Katahdin

Jdubs

On Friday I made the 9+ hour drive up to Millinocket, ME to set up base camp at Big Moose Inn and Cabins.  Fairly exhausted, the first order of business was to crack open a beer (see beer thread) and then start a fire.  The camp sites are ok, but the main Inn, including the "Loose Moose" bar has tons of character!  And right next door is the coolest Trading Post I could have asked for.  

Yesterday was pretty much a day to rest and relax.  I also met a former ranger at Chimney Pond in Baxter Park and he gave me all kinds of local knowledge about the "hill" that you won't find in any hiking guides.  So Monday I'm heading up, weather permitting, of course.

Here are a few shots of Katahdin from various spots around the area.  I also saw a couple of bald eagles (pics on my cam, not cell) and this sea plane at sunset.  Really stoked for the walk up tomorrow!  

20190728_103450.jpg

20190728_103536.jpg

20190728_135214.jpg

20190727_204116.jpg

• Like 18

30 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Love it, glad you went! Get on that Golden Road for mooooose sightings! 

You can see the Knife Edge on the right, thats you J...

So glad you gave me your insights into Maine!  Loving it here!!

One of those pics was taken on Abol bridge.  Didn't see a moose...yet!  There's a t-storm blowing through right now so I'm staying dry on the Inn's porch.  VERY glad I decided to come back in early from kayaking!

• Like 1

Just now, Jdubs said:

So glad you gave me your insights into Maine!  Loving it here!!

One of those pics was taken on Abol bridge.  Didn't see a moose...yet!  There's a t-storm blowing through right now so I'm staying dry on the Inn's porch.  VERY glad I decided to come back in early from kayaking!

Glad I could help a bit, it is a very special area to me.  It might become even more special this trip next month.  Hey I thought that bridge looked familiar! I wish you could Kokadjo....be safe, enjoy, and thanks for sharing!  

Did the Ranger tell you how cold it has been at the summit in the mornings? I heard from a local that throughout history, it has snowed once in EACH month at the summit....

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Bionic said:

Glad I could help a bit, it is a very special area to me.  It might become even more special this trip next month.  Hey I thought that bridge looked familiar! I wish you could Kokadjo....be safe, enjoy, and thanks for sharing!  

Did the Ranger tell you how cold it has been at the summit in the mornings? I heard from a local that throughout history, it has snowed once in EACH month at the summit....

The guy I spoke with said the exact same thing to another hiker that asked him some questions.  That's pretty crazy!  And to think I left my mitts at home.  No snow risk now, but maybe I'll pack some hand warmers, just in case.

• Like 1

Engagement?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jdubs said:

The guy I spoke with said the exact same thing to another hiker that asked him some questions.  That's pretty crazy!  And to think I left my mitts at home.  No snow risk now, but maybe I'll pack some hand warmers, just in case.

Really interesting, and cool to hear that from another source! Just love it up there.

• Like 1

29 years ago this week my wife and I climbed Katadin on our honeymoon. That just confirmed for me that she was a keeper. Didn’t know a thing about the trail but found a brochure and set off from Bar Harbor to make the climb. A wicked long climb and snow on the flanks but made it up and back in a long day. The drive into Katahdin was more dangerous than the climb with log trucks hauling ass down one and a half lane dirt roads. 

Also one of the first craft beers I ever enjoyed, Maine Brewery was in the basement of a house at the time. 

Damn, time flies by...

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Jdubs- ever hike Chimney Mtn in Indian lake?   beautiful spot.  A short hike for a fella like you though but such a nice area there.  

And hoping one day to be in Maine myself - but chasing a moose!  Have a great trip! 

I have not, but multiple people have recommended it.:good:

Many more pics to come when I get home, but can I just say, FUCK YEAH!!!  Up the Cathedral trail (what in the hell was I thinking!) across Knife Edge (insane) and down the Helon Taylor.  I have never been more psyched and terrified in my life!!! 

20190729_185446.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Many more pics to come when I get home, but can I just say, FUCK YEAH!!!  Up the Cathedral trail (what in the hell was I thinking!) across Knife Edge (insane) and down the Helon Taylor.  I have never been more psyched and terrified in my life!!! 
20190729_185446.thumb.jpg.7d008e496b09a00df7e220cda99e8485.jpg

Excited just to see the pics and terrified to just read the names!!! Really cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Bionic said:

Whhhhaaaat! You did Cathedral? J is a sick basterd lol.

congratulations!

thats a big deal, cannot wait for pics

Yeah, right?!  2150' of elevation gain in just 1.2 miles!  It's straight up boulder climbing!!!

Not even kidding, but Knife Edge was easier. :haha:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jdubs said:

Yeah, right?!  2150' of elevation gain in just 1.2 miles!  It's straight up boulder climbing!!!

Not even kidding, but Knife Edge was easier. :haha:

I remember watching people climb up cathedral across the valley from the easy trail i was climbing(lol)....cathedral is deadly, it looked comically dangerous.

glad you experienced it!

when are you headed back?

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 3:02 PM, Bionic said:

I remember watching people climb up cathedral across the valley from the easy trail i was climbing(lol)....cathedral is deadly, it looked comically dangerous.

glad you experienced it!

when are you headed back?

I'm back home now.  Working on editing all the pics. 

• Like 3