Is it impolite to shoot your nieces pit bull ?

Nomad

17 minutes ago, mowin said:

Love king Charles spaniel. Had two of em.  Best lap dog ever.  

There's some evidence that suggests the descriptor "lap dog" was coined for what these small dogs did when the ladies of leisure were alone with them.

Anyway, I don't feel like defending pitbulls all night so I'll bow out and leave you with a quote from the great Groucho Marx ~

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's just too dark to read."

Edited by left field
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, left field said:

Was the guy selling him a shepherd? Intelligence is a difficult thing to identify in dogs. Tractability is better but even that falls short.

Which breed is wired to go nuts? Under what circumstances? 

But if you're point is that most people shouldn't keep pits. I concur. Or own Labs unless they duck hunt. Huskies unless they sled. Greyhounds unless they course. 

Donald McCaig, a sheep dog trainer, competitor and author, once said that it is the height of cruelty to keep a border collie as a pet.

Exactly  get the breed that is bread to do what you want it to do want to bird hunt get a bird dog want a  family pet get the breeds that are known for making the best family pet . Not one known for being used to fight !! 

Edited by Hunter007

49 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Daughter already said she's getting one and a golden retriever when out on her own

There fantastic dogs, but have a shorter life expectancy, 8-9 yrs.  Heart problems are also common.  My female died at 7.5 yrs from heart issues. My male passed last December at a rare 13 yrs.  

55 minutes ago, left field said:

T

Anyway, I don't feel like defending pitbulls all night so I'll bow out and leave you with a quote from the great Groucho Marx ~

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's just too dark to read."

I had that on a t-shirt years ago

I agree Pits get a bad rap mainly due to ownership issues. But ... there is a certain amount of inherent aggressiveness bred into them that's not suitable for every prospective dog owner &/or situation.

If you're going to adopt/own a dog, you need to be the Alpha in that relationship, NOT the mommy, daddy or an equal.  Clearly, there will be a lot of love & companionship involved, but you still need to be the "leader of the pack". This air of confidence carries over to dog encounters as well, to a point!

Never trust a small, lap-dog or what the owner says about its' disposition. They've been conditioned to encourage cuddling, affection, treats and anyone threatening that relationship with its' mommy/daddy is confronted by the dog. 

Just when I think I've learnt a lot about dogs and their behavior over the years, I'm baffled by the LE K9 scenario. Protective, aggressive & attack dog during its' day job, then flip the switch & it becomes a loyal, loving family dog when off-duty. Baffling...Amazing!

21 hours ago, moog5050 said:

I was just watching a show the other day about pitbulls and how they are banned in many cities like Denver.  It was really supportive of the pits explaining that their incidents of biting are no greater than other dogs.  It really depends on how any dog is raised and then you just have some bad apples regardless of breed.  I suppose the strength of the pits makes them more scary. 

I was bitten in the face at 5yrs old by a shepherd.  I now own one and she is sweet.  Who would guess.  But any dog that has known aggressive tendencies should be treated as such and not allowed by the owner to be around people.  Surprisingly, the show said that the most reported bites each year come from golden retrievers.  Now maybe there are just a lot more around.  Not sure.

As for Belo, I have no good advice other then perhaps a talk with your niece.  Glad to hear it wasn't serious.

yeah a bite from a terrier is one thing. a bite from a pit with a locking jaw is another. not all bites are created equal.

16 hours ago, Elmo said:

Pitbulls are dangerous, I don't disagree.  But it's odd that Rottweilers, German Sheppard's, Serbian Sheepdogs, Doberman Pinchers, or Bull Mastiffs don't get the same amount of attention.  Their bites don't do damage?  I mean the Rhodesian Ridgebacks was breed to hunt African Lions but no one seems to be all that afraid of them.  Maybe because they're expensive and anyone who is willing to pay for one is more likely to be a little more responsible instead of some hoodlum walking them with chains and padlocks on their necks?

it's a combination of factors. Some breeds are inherently more aggressive and built differently so that their bite is worse than others. A pit gets its name from being bred to fight other dogs in a pit. Retrievers were bread with soft mouths and good temperament to retrieve game. Little wiener dogs were bred to hunt vermin in small holes. My parents wiener dog is a nasty little shit, but he's like 10 pounds so it's not as scary as my cousins 100+ pound all black Shepard. 

