a wolf is called a sheep, it's still a wolf.  They do get more press than small dogs becasue when they go bad it is usually really bad. 

I will say that I trust small dogs far less than large ones. I also don't trust breeds that were subjected to such irresponsible breeding. To me Poodles are a prime example. I have never met a standard poodle that gave me pause. Then humans continued their breeding manipulation for their "size" and the miniatures and toys are an abomination in many cases. Their temperament sucks in general becasue they weren't bred for that.  Golden retrievers and Irish setters suffered from the irresponsibility as well but that manifested in physical issues like bad hips. 

Here we go I am reading through and there is always a few people kind of defending pits....  It is mind boggling...  If a golden retriever or other dogs nip you you may have to get a few stitches......  when a pit bites you could die..........  Look it up.........   in the last 20 years pits have caused more than 95 percent of deaths.....  Mostly to children...   case closed ...Those dogs suck and should be illegal

• Like 1

Pitbulls are dangerous, I don't disagree.  But it's odd that Rottweilers, German Sheppard's, Serbian Sheepdogs, Doberman Pinchers, or Bull Mastiffs don't get the same amount of attention.  Their bites don't do damage?  I mean the Rhodesian Ridgebacks was breed to hunt African Lions but no one seems to be all that afraid of them.  Maybe because they're expensive and anyone who is willing to pay for one is more likely to be a little more responsible instead of some hoodlum walking them with chains and padlocks on their necks?

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I know some friends  and relatives that have pit mixes. we don't see eye to eye on the dogs. Aggressive breeds were bred to be just that. They are predisposed to be aggressive. They are more likely to be aggressive. Just becasue a wolf is called a sheep, it's still a wolf.  They do get more press than small dogs becasue when they go bad it is usually really bad. 

I will say that I trust small dogs far less than large ones. I also don't trust breeds that were subjected to such irresponsible breeding. To me Poodles are a prime example. I have never met a standard poodle that gave me pause. Then humans continued their breeding manipulation for their "size" and the miniatures and toys are an abomination in many cases. Their temperament sucks in general becasue they weren't bred for that.  Golden retrievers and Irish setters suffered from the irresponsibility as well but that manifested in physical issues like bad hips. 

Oh, man, this will go south quickly.

Aggressive to what? A good Jack Russell is aggressive as hell to rats. A good Akbash is aggressive to strangers. A good pitbull is aggressive to dogs.

Now, the JRT is operating in prey drive mostly, the Akbash in defense and the pitbull in fight drive. They all shift easily between those drives but those are the prime motivators that allow them to do their job. So, the JRT will not give up until the rat is dead > prey. The Akbash will drive the threat off then return to the flock > defense. The pit will fight until it cannot overcome the challenge then flip to defense at which point the fight is ended > fight.

Pits get press for a variety of reasons. Small, tenacious and "fearless" dogs appeal to a lot of people. Others love a born fighter. For some it could be historical pride.

image.png.fad16c79e36ef1215966ef0c43314b81.png

I like the breed. Always will, though my interests go to gun dogs these days.

Here's the thing about dogs - a lot of people shouldn't be allowed to own them. Or drive for that matter. Or have kids. Or guns. But, you know ... freedom.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Elmo said:

Pitbulls are dangerous, I don't disagree.  But it's odd that Rottweilers, German Sheppard's, Serbian Sheepdogs, Doberman Pinchers, or Bull Mastiffs don't get the same amount of attention.  Their bites don't do damage?  I mean the Rhodesian Ridgebacks was breed to hunt African Lions but no one seems to be all that afraid of them.  Maybe because they're expensive and anyone who is willing to pay for one is more likely to be a little more responsible instead of some hoodlum walking them with chains and padlocks on their necks?

I asked the same question to my buddy who is a cop and has one of those K-9 dogs...  he was told by trainer that the other dogs mentioned especially shepherds are highly intelligent compared to a pit...  Not sure what to believe but it could make sense.......

4 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Wife has been vet and worked at a vets office for many years :

Most trustworthy:

Goldens /king Charles spaniel/labs/bulldogs/pugs

Love king Charles spaniel. Had two of em.  Best lap dog ever.  

6 minutes ago, cbyzerman said:

I asked the same question to my buddy who is a cop and has one of those K-9 dogs...  he was told by trainer that the other dogs mentioned especially shepherds are highly intelligent compared to a pit...  Not sure what to believe but it could make sense.......

Was the guy selling him a shepherd? Intelligence is a difficult thing to identify in dogs. Tractability is better but even that falls short.

4 minutes ago, Hunter007 said:

I don't get  it with all the breeds of dogs out there why get the one most wired to go nuts   and be a killer  or biter of people ?

Which breed is wired to go nuts? Under what circumstances? 

But if you're point is that most people shouldn't keep pits. I concur. Or own Labs unless they duck hunt. Huskies unless they sled. Greyhounds unless they course. 

Donald McCaig, a sheep dog trainer, competitor and author, once said that it is the height of cruelty to keep a border collie as a pet.

• Like 1