Throw the owners into the equation and many people will buy a pit because it's a pit. They like how they look, they like that they're mean and scary. And yes, there is a demographic of lower middle class and poor urban folks who gravitate towards these dogs for cultural reasons or whatever and they often become abused and mistreated and neglected. 

We can all reflect on some really nice pits we've meant. I have a dozen or so that are harmless lovable dogs. I've also met some nasty mean as shit labs. There are exceptions to every rule. I'll never go and call for a ban on a dog breed like some here. But generally speaking I'm not a fan of pits and would not trust my kids around them just the same as I dont trust them around my cousins Shepard. 

15 hours ago, left field said:

Oh, man, this will go south quickly.

Aggressive to what? A good Jack Russell is aggressive as hell to rats. A good Akbash is aggressive to strangers. A good pitbull is aggressive to dogs.

Now, the JRT is operating in prey drive mostly, the Akbash in defense and the pitbull in fight drive. They all shift easily between those drives but those are the prime motivators that allow them to do their job. So, the JRT will not give up until the rat is dead > prey. The Akbash will drive the threat off then return to the flock > defense. The pit will fight until it cannot overcome the challenge then flip to defense at which point the fight is ended > fight.

Pits get press for a variety of reasons. Small, tenacious and "fearless" dogs appeal to a lot of people. Others love a born fighter. For some it could be historical pride.

image.png.fad16c79e36ef1215966ef0c43314b81.png

I like the breed. Always will, though my interests go to gun dogs these days.

Here's the thing about dogs - a lot of people shouldn't be allowed to own them. Or drive for that matter. Or have kids. Or guns. But, you know ... freedom.

I don't see it going south.  I agree with a lot of what you said. Here is the thing about aggression. In the absence of the focus of the bred target, aggression is easily transferred to an available target. Training is what controls and to some extent supersedes the genetic encoding. 

You hit the nail on the head with your comment about people owning them that shouldn't.  Freedom is a tricky topic when it is exercised  irresponsibly and ends up impacting others. I think there should be stiffer penalties for owners that have dogs (any breed) that has a history and they don't take adequate precautions. I love my dogs but if one ever bit I wouldn't tolerate it. It would be put down. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Every once in  a life you get a dog that just picks up everything quickly and is just perfect. Mine was my Springer Spaniel. Had him 11 years. He was flushing and retrieving to hand at 4 months old. I could steer that dog through the filed with my whistle. The breeder I got him from mentioned putting him in trials more than once but I never wanted to get into that. My wife use to say it was cruel but I could have him lay down on the kitchen floor and put a piece of steak on his paw and tell him to stay. Walk out of the room and come back a half hour later to him still in the same pose staring at the meat. (there was always a big puddle of drool though. (maybe that was why she got mad and not about the dog at all...lol).  One the other side of the coin if you left food on the counter and left the house he would have it in a blink of an eye. 

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Pigmy said:

yeah a bite from a terrier is one thing. a bite from a pit with a locking jaw is another. not all bites are created equal.

Yes, all bites are not created equal, but there's no such thing as a "locking jaw". How would that work? Is there a key to unlock? Combination?

I have probably had 20 or so pits on a suit or arm sleeve. Another 20 bullbreeds - Corsos, Am Bulls, Presas, Neos, Rotts - and the hardest biters were GSDs and large Mals. Size of head, length of muzzle and drive are what make a hard biter.

38 minutes ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

I don't see it going south.  I agree with a lot of what you said. Here is the thing about aggression. In the absence of the focus of the bred target, aggression is easily transferred to an available target. Training is what controls and to some extent supersedes the genetic encoding. 

You hit the nail on the head with your comment about people owning them that shouldn't.  Freedom is a tricky topic when it is exercised  irresponsibly and ends up impacting others. I think there should be stiffer penalties for owners that have dogs (any breed) that has a history and they don't take adequate precautions. I love my dogs but if one ever bit I wouldn't tolerate it. It would be put down. 

Agreed.

Edited by left field

2 hours ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

Every once in  a life you get a dog that just picks up everything quickly and is just perfect. Mine was my Springer Spaniel. Had him 11 years. He was flushing and retrieving to hand at 4 months old. I could steer that dog through the filed with my whistle. The breeder I got him from mentioned putting him in trials more than once but I never wanted to get into that. My wife use to say it was cruel but I could have him lay down on the kitchen floor and put a piece of steak on his paw and tell him to stay. Walk out of the room and come back a half hour later to him still in the same pose staring at the meat. (there was always a big puddle of drool though. (maybe that was why she got mad and not about the dog at all...lol).  One the other side of the coin if you left food on the counter and left the house he would have it in a blink of an eye. 

my golden is that dog. wont chase a dog, kid or deer out of the yard. wont touch a sandwich left on the coffee table. wouldn't hurt a fly but gets a little aggressive with me when i'm play wrestling with the mrs. and i love that about him. we never took him to any training classes, but just raised him right. However, there's no doubt in my mind that he's just a special dog.

• Like 4

house and dog sitted for some friends who had to pure bred pitbulls. their names were Goddy and Capone. when they played with each other anyone who didn't know them would've ran away as fast as they could and thought they were out for blood. they never hurt each other and they were the most obedient dogs i've known. seriously they were raised with love and that every command was to be followed without asking twice. it only gets bad because the breed is capable of doing damage. bad people make bad dogs most of the time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pigmy said:

my golden is that dog. wont chase a dog, kid or deer out of the yard. wont touch a sandwich left on the coffee table. wouldn't hurt a fly but gets a little aggressive with me when i'm play wrestling with the mrs. and i love that about him. we never took him to any training classes, but just raised him right. However, there's no doubt in my mind that he's just a special dog.

Golden’s are indeed “ special “. Outside the left out sammich you nailed the description of ours. Sweetest natured dogs ever. Wife n I would gently pull ears and tail of our prior golden “ this may occur with our then toddler “   Never a problem.  Genuinely sweet breed for sure 

• Like 1

You hit the nail on the head with your comment about people owning them that shouldn't.  Freedom is a tricky topic when it is exercised  irresponsibly and ends up impacting others. I think there should be stiffer penalties for owners that have dogs

Scary to think if “guns” were substituted for “dogs” in this discussion some might be arguing against freedom to bare any gun.

Oops-pigmy(the fake one!) beat me to it- I would say great minds think a like but I know what I bring to the table so...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

17 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Golden’s are indeed “ special “. Outside the left out sammich you nailed the description of ours. Sweetest natured dogs ever. Wife n I would gently pull ears and tail of our prior golden “ this may occur with our then toddler “   Never a problem.  Genuinely sweet breed for sure 

yeah I was taught that it's good to "mess with them" as puppies. We had Riley well before we had kids, but knew that was probably in the future so we'd pull on his tail when eating and gently mess with him here and there while he was eating aka inhaling his food. And the kids who are now 7, 4 and 2 are great with him but have certainly messed with him and I'm glad we prepped for it haha.

the only obvious complaint... the hair. oh god the hair.

• Like 1

My Brittany has a great temperament with the kids but some of that was taught. As a puppy I would poke and pull and probe areas that I knew my babies would explore.

I have great videos of my daughter “playing doctor” with him as the patient. He laid on the floor with a Big Bird blood pressure pump on one paw, an Ernie thermometer crammed in his mouth and a reflex tester used to check his ears! He laid there and looked at me like, “are you seriously letting this happen?!?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